According to evening news (prob rumour)we could be looking at him, Thoughts I would straightaway otbc

1 minute ago, Hucks6 said:

According to evening news (prob rumour)we could be looking at him, Thoughts I would straightaway otbc

If we could tone his wages down a bit then it would be a yes from me too.

Sign him up! He'd be great competition for Pukki if the price is right. Those two to fight over the shirt, and then someone else (Rhodes?) to act as cover.

The only downside (purely from a footballing perspective) is that Gayle and Pukki are too similar. It would help maintain the continuity of our play but it doesn't give us much of a plan B.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Aren't we supposed to be getting players that are non-contaminated with PL experience, so we can keep a fresh approach?

What?

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Aren't we supposed to be getting players that are non-contaminated with PL experience, so we can keep a fresh approach?

I'm sure he will undergo a whole host of psychological testing before he signs to confirm whether the stigma of past failures still hangs over him.

I'd definitely take him. He'd offer something different - a bit of pace, and an excellent poacher. Plus he's always been regarded well by the clubs he's played for - no signs of him being a troublemaker etc. Don't think his work off the ball is brilliant but that's what we have Stiepermann, Buendia etc for. Think he'd fit in well and would be a better option than Rhodes.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

What?

I had no idea what that meant either - plus Rhodes has been "contaminated with PL experience" anyway - he couldn't get a game at Middlesbrough.

Much better player than Rhodes so would prioritise bringing him in. 

If worst comes to worst and Norwich are relegated Gayle has proven time and time again he is one of the best at that level. 

As others have said it comes down to price, he’ll be on good money and Newcastle will want a decent fee for him. 

15 minutes ago, Molly Windley said:

29 this year,  value will depreciate at high rate over the next 3 years

We have travelled this route before

A year younger than Rhodes. If it is one or the other, I know which I’d prefer. 

If we could afford Gayle it would be a great move, but I doubt we can. 

5 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

A year younger than Rhodes. If it is one or the other, I know which I’d prefer. 

Age-wise he’s barely different to Pukki (who is I believe c5 months younger).  I think Holt signed for us at 28 and had his best years at around 30.  Some strikers are in their prime at that age. 

I understand Lakey’s sentiment...there is a hint of top-grade journeyman about Gayle, plus it isn’t strictly in line with over-arching philosophy, though the truth is that you break the rules for strikers. 

Could keep you up. Fits the playing model. Back up and/or real competition for Pukki. Would probably stay if relegated. Would score goals in Championship. 

A lot to like there.

Parma 

1 hour ago, king canary said:
1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

What? 

It has stated that we will looking to be getting in people who are uncluttered with mental baggage from being in the PL. 

I agree that would discount Rhodes too, but he at least fits the criteria of wanting to give everything for this club, which he has demonstrated form day one of his loan here.  

Edited by lake district canary

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It has stated that we will looking to be getting in people who are uncluttered with mental baggage from being in the PL. 

I agree that would discount Rhodes too, but he at least fits the criteria of wanting to give everything for this club, which he has demonstrated form day one of his loan here.  

Has it? Where?

It was a slightly strange swap of Gayle for Rondon this season, but at the time most seemed to agree that they were both more suited to the level they’d moved to....Gayle is a top-six proven Champs striker - but perhaps deserves another pop at the PL.

I agree with Bethnal that if it was a direct choice of him or Rhodes, I’d plump for Gayle - he also gives the added ‘insurance’ of near-guaranteed goals if we were relegated.

Edited by Branston Pickle

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Has it? Where?

I think Webber said something along the lines of not going for players that have been tainted by failure in the premier league after the Blackburn game, but I could of imagined it.

Found the quote...

“Everyone told us to get out of the Championship you needed experience, and we are the least experienced ever to get promoted, in terms of minutes on the pitch. Now it's we need Premier League experience.

“Unfortunately the ones we could afford with that experience have all been relegated.

“So do we bring in eight players used to losing or find five used to winning and maybe will be naïve at times but have an ambition to prove they can play at that level, rather than they are scared.”

Not sure Gayle quite fits that description but it is an interesting point of view. Not sure I agree with it mind you.

13 minutes ago, Darth Canary1 said:

I think Webber said something along the lines of not going for players that have been tainted by failure in the premier league after the Blackburn game, but I could of imagined it.

Has he been that exposed to that much Premier league? I'm asking not suggesting anything. 

Plus I don't really buy in to the philosophy that they failed at one club so will do the same again, different teams play in different ways and some players are better suited to a different style. 

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Found the quote...

“Everyone told us to get out of the Championship you needed experience, and we are the least experienced ever to get promoted, in terms of minutes on the pitch. Now it's we need Premier League experience.

“Unfortunately the ones we could afford with that experience have all been relegated.

“So do we bring in eight players used to losing or find five used to winning and maybe will be naïve at times but have an ambition to prove they can play at that level, rather than they are scared.”

Not sure Gayle quite fits that description but it is an interesting point of view. Not sure I agree with it mind you.

I don’t think Webber was setting out a hard and fast transfer policy. The club have always been flexible in the type of players they recruit - who have all been a range of ages, level of experience etc. 

Also, I think that was more about signing players from relegated clubs. At the moment Gayle is coming from a team that has been winning from being at WBA...

It's  a huge yes from me.  Exactly the sort of striker that suits our playing style. Mobile, sharp of the mark, works hard, good running off the ball, a real poacher to finish off the chances. Many similarities with Pukki. Not a big target man or hold up merchant but that's not what we need. 

Edited by Hairy Canary

The big issue with both Rhodes and Gayle...even more so with Gayle..is the presumed huge cost of the transfer fee..so could it not be a possibility that we could get either guy as a loan?..both are used to being loaned out, we could likely pay wages and for this moment in time the one importance maybe is trying to stay up in the first season back in the Prem.

19 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

It's  a huge yes from me.  Exactly the sort of striker that suits our playing style. Mobile, sharp of the mark, works hard, good running off the ball, a real poacher to finish off the chances. Many similarities with Pukki. Not a big target man or hold up merchant but that's not what we need. 

The lad we've been linked to from Galatasary seems to be more of a big target man type- 6 foot 4 and scores quite a few headers. Won't happen but adding him and Gayle would be great!