Today commemorates the day of the Hysel Stadium disaster, which Liverpool tend to 'sweep under the carpet'.

It's significant for Norwich, as they were denied the chance to play in Europe even though they qualified twice.   

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Today commemorates the day of the Hysel Stadium disaster, which Liverpool tend to 'sweep under the carpet'.

It's significant for Norwich, as they were denied the chance to play in Europe even though they qualified twice.   

It is significant because 39 people died, not because we didn't get to go to Europe and not because people want to do some petty point scoring with Liverpool.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Christ. 

I absolutely despise Liverpool. Will actively support anyone they play against (in big games, finals etc, don't care week to week).

To be fair to them though, they have over recent years made the club more accountable for what happened that night. There is now a memorial plaque at Anfield,  and the club commemorate the anniversary every year, and the fans will openly accept that they caused it. They'll never be able to change what happened that day, but I do give them credit for at least owning what happened, although I do think there is room to go further (eg an official apology) - for example - they have a permanent page on their official website dedicated to Heysel however it gives no detail, and could be a little bit more clear than "39 supporters lost their lives".

Over everything though, that's the key fact... 39 people lost their lives, and that should never be forgotten. It screwed our club, but to be honest, that's pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. Think a bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss with your original post Swindon.

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2013/05/what-about-justice-for-heysel/

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/heysel

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

So you absolutely despise Liverpool!!!

Really, that's a bit strong

Anybody else you absolutely despise

Oh yes Ipswich

Oh and the English

And generally what a stupid post! Congratulations Swindon you must be very proud

• Sad 1

It was indeed an awful, tragic event with repercussions in several areas, not least a more studious approach by EUFA when selecting the stadiums for these important games.

It was the culmination of a uniquely grim period for English football abroad whereby townsfolk throughout Europe, and further,  feared every invasion of the dreaded English supporters.

Our reputation was rock bottom. Heysel was the very last straw and it can even be argued that the ban came too late. Closing the stable door and all that.Violence and destruction had gotten out of hand, and it wasn't just Liverpool supporters who were responsible. It was endemic in the English football fan's culture. Riotous invasion was often planned, alcohol the fuel, knives the weapon of choice.

So much did the so-called "English Disease" became frightening, both at home and abroad, that Government started to take action in the early eighties. Heysel accelerated this.

Liverpool supporters played their notorious part, but they were far from being the only ones.

Surely however we are allowed to compartmentalise as far as our own club is concerned following an incident which changed so much with regards decision making, attitudes and consequences.

As far as NCFC goes it was indeed a major set-back. Our immediate and long term future might clearly have been greatly effected by the fact that a European venture or two was denied us. Pondering this fact does not necessarily exclude sympathy for the fatalities and the suffering.

Neither would City fans have likely caused trouble when travelling. A blanket ban, although probably necessary, was nevertheless unfair in many ways.

Edited by BroadstairsR

31 minutes ago, Bagster said:

And generally what a stupid post! Congratulations Swindon you must be very proud

I think Swindon's point for this thread is Norwich City FC being deprived of participating in Europe due to the Hysel Ban.

The ban came about due to violence by Liverpool fans that resulted in 39 Juventus fans being killed. It's a disaster when people are killed as a result of the actions of others. Liverpool fans have been involved with two such disasters. Not all Liverpool fans are to blame but Liverpool fans were charged with manslaughter. I doubt anyone is unaware of the tragedy, but that's not what this thread is about.

We (Norwich) have only qualified for Europe once after the ban.  What's your love affair for Liverpool ?  Why don't you tell me what's so great about Liverpool getting us banned from playing in Europe.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rondy said:

I’m pretty sure we qualified for European football 3 times in the mid-late 80s.. 85 for winning the league cup, 87 for finishing 5th and 89 for finishing 4th..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich_City_F.C._in_European_football

That is correct. Other places were on offer to the Cup winners.

When we finished third in '92 there were only two places on offer but as Arsenal won both cups we got the third place.

