6 minutes ago, king canary said:

He was a striker for a fair bit of his career. He was great for us but was always considered to be one of those who never quite cut it at the top level before his one season with us in the Premier League.

Oh, really? I must've imagined him finishing in the top 10 Premier League goalscorers in a mid-table side in 1998.

10 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Oh, really? I must've imagined him finishing in the top 10 Premier League goalscorers in a mid-table side in 1998.

Fair but that was the exception not the rule. He struggled badly at Leeds and only made an impact at Man City when they got relegated.

Struggled badly? 9 starts, plus a further 20 plus appearances from the bench, with a few goals and assists, in a team that finished 3rd in the Premier League.

Blimey, tough crowd.

11 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Struggled badly? 9 starts, plus a further 20 plus appearances from the bench, with a few goals and assists, in a team that finished 3rd in the Premier League.

Blimey, tough crowd.

They paid £5m for a striker who scored two league goals. You'd really struggle to find a Leeds fan who disagrees with that assesment of his time there...

9 hours ago, king canary said:

They paid £5m for a striker who scored two league goals. You'd really struggle to find a Leeds fan who disagrees with that assesment of his time there...

Having just splashed 7 mill on Bamford, I'm not sure that Leeds fans' assessment is anything to go by. 

On 31/05/2019 at 23:37, splendidrush said:

Having just splashed 7 mill on Bamford, I'm not sure that Leeds fans' assessment is anything to go by. 

Did the Leeds fans sign Bamford?!?

Someone who makes 29 appearances, even when most are off the bench, in a side that finished 3rd in the Premiership, is not what you'd call a failure at that level. 

The idea that Huckerby is in the Jerome category of good in the Champs, can't cut it in the Prem, is TWTD-level football logic. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Did the Leeds fans sign Bamford?!?

No, but given the choice, I know which one they'd prefer, besides, Huckerby, in my mind was never a striker, always a winger. 

Reports from Newcastle this weekend that they want £10m for him, but believe an ambitious Championship club may pay £15m. 

Gayle is an interesting case where a Championship is probably more able to spend more on him, due to his proven record at that level. £10m still feels steep for Norwich to pay for him, considering their needs. 

13 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Someone who makes 29 appearances, even when most are off the bench, in a side that finished 3rd in the Premiership, is not what you'd call a failure at that level. 

The idea that Huckerby is in the Jerome category of good in the Champs, can't cut it in the Prem, is TWTD-level football logic. 

I wouldn't call Huckerby a failure at Premier League level but as his career progressed he became a bit of a yo-yo player, always looking a stand out in the Championship but not so much at the top level.

I'm confused as to whether you're claiming he wasn't a failure at Leeds though, where he clearly was.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Reports from Newcastle this weekend that they want £10m for him, but believe an ambitious Championship club may pay £15m. 

Gayle is an interesting case where a Championship is probably more able to spend more on him, due to his proven record at that level. £10m still feels steep for Norwich to pay for him, considering their needs. 

I assume there is next to zero chance of Isak coming here, but if it is true that Borussia Dortmund are only asking 6m (pounds or euros?) then that would be a better move for us than Gayle. Supposedly Anderlecht are very keen on Isak, but they don't have European football next season, so he might look elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I assume there is next to zero chance of Isak coming here, but if it is true that Borussia Dortmund are only asking 6m (pounds or euros?) then that would be a better move for us than Gayle. Supposedly Anderlecht are very keen on Isak, but they don't have European football next season, so he might look elsewhere.

Would be a heck of a signing.

33 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Zero chance. 

Strange that Dortmund want to sell, but they do tend to cut their losses on players quite quick if they don’t feel they will make it. Was shocked how quickly they move Emre Mor on, but that has probably proven to be the right move. 

If they do look to sell Iask a bidding war will kick off pretty quickly and the fee will quickly rise above £6m. 

5 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Zero chance. 

Strange that Dortmund want to sell, but they do tend to cut their losses on players quite quick if they don’t feel they will make it. Was shocked how quickly they move Emre Mor on, but that has probably proven to be the right move. 

If they do look to sell Iask a bidding war will kick off pretty quickly and the fee will quickly rise above £6m. 

Isak seems tough to get a read on.

You can see reports from this year linking him with moves to Chelsea and Real yet he ended up on loan at a midtable Dutch side and is being linked with a €9m move to the Belgian League.

If that's the case you'd wonder if he's more of an achievable target than we might think.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Isak seems tough to get a read on.

You can see reports from this year linking him with moves to Chelsea and Real yet he ended up on loan at a midtable Dutch side and is being linked with a €9m move to the Belgian League.

If that's the case you'd wonder if he's more of an achievable target than we might think.

There is a certain amount of hype to cut through with Isak. I don’t think he’ll end up at somewhere like Real or Barcelona where he has been linked to previously. But if he seems to be available for less than €10m, I can see clubs like Arsenal, Shalke, Lyon etc taking a bit of a punt on him.

If he doesn’t do wonderfully with them, then he has enough credit in the bank to be able to get €5m in a season or two - so clubs will see him as pretty low risk. Even without his good reputation a striker who has scored lots and looked great in Holland is going to be worth €6/€7m. I imagine he’ll go somewhere for around €12m in the end. 

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

There is a certain amount of hype to cut through with Isak. I don’t think he’ll end up at somewhere like Real or Barcelona where he has been linked to previously. But if he seems to be available for less than €10m, I can see clubs like Arsenal, Shalke, Lyon etc taking a bit of a punt on him.

If he doesn’t do wonderfully with them, then he has enough credit in the bank to be able to get €5m in a season or two - so clubs will see him as pretty low risk. Even without his good reputation a striker who has scored lots and looked great in Holland is going to be worth €6/€7m. I imagine he’ll go somewhere for around €12m in the end. 

Yeah I could see that. I'd like to believe we can compete with a team like Anderlecht though.

It's a key position for us as if Pukki gets injured or fails to make an impact we'll need quality cover. Gayle is better than Rhodes and the sort of player I'd rather have playing for us than against us. A possibilty but we need better in my view.

18 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Zero chance. 

Oh well. He scored a hat-trick of penalties in one league game recently, which is three times the number our miscellaneous takers managed all season...

He doesn't seem to have lived up to the hype yet, but even so would be a good acquisition for some club.

Can't pretend to know much about Isak at all, but does sound like the kind of punt we could well be looking at?

We aren't going to be able to spend enough to get someone in that'd be both effective in the Prem and happy to be behind Pukki.

9 minutes ago, kirku said:

Can't pretend to know much about Isak at all, but does sound like the kind of punt we could well be looking at?

We aren't going to be able to spend enough to get someone in that'd be both effective in the Prem and happy to be behind Pukki.

I liked 'Wicked Game' and 'Blue Hotel'. 🎶

9 hours ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

I liked 'Wicked Game' and 'Blue Hotel'. 🎶

Yeah, but do you reckon that we could get a tune out of him?