TCCANARY

Patrick Roberts & the NCFC model

Striker who played for Celtic.

And.

La Liga player who played for a team who got relegated.

Β Is a Pukki/Buendia hybrid what we need.?πŸ˜€

Β 

8 minutes ago, TCCANARY said:

Striker who played for Celtic.

And.

La Liga player who played for a team who got relegated.

Β Is a Pukki/Buendia hybrid what we need.?πŸ˜€

Β 

Well at least he'll be used to scrapping for points.

Just got to have faith in our fantastic management team on any transfers.

even they will not get everyone right, but some of their signing have been beyond belief.

Clearly a bit harder now we are in the PL, as clubs know we have the cash.

recruitment is the most difficult thing as a manager, even Ferguson got many wrong, but if a club is successful the failures are soon forgotten. Our poor signings have already been forgotten.

Well he's been compared to, else likened to Messi in recent years (just Google Patrick Roberts/England's Messi or similar) into Google, that's all he needs!!

He shone at Celtic. All very well calling it a pub league but pub league or not, if you're crap and play in a pub league, then you look crap. I did and was.

He is coming off that same 'generation X' as the lad we signed from Spurs, Ravel Morrison (now playing in Sweden) and Phil Foden. Big season for Foden coming up 19/20, he's pushed on a little last time out and Man City are adamant he isn't going anywhere on loan but if he doesn't break into their 1st team soon, he might want away-but then does he become another Jack Rodwell or Scott Sinclair?

Remember Ched Evans when we had him on loan? Looked the real deal and then some-but whatever it was he had, he threw away.

So many young players explode onto the scene and everyone hangs their hats on them. Aaron Lennon was another. Some fade away, some do OK, some implode.

Roberts has, at least, been a little bit under the radar in Spain-maybe not quite so much expectancy and hype as there could have been had he gone toΒ  a Prem team after Celtic?

Hope we sign him, he could end up being POTS this time next year-or he maybe another David Bentley. Them's the risks. But the fact we have chosen to put our faith in him and have faith he'll work into our club culture is encouraging.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

be prepared to be blown away

(best turn your sound down)

picks a through ball like Hoolahan, scores like Steiperman and runs at defenders like Onel - if we get him he will be one of our signings of the past decade or more

Β 

Β 

He has been much hyped over the years, which at his current age shows how long he has been good enough for first team football.

There's definitely a gem of a player in there and I'm certain with the right attitude and the right coaching he can shine for us (if we do actually sign him)

• Like 1

Look at what Farke has done for pretty much every other player in our squad. He's got every player playing at the peak of their potential. If he can do that with Roberts we'll have a hell of a player, but it may take him a few weeks or months to reach his potentialΒ like with Zimbo, Vrancic, Leitner, Stiepermann, Hernandez, McLean and Buendia and even Maddison who looked pretty good at the start of last season but by the half way point was already a greatly improved player and looked a clear cut above the Championship.Β 

Β 

Look at what happened with Hernandez as the best and most relevant example, came in with potential but looked very ropey, didn't have great close control, didn't track back at all and end product was non existent, Farke greatly improved him in each of those areas, if he can improve Roberts, who is younger and has much higher potential, to the same degree then Man City will probably want him in their squad the season after next

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

He played out wide at Celtic, not as a striker. I've not seen him at Girona but presume from his lack of goals that he was deployed as a winger there too.

I suspect Farke sees him as competition for Hernandez and Buendia. Add Cantwell to the list and I think that's us sorted in that department.

Sensible signing, should do a job and has the potential to be a star.

