5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Wait, you were a police officer?!

Never would have guessed by the avatar or City1st calling me plod at every opportunity would you except it appears lost on sgncfc. :classic_rolleyes:

33 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Football violence is not lost on me having served as a Police Officer in Norwich in the 70's,80's and into the 90's. it includes being on duty v Man Utd in 1977 and as a football spotter from 85 to 93 which took me to many grounds up and down the country with both FA Cup semi finals at Villa Park v Everton and Hillsborough v Sunderland. in that. 99% of our support is superb which is more than can be said for a lot of clubs i have Policed.

Thanks for the lecture though. 😜

You asked for details and I gave them. Sorry that it doesn't agree with your opinion. Not a lecture, just stating facts. It's all very well having a go at other clubs fans - my point was simply that we have our share of misbehaviour, and that some Norwich fans caused trouble in Milan. - just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. We do not have perfect fans, though we may well be much better than some. If we have no hoolies amongst us, just who were you meant to be "spotting" ?

And I wouldn't brag about being on duty during the 1977 Man Utd game - I was there too, and a better example of how not to police a football match would be hard to find.....

44 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

And I wouldn't brag about being on duty during the 1977 Man Utd game - I was there too, and a better example of how not to police a football match would be hard to find.....

That kind of hyperbole is in pretty poor taste in a thread about a disaster where policing decisions directly contributed to the deaths of 39 people (a senior officer was convicted of criminal negligence). Or, you know, Hillsborough.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

You asked for details and I gave them. Sorry that it doesn't agree with your opinion. Not a lecture, just stating facts. It's all very well having a go at other clubs fans - my point was simply that we have our share of misbehaviour, and that some Norwich fans caused trouble in Milan. - just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. We do not have perfect fans, though we may well be much better than some. If we have no hoolies amongst us, just who were you meant to be "spotting" ?

Not bragging just saying i was there but i will bow to your expertise on Policing football matches. Just a question ....why the aggressive stance on this subject ?

22 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I think you need to put some meat on the bones because that is not at all how i remember that day.

My memory is of the Italian police looking rather sheepish, or bemused even, because they were kitted out with all the usual anti-hooligan paraphernalia, and probably the attitude to go with it, and found it was all quite unwarranted and unnecessary.

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Never would have guessed by the avatar or City1st calling me plod at every opportunity would you except it appears lost on sgncfc. :classic_rolleyes:

every opportunity ?

I think not

.................................. err, plod

20 hours ago, Bill said:

I doubt there's many of 'us' who still regret our not playing in Europe in those following years - certainly not as many as the family and friends of those who were killed who still 'regret' the loss of their loved ones in such an horrific manner.

I have to wonder sometimes, if you are 'right in the head' given what you post.

Do you wonder if people think that about other posters too ? 😉

12 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Three or four were arrested on our coach for fighting in the city after the game and didn't make the flight back. I doubt they were the only ones.

Three or four out of the 1000 or 1500 or 2000 - I cannot find a figure but I would guess it was at least as many as that lowest number -that went to Milan?  That is a pretty low percentage.