Indy

Poor old Sunderland! The binners think they will walk that league next year, Really!

Having watched Sunderland’s demise yesterday, with the likes of MK Dons, and possible dark horses Oxford with their Billionaires on that board now, it could prove to be a very long season for Lambert & Co! Oh how good will it be to stay up and watch them get relegated again!

As much as I'd like to see it happen, I don't think it will. Anything less than the playoffs is failure in my book. There seems to be some, who think that they'll walk it, others, more realistically, are expecting a mid table finish. Trouble is, as with any relegation, the budget comes down unless they can get out quickly. 

It'll be interesting to watch. 😎😁

The reality is that they will have a real fight on their hands and Lambert will have to demonstrate a level of managerial and tactical skills hitherto denied him since his arrival at Portman Road.

Summer dealings will be crucial, because the binners constant wish-lists of fancy signings deny their owner's historical unwillingness to splash the cash and therefore the manager's nous in the transfer market will be tested to the full. Lambert did well in this respect at Norwich but his record since leaving Carrow Road has been somewhat indifferent.

One thing for sure is that if they continue with this "big fish in a small pond" mentality disappointment will be on the cards.

Even the smallest of League One fish will not arrive at the museum that is the 'Loo and be overawed by the "bulging" trophy cabinet on show and all those statues dotted around the ground and then roll over in a state of transfixed inferiority. They are all hardened fighters in that league, respect nobody as continual cup upsets indicate and will take no prisoners.

ITFC could be stuck down there for a while unless they shake of their constant reference to their glorious history and face the stark reality of their plight.

• Like 1

Can’t see them getting relegated again but it won’t be easy for them to bounce straight back. A lot of it will depend on their dealings in the summer, they need a massive rebuilding job (which will take getting rid of deadwood as well). If they can do all that then they might be able to come straight back up. I think it could easily be a two or three season job to rebuild for them though.... what a shame!

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Having watched Sunderland’s demise yesterday, with the likes of MK Dons, and possible dark horses Oxford with their Billionaires on that board now, it could prove to be a very long season for Lambert & Co! Oh how good will it be to stay up and watch them get relegated again!

Portsmouth yet again will be there or thereabouts and of course don't rule out Rotherham who for the last few years have been too good for League One but cannot quite cut it in The Championship.

• Like 1

Their transfer dealings have been woeful in the past few seasons. Very few fees paid and not many above £1m.

Of course, the fee can bear no relation to the quality of the player. Some Championship teams seem to manage OK...😉

5 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Portsmouth yet again will be there or thereabouts and of course don't rule out Rotherham who for the last few years have been too good for League One but cannot quite cut it in The Championship.

No doubt about Pompy, forgot about them and your not wrong about Rotherham, there’s an argument about lots of sides on the up and will be strong, where the binners will be on a downward spiral, it’ll be hard to get them going if they hit a poor start. Just remember they played a full strength side against Accrington last year and lost.

The arrogant attitude a lot of them seem to be taking is a very slippery slope to find yourself on.  Self-marketing as 'being on tour' in League One can breed complacency and will make life quite difficult if the first few games don't go so well.

Plus, I hardly think the rest of the teams in the league will have a lot of time for a 'we're better than this' attitude and will seek to prove that wrong.

9 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

And don't rule out Lincoln 'doing a Luton' and continuing their great momentum from last season. Peterborough, Doncaster and Coventry also heading in the right direction. If I was a bin botherer I'd be happy to finish in the top six...

3 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

The arrogant attitude a lot of them seem to be taking is a very slippery slope to find yourself on.  Self-marketing as 'being on tour' in League One can breed complacency and will make life quite difficult if the first few games don't go so well.

Plus, I hardly think the rest of the teams in the league will have a lot of time for a 'we're better than this' attitude and will seek to prove that wrong.

Hands up who's still got their 'On Loan To The Endsleigh' T-shirt!😳

• Sad 1

Burton have plenty of League One nous too and I'd be surprised if they don't improve on this season's position and mount an improved assault on the top six. 

The only thing going for them is that Bolton are likely to drop like a stone. 

I can see Ipswich becoming a League One side for some time. I certainly don't think they will find it easy. Whilst they might bounce back quick the chances of them doing a Charlton or Coventry is just as likely, if not more so. Club seems to be failing at a level far beyond the playing field. 

On the other hand that looked like a very low quality game.

My feeling is Ipswich won't bounce straight back up as Evans won't give them the cash. There is a solid base of a team in that squad with quite a bit of League One experience but I think they'll end up relying on some kids who aren't as good as they think they are.

I don't think they will linger long, sadly. There are lots of very small fish down there. Lambert really ought to do enough for a playoff spot.

Watching the final in that division convinced me that you have to be able to play properly to get up first time. I thought Sunderland and Charlton were awful and allowing for the occasion, I thought were clueless at times with the ball at their feet.

Barnsley and Luton played some decent stuff and went straight up.

I think it is anyone's league next year.