33 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Look at what Farke has done for pretty much every other player in our squad. He's got every player playing at the peak of their potential. If he can do that with Roberts we'll have a hell of a player, but it may take him a few weeks or months to reach his potentialΒ like with Zimbo, Vrancic, Leitner, Stiepermann, Hernandez, McLean and Buendia and even Maddison who looked pretty good at the start of last season but by the half way point was already a greatly improved player and looked a clear cut above the Championship.Β 

Β 

Look at what happened with Hernandez as the best and most relevant example, came in with potential but looked very ropey, didn't have great close control, didn't track back at all and end product was non existent, Farke greatly improved him in each of those areas, if he can improve Roberts, who is younger and has much higher potential, to the same degree then Man City will probably want him in their squad the season after next

It's an interesting question whether Maddison would have improved more under Farke than he has in the last season. I think he would and that is why our young stars should continue to develop and play at Norwich.Β 

Maddison should have broken into the full England side but didn't.Β 

Transfermarkt has his as a winger or attacking midfielder.Β 

Don't think he's competition for an out and out striker

Written off prior to signing as pub league experience, lack of ambition, couldn't cut it elsewhere...steadily wins miserablist fans over...becomes firm fan favourite and player of the year, fans all then proclaim "I always knew he was going to be good". :classic_rolleyes:

Very much like Pukki. πŸ‘πŸ˜‚

Apples

• Like 1

Would be a good loan signing, I agree he's one of those players who always seemed to have "potential" but never seemed to make the grade for Man City (which is stupidly high admittedly)

If we can get him on loan, 22 years old and we get him playing to his potential as we have with other players we are on a win/win, we get the benefit of him for a year, plus he's homegrown. It also puts us in good lights as a place to send other young talents!

Fingers crossed we'd negotiate a buy clause that is reasonable (unlike Rhodes' reported 7million) but even if not this is a good option to challenge Buendia my only concern is whether this opens the door for Cantwell to go out on loan again.

I will trust Webber and Farke to do the right thing as I am one of the doubters who said Pukki would never amount to anything when he signed.Β Just goes to show what I know!Β 

Β 

50 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

Transfermarkt has his as a winger or attacking midfielder.Β 

Don't think he's competition for an out and out striker

may be that's because that is not how we generally play, as goals are often scored by players settingthemselves up for a shot out/on the edge of the box.... steipermann, vrancic, buendia, onel

57 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

It's an interesting question whether Maddison would have improved more under Farke than he has in the last season. I think he would and that is why our young stars should continue to develop and play at Norwich.Β 

Maddison should have broken into the full England side but didn't.Β 

I don't think another season in the second tier would have helped his England cause much.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bill said:

may be that's because that is not how we generally play, as goals are often scored by players settingthemselves up for a shot out/on the edge of the box.... steipermann, vrancic, buendia, onel

Sure. I think he'd be an excellent signing competing with the guys you mention.Β 

I'd like to see someone to compete directly with Pukki still +/- Rhodes

• Like 1

It would be impressive to get a signing through this early.Β  I don't know anything about him, but it all sounds good and our recruitment team have done wellΒ recently so I'll take it on faith.

3 hours ago, Old Shuck said:

Well he's been compared to, else likened to Messi in recent years (just Google Patrick Roberts/England's Messi or similar) into Google, that's all he needs!!

He shone at Celtic. All very well calling it a pub league but pub league or not, if you're crap and play in a pub league, then you look crap. I did and was.

He is coming off that same 'generation X' as the lad we signed from Spurs, Ravel Morrison (now playing in Sweden) and Phil Foden. Big season for Foden coming up 19/20, he's pushed on a little last time out and Man City are adamant he isn't going anywhere on loan but if he doesn't break into their 1st team soon, he might want away-but then does he become another Jack Rodwell or Scott Sinclair?

Remember Ched Evans when we had him on loan? Looked the real deal and then some-but whatever it was he had, he threw away.

So many young players explode onto the scene and everyone hangs their hats on them. Aaron Lennon was another. Some fade away, some do OK, some implode.

Roberts has, at least, been a little bit under the radar in Spain-maybe not quite so much expectancy and hype as there could have been had he gone toΒ  a Prem team after Celtic?

Hope we sign him, he could end up being POTS this time next year-or he maybe another David Bentley. Them's the risks. But the fact we have chosen to put our faith in him and have faith he'll work into our club culture is encouraging.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Having never heard of this player...

Β It reminds me of when we got David Bentley on loan. Wenger had praised him to the skies, saying what fantastic technique he had. Bentley had a decent career, but nothing like as starry as was expected.

I think even hard-headed managers and coaches can sometimes get carried away when they see a player who is technically gifted, because that blinds them to a lack off some of the more earthy attributes needed to make a player overall.