1 hour ago, Bagster said:

So you absolutely despise Liverpool!!!

Really, that's a bit strong

Anybody else you absolutely despise

Oh yes Ipswich

Oh and the English

I'm absolutely entitled to my opinions, and don't need to justify them to you.

Liverpool/Scum - Yes

"The English" No. English football team, yes. I've explained that several times before, and don't need to do it again. Especially on a thread about the Heysel disaster which you have inexplicably hijacked to have a pop at me for no apparent reason. Have a look at yourself and consider whether this is an appropriate place to do that. No further responses on this matter.

It is absolutely relevant on a Norwich site that that night led to us being excluded from European football. I was horrified by the deaths and disgusted with Liverpool fans behaviour. I have not liked the club since. Please stop being so keen to be offended.

• Like 1

Swindon's only crime was being particularly clumsy in his posting to the point where he seemed uncaring, but in these days of "seek and you will find" political correctness it seems necessary to immediately jump on his back and vilify the man.

I'm sure that he is no less aware of the tragedy that unfolded and has no less concern for the bereaved than the next person.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Swindon's only crime was being particularly clumsy in his posting to the point where he seemed uncaring, but in these days of "seek and you will find" political correctness it seems necessary to immediately jump on his back and vilify the man.

I'm sure that he is no less aware of the tragedy that unfolded and has no less concern for the bereaved than the next person.

'Wanting the focus to be on the 39 people who died is PC gone mad!'

Unique take.

That's not what I said at all.

You seem so desperate to defend your stance that you have a need to distort.

I now note that you were one of the first to jump so you probably took offence ..., again.

An event that happened thirty years ago also had an affect on our football team. The Second World War directly led to the formation of the now EU. Can we discuss Brexit without referencing the millions that died in order for our freedom of choice? 

🤐

😉

Just now, The Bristol Nest said:

An event that happened thirty years ago also had an affect on our football team. The Second World War directly led to the formation of the now EU. Can we discuss Brexit without referencing the millions that died in order for our freedom of choice? 

In the running for 'worst point of all time.'

22 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

It is absolutely relevant on a Norwich site that that night led to us being excluded from European football. I was horrified by the deaths and disgusted with Liverpool fans behaviour. I have not liked the club since. Please stop being so keen to be offended.

Agree with this. 

The behaviour of certain supporters from some teams in those days was an utter disgrace and people suffered terribly at a number of locations. Being a young supporter from the era, it was evident the innocent were going to suffer.

As a result, being a non violent fanbase, we missed out and it was a real shame also for us and our club.

It is right to remember these dates and those that suffered. It is wrong to jump feet first, when offered the slightest chance, on what is only a poorly worded comment. 

Edited by East Rider
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

That's not what I said at all.

You seem so desperate to defend your stance that you have a need to distort.

I now note that you were one of the first to jump so you probably took offence ..., again.

If I'm offended then you're clearly offended by me...being offended?

You don't have to be offended by something to object to it. The OP made zero mention of the actual victims, instead focusing on us not getting into Europe and a shot at Liverpool football club. It really isn't that tough to see why people might object to that.

It would be the similar to me saying '18 years since 9/11- this was significant as it meant I couldn't go on holiday to New York.'

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

In the running for 'worst point of all time.'

Thank you kc. That was my aim.

Edited by The Bristol Nest
Edit ; look at the emoji next time😉

"If I'm offended then you're clearly offended by me...being offended?"

Can I have a translation please?

Like I said, seek and you will find.

Offence or not, to take the moral high ground over nothing but a clumsy posting on a football forum and about event which had many consequences, not least for our own club, is rather ludicrous.

This is a forum devoted to NCFC after all. 

Each to his own.

To be even more ludicrous, how about focusing upon those killed at the Battle of Hastings when admiring the splendid features of the Norman Castle that dominates our city.

Probably even sillier than Bristol's example, but where is it supposed to end?