3 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

"If I'm offended then you're clearly offended by me...being offended?"

Can I have a translation please?

Like I said, seek and you will find.

Offence or not, to take the moral high ground over nothing but a clumsy posting on a football forum and about event which had many consequences, not least for our own club, is rather ludicrous.

This is a forum devoted to NCFC after all. 

Each to his own.

To be even more ludicrous, how about focusing upon those killed at the Battle of Hastings when admiring the splendid features of the Norman Castle that dominates our city.

Probably even sillier than Bristol's example, but where is it supposed to end? 

It ends in the totally logical place of 'when mentioning the anniversary of a disaster that killed 39 people you should probably make it about those 39 people.'

It really isn't that hard...

"It really isn't that hard..."

So that's the beginning and end of the point you wish to make then?

Swindon, your clumsy, nay callous posting has earned you the wrath of the snowflake brigade it seems.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

"It really isn't that hard..."

So that's the beginning and end of the point you wish to make then?

Swindon, your clumsy, nay callous posting has earned you the wrath of the snowflake brigade it seems.

'Snowflake'

'Offended'

It's like a bingo card. I just need a 'cuck' and I'm at full house.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, king canary said:

In the running for 'worst point of all time.'

Along with the point Ipswich took off us at Portman Road this season. :classic_dry:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

This won’t end well 

The blue touchpaper was indeed lit FF!

I'm going for 6 pages by the end of the day with ever-longer replies on each.

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Neither would City fans have likely caused trouble when travelling. 

Well, they did in Milan. We had and probably still have our share of idiots.

I love that BroadstairsR genuinely believes he's clever. David Dunning and Justin Kruger would be eminently grateful. 

8 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Well, they did in Milan. We had and probably still have our share of idiots.

I think you need to put some meat on the bones because that is not at all how i remember that day.

15 hours ago, king canary said:

It is significant because 39 people died, not because we didn't get to go to Europe and not because people want to do some petty point scoring with Liverpool.

That's why I stated that Liverpool tend to 'sweep it under the carpet', in no way was I belittling the poor Juventus fans. but the fact still remains, it was us who paid for it.

9 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

That's why I stated that Liverpool tend to 'sweep it under the carpet', in no way was I belittling the poor Juventus fans. but the fact still remains, it was us who paid for it.

I doubt there's many of 'us' who still regret our not playing in Europe in those following years - certainly not as many as the family and friends of those who were killed who still 'regret' the loss of their loved ones in such an horrific manner.

I have to wonder sometimes, if you are 'right in the head' given what you post.

7 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I love that BroadstairsR genuinely believes he's clever. David Dunning and Justin Kruger would be eminently grateful. 

News to me.

I guess that makes one of us at least, despite the 'trying to be clever,' obscure references.

I suppose that this is in response to my defense of Swindon and my belief that any reference to the awful events at Heysel, some 34 years on, need not necessarily turn into an elegy for those that did not return from it.

Oh well! A mention is a mention, no matter how weirdly encompassed and crudely analysed.

Edited by BroadstairsR

8 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

It was the 39 victims, as well as their friends and family, who "paid for it". And, if you are going to go along that insensitive route, Norwich City were not the only team denied European competition. Try putting your brain in gear for once 👍

• Confused 1

I think Swindon is just, somewhat awkwardly admittedly, relating his point back to Norwich City. It's is undeniable that it affected us and obviously it's not the key thing to take from the disaster but it is entirely relevant on a Norwich City discussion forum.

5 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Oh well! A mention is a mention, no matter how weirdly encompassed and crudely analysed.

How very millennial, chasing likes and mentions.

Is BroadstairsR a bit of a snowflake?!

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

How very millennial, chasing likes and mentions.

Is BroadstairsR a bit of a snowflake?!

I never quite get what you are at.

Are you a bit of a weirdo?

There's probably a little bit of the 'snowflake' in all of us, including you as your need to make speedy retort to my previous posting suggests.

12 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I think you need to put some meat on the bones because that is not at all how i remember that day.

Three or four were arrested on our coach for fighting in the city after the game and didn't make the flight back. I doubt they were the only ones.

It may be light all around your own world, doesn't mean everyone behaves themselves. I'm sure most of us remember it as a great day with no problems but if you seriously believe that every City fan is a non-violent, friendly smiley person then you are delusional. Have you all forgotten the 70s and 80s in the unsegregated days? Plenty of rucks at Carrow Road then as I recall. We might not have been as bad as most, but we had (and still have) our share of nutters.

The 'rucks' were caused by away fans in the Barclay - I don't recall City fans going looking for trouble

And a 'few' idiots do not compare to what you are infering

On the whole visiting City fans are a fairly benign bunch.

I've been to far more away than home games in recent seasons and never seen any trouble.They are also spoken quite highly of by home supporters and are generally a credit to the club.

There will always be a few nutters, and the Suffolk air does seem to bring those ones out in force.

We often judge in retrospect applying modern standards. 

Football at that time was almost rock bottom and politically all supporters were tainted as scum. 

Once people are denigrated it is easy to mistreat them and so all football fans ended up behind fences or in cages and the public mood fully supported it as did the politicians. 

But politicians and civic leaders often forget the law of unintended consequences and cages trap. 

In legal actions it is necessary to apportion blame and convenient to have a scapegoat. Convict the scapegoat and win the argyment/case. 

But the causes of 1980's football tragedies were endemic, even institutionalised and the fault lay everywhere. 

Fans might miss standing and the price rises eye watering but the transformation of football post Hillsborough has been incredible. And it is hard for some and impossible for the younger fans to truly appreciate. 

Football should never forget where it came from so it never goes back. 

Edited by Ramrod
  • Like 2

I was at a local second tier game in Poland a few years ago which included a riot with police in body armour, brick throwing 'fans' and a water cannon. Yes English football in the 80s had a bad reputation and to some extent that still applies to those who follow the national team, but in parts of Europe serious football violence is still relatively common.

We should remember those who died at Heysel and other tragedies and be thankful that football has largely moved on in this country.

6 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Three or four were arrested on our coach for fighting in the city after the game and didn't make the flight back. I doubt they were the only ones.

It may be light all around your own world, doesn't mean everyone behaves themselves. I'm sure most of us remember it as a great day with no problems but if you seriously believe that every City fan is a non-violent, friendly smiley person then you are delusional. Have you all forgotten the 70s and 80s in the unsegregated days? Plenty of rucks at Carrow Road then as I recall. We might not have been as bad as most, but we had (and still have) our share of nutters.

Football violence is not lost on me having served as a Police Officer in Norwich in the 70's,80's and into the 90's. it includes being on duty v Man Utd in 1977 and as a football spotter from 85 to 93 which took me to many grounds up and down the country with both FA Cup semi finals at Villa Park v Everton and Hillsborough v Sunderland. in that. 99% of our support is superb which is more than can be said for a lot of clubs i have Policed.

Thanks for the lecture though. 😜