I think that may have been the case with some of those mentioned by Old Shuck, such as Morrison. No reason to think it is true of Roberts, although he is now at an age when he needs to push on.

Looking at it with fresh eyes nothing to get excited about. Could do well could not.Β 

However its a good signing as it fits the bill of getting in cheap players to fill up the squad and plus as it's a loan theres no long term commitment. If he does well we pay splash the cash to get him, if we are good enough for him.

Secondly there is the potential. He was a big player for celtic especially in the champions League campaign (group stage), played in la liga and seems generally well thought of

15 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Β It reminds me of when we got David Bentley on loan. Wenger had praised him to the skies, saying what fantastic technique he had. Bentley had a decent career, but nothing like as starry as was expected.

I think even hard-headed managers and coaches can sometimes get carried away when they see a player who is technically gifted, because that blinds them to a lack off some of the more earthy attributes needed to make a player overall.

I think that may have been the case with some of those mentioned by Old Shuck, such as Morrison. No reason to think it is true of Roberts, although he is now at an age when he needs to push on.

Don't really think that Bentley is a good comparison.

He got fed up of the game and retired. Perhaps his heart was never really in it.

31 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Don't really think that Bentley is a good comparison.

He got fed up of the game and retired. Perhaps his heart was never really in it.

This could be chicken and egg! Perhaps Bentley got fed up because he wasn't having the career he thought he would have, and that others envisaged. And/or if his heart had never really been in the game that would be a factor as well. I wasn't saying this was the case with Roberts. If anything the comparison was with Ravel Morrison, who by all accounts was fantastically gifted, but...

This guy seems to fit the mould.

Good pedigree > overhyped > fell away.

They come here get mega fit and get rebuilt in a supportive environment.

Looks to have outstanding technique but that only gets you so far in the premier league which is full of very strong and very fast 6ft + athletes.

They have seen something in him though maybe another x% they can extract with fitness and mentality.

Β 

Edited by Fromage Frais

I can't see any possible problem with a striker called Patrick joining us on loan from a top PL club 😌

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fromage Frais said:

This guy seems to fit the mould.

Good pedigree > overhyped > fell away.

They come here get mega fit and get rebuilt in a supportive environment.

Looks to have outstanding technique but that only gets you so far in the premier league which is full of very strong and very fast 6ft + athletes.

They have seen something in him though maybe another x% they can extract with fitness and mentality.

Β 

His season at Girona was difficult due initial adaptation issues and then injury.Β Β 

After a run of starts, Marca had described him as a β€˜marvel’ and that fans should β€˜remember his name’ and he hadΒ excellent performances versus Espanyol and Atletico Madrid. He received a standing ovation in the latter game.Β 

Unfortunately for him a long injury meant he lost his place in the team andΒ while he was injuredΒ the team changed formation and he became a bit part player.Β 

He was very good in the SPL which is full of more bruisers than the Premier League. So he should be okay. Anyway, if teams have to foul him then Norwich get lots of set pieces for Vrancic to score from.Β 

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

I really can't see any comparison with Bentley or Morrison.

Morrison had a notoriously bad attitude and off field issues that led to him bombing out of several clubs.

Bentley was an entirely unproven youngster.

Roberts has a good amount of experience under his belt- he's one that probably won't make the mark at Man City but could do in the Premier League.

Just looking at the title of this post and thinking to myself...

"No wonder he wants to come here. Already pulled a model..."

I'll get my coat.

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

I really can't see any comparison with Bentley or Morrison.

Morrison had a notoriously bad attitude and off field issues that led to him bombing out of several clubs.

Bentley was an entirely unproven youngster.

Roberts has a good amount of experience under his belt- he's one that probably won't make the mark at Man City but could do in the Premier League.

I seem to remember David Bentley being pretty good for Norwich that season.Β 

Roberts has almost 100 senior appearances already in his career, about the same amount as Ravel Morrison has now. Although Scotland isn’t the best league in the worldΒ the pressure of playing for Celtic, especially as a young player, can be overwhelming. He seemed to excel in that environment.Β 

I think he can make a good contribution, but if not then it isn’t going to cost Norwich a huge amount of cash.Β