Sign in to follow this  
Trent Canary

We may be finally playing the 4-3-3 formation tomorrow!

Anglia tonight reported that we may be using the 4-3-3 formation with Mcveigh and Hucks playing behind Ashton. Which finally enough is the formation ive been calling for all season, one similar to Chelsea, so im hoping they use it!

I would hope for Green in goal, the usual back four (But with Charlie in place of davenport, The saints have pace up front so its obvious which of Flem and charlie is the better bet)

In midfield we should have safri in a makelele role, (Disrupting attacks, receiving and passing the ball about as mulryne used to do) Then two other midfielders, I cant remember who is and isnt fit!

Then as mentioned, Mcveigh and hucks playing the role of Robben/duff etc. Behind Ashton.

Ive been convinced all season that this would be our best formation, I wont hold my breathe that it will be deployed. But if it is, and it works, ill have a little smile on my face! (Or alternatively a, "Damn, ive wasted several posts on this rubbish formation that hasnt worked" face)

Back from uni now, so will be attending my first game in a while (Think my last game was Reading, seems a while ago!) So my ratings will come back, keep your eyes peeled!

Hope you enjoy the game young man. I think your formation has a lot of merit and I would definately like to see it given a go. Come back with an update if anything like it is used.

A 4-3-3  is obviously better than the timid   formations Nigel usually  puts up !  

My gut feeling  is that  it should be 3-3-4  formation  .... with Deano , McVeigh , Hucks , Flemmo   [ yes Flemmo !! ]    up there supporting each other  .

Why  do I think  this formation would work ?

Deano couldn`t complain about isolation 

Hucks  will be where he should be, at the heart of attack

McVeigh can prove  he`s not a one match wonder

Flemmo    because he always gives it 100%    , and can score !  

I do realise  there`ll be much scorn  forthcoming , couldn`t care less !    attack IS the  best defence ,  if we drop back into the usual defence mode ,we`ll  be dead meat   against Soton  .... this  formation   can , and will  , score goals   ,  and if it takes the long ball to feed them .. then so be it !    are we  in any position   to go all asthetic  about our style ?  [Y]

this is the best formation the team can use and it should have been used since day one. Ashton needs service which he gets, hux and McVeigh are also capable of goals and our midfield are bypassed anyway so its perfect

i would have to agree 4-3-3 is definatly worth a go,the last time i can

remember us using it was about a third of the way through the

championship season and we all no what effect that had on us then

fingers crossed it will happen again :).

[quote user="steve hale"]i would have to agree 4-3-3 is definatly worth a go,the last time i can remember us using it was about a third of the way through the championship season and we all no what effect that had on us then fingers crossed it will happen again :).
[/quote]

To be honest I think there was a slight difference between my idea, and the one used two seasons ago. Although in name they are 4-3-3, the one we had two years ago was 4-3-1-2 with hucks as the one and svensson and leon as the 2. I want a 4-3-2-1, with Deano as the one and hucks and WLY as the two. Back then hucks was good enough to be our main creative threat by himself, now that most teams clamp down on him we need someone else to help. I just think with two talented runners on the ball, who unfortuanetly arent true wingers, they would be best utilized coming from deep and running at defenders. Although if you wanted a formation like we had two years ago then Ickle Paul could go up with Deano, it is his natural position after all (Not that Worthy knows this!)