Derby to make life easier for us next season. But Villa for gracious comments from their fans when we won the league and for their all round decency on the last day of the season.

Aren't Leeds in the final then? *snigger*

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Derby for me but good to watch it with a beer and feet up hoping for a good game.

if they stay down Villa are going to have some serious cost cutting to work through.  FFP and the end of parachute payments.

41 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Play off final tomorrow, do we want Villa to win?  Derby? Do we give a * ?

you must

to start a thread when there is one already on the subject

I'd prefer Derby to win, despite the inevitable fawning over Frank Lampard that it will generate. I'd think Derby would be more likely to get relegated than Villa, and Villa have blown FFP in style.

I'm assuming Kieran Maguire knows what he's talking about, but there's no way with all the players Villa bought and loaned that they're FFP compliant.

Derby all day long, not that I like them but villa fans are an entitled bunch and their club has been flouting FFP so I hope they stay down so they can get the punishment they deserve...

15 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Derby all day long, not that I like them but villa fans are an entitled bunch and their club has been flouting FFP so I hope they stay down so they can get the punishment they deserve...

Funnily enough, there was a big thread on VillaTalk about us, and I’m not joking when I say that 99% of them were talking very highly of NCFC, congratulating us and saying what a decent club we are. That would never have happened back in the Lambert days, but it was clear that any animosity between the clubs or supporters from back then has long been forgotten about. 

4 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Funnily enough, there was a big thread on VillaTalk about us, and I’m not joking when I say that 99% of them were talking very highly of NCFC, congratulating us and saying what a decent club we are. That would never have happened back in the Lambert days, but it was clear that any animosity between the clubs or supporters from back then has long been forgotten about. 

Agreed, only heard nice things about us from Villa fans since our promotion. Hope they win.

We can both be looking a long way down and laughing at whats become of Mr Lambert 😂

Edited by Fiery Zac
  • Like 1

I'm split on this..I'd like villa to stay down, simply because they are one of those big clubs that splashes the cash with no consequence.

They were in all sorts if financial mess last season but just sold to new owner and hey Presto they carry on as if nothing's changed.

Having said that, I really can't stand the Lampard love in, and derby selling the ground to their owner for £80m seems dodgy to me, even if perfectly legal.. I also haven't got over the floodlight game(even tho it didnt cost us in the end,)

Then again, maybe we can try to loan wilson if Derby stay down..

I will probably go for derby, but hopefully it's a great game, like Swindon v Leicester back in the 90s

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cornish sam said:

I would not be sure that doesn't also apply to Derby County, given their recent ground-sale manoeuvre.😋

Derby for me. And then they can buy Grealish and Maddison can show him up as a show pony again.

Villa for me. They demonstrated true class at the end of our season and Teams like that need to be rewarded.

Also, I don’t subscribe to the idea that crappy teams have to come up with us to improve our chances of staying up. I compare this to when i’m Playing golf with other players and they ask, “Why do you play those expensive balls? I  play Pro-V1s because in my own mind I am legend..;) Anyway, they ask because they play a crappy Slazenger ball, which they don’t care if they lose, because it’s cheap. I tell them, “It’s simple. I do care to and I don’t expect to lose my ball.” I believe that by playing with a cheaper ball you are subconsciously telling yourself that you don’t care if you hit a bad shot.

With respect to NCFC, I’d rather we play well and earn the right and respect to not only stay up, but finish 10th, than have to rely of three crappier teams to ‘survive’.

Edited by CirclePoint
  • Like 1

My Dad's a Villain, so Villa for me. They were great to us on the last day too, which showed a lot of class.

I think both Derby and Villa have been flouting in the rules, and they are far from the only ones - so no separation between them there. Derby were also really lucky against us...twice, so wouldn't mind if FLDC stayed down another season or two, or three, or four... 

I'd like both teams to be found to have fallen foul of FFP, so neither get promoted. 

West Brom then beat Leeds in a rearranged play off, 16-15 on penalties. 

Failing the above, Derby. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Derby to make life easier for us next season. But Villa for gracious comments from their fans when we won the league and for their all round decency on the last day of the season.

Aren't Leeds in the final then? *snigger*

I'm not sure what reactions to give for this. I both liked and haha'd.

😂👍

• Haha 1

I'm not sure who will be the strongest outfit next season, and this has to prioritise our thinking surely?

Villa will have the cash, the massive support and are a big, big club more suited to the PL than Derby County.

Derby can usually produce funding but more significant for them might be the connections within the old boy's network that Lampard can call upon. Friends at the likes of the Chelseas will mean he could well get the pick of the loan players available from the big-boys and he might well have advantages in the buying market as well.

On narrow balance though I feel that Villa will present a more powerful force next season and I therefore want Frank Lampard's Derby County to succeed.

13 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

They might be gracious and nice about us, but that doesn't mean they aren't entitled. The number of villa fans who see their sojourn into the champs as a nice little holiday and think that they should have walked the league and playoffs is massive and  whilst derby have no doubt also broken FFP they have seemingly actually been trying to reign it in the last season or two whereas villa were just spunking money left right and centre since their relegation and have probably had loss of at least 3 times their allowance and seemingly don't give a crap. 

BTW I agree with circle point about survival should be in our gift, if we are relying on others then we haven't done what we set out to do.

Some on here sound full of onfidence for next season if we have to worry about which of the 2 sides competing today for a place in TP.   Compared to the bottom 8 clubs in TP we have enough class to see us finish in the top half.  Hope Villa stuff Derby they were one of the worst sides to come to CR and we should have been 4 up at half-time

PS  And yes Villa fans did us proud on the last day of the season

Along with ten or so other teams in the PL next season we will need all the help we can get. The "every single small advantage" tactic adopted by Webber/Farke in the past (think pink dressing rooms etc.) will be tested to the full, have no doubt about that.

The Premier League can probably now be divided into three tiers with the top six a virtual league of it's own, a few in the middle and the "league" that we will inhabit. Even so, those around us in expectation will have far more funds at their disposal, in a situation greatly influenced by the spend factor, than we will.

This apart, we do indeed have other factors in our favour which have emanated from the skills of our management team and have led to, among other things, our much vaunted spirit, momentum and belief, but let's not kid ourselves with fancilful ideas that these factors alone will ensure a successful campaign.

Like Sheffield United and the winners of today we will have a real fight on our hands and will need to scrap for every single point. Every little piece of good or bad fortune will be vital from the outset and every slight advantage is needed in the same way that the disadvantage of having Simon Hooper in charge of their first Premier League game was a factor that set Alex Neil's team en-route to relegation.

For what it's worthy and on balance, I think we can do it, even if by the skin of our teeth, but as things stand at this moment in time the main positives for me lie in the wonderful experience of once again having some of  the best teams and players in the world grace Carrow Road, have positive exposure for the club and have enough financial clout to set us sound for a number of years. These factors are the least we can aspire to, let's hope that they are not the most.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Not too bothered either way, but think Villa will win...when I saw them (at Brentford) they were ordinary at best, but have improved since then.

Dean Smith seems a good guy (left Brentford, but was apparently widely known to be a Villa fan, and he did seem to forget that we’d beaten them at the end of the season!); they showed us a lot of respect at their place.  

Derby do also seem to be loan city central, though to be fair they both have ‘big’ loan players in their squads.

Derby for me. I live about 20 minutes from Pride Park, so an easy away game to get to, and more importantly, they’re more likely to go straight back down than Villa.

Plus Mings. Nuff said.