Sign in to follow this  
ncfcrooferman

Standing at football ??

What do you all think about bring back a standing area at Carrow Rd

Maybe say the lower barclay

I personally think we should have the right to stand at grounds Lord Justice Taylor report in my view was a total farce and cost clubs millions of pounds for no reason.I think its as safe to stand if not safer now all the fences around the grounds have been removed.

What is every body elses view on this ???

I''d love to see a return to terracing in certain parts of grounds.  As clubs on the continent have proven, it can be done safely.  It''d be just like seating; but with each fan having their own spot to stand in.  You wouldn''t get more people in the stand than there are places then.  Unfortunately it''ll never happen.  The Government would never let it 

[quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"]I''d love to see a return to terracing in certain parts of grounds.  As clubs on the continent have proven, it can be done safely.  It''d be just like seating; but with each fan having their own spot to stand in.  You wouldn''t get more people in the stand than there are places then.  Unfortunately it''ll never happen.  The Government would never let it [/quote]

I heard on the radio one of the lower league clubs is having a "Safe Standing Area" I think it was Wycombe and they were asking for supporter of other clubs to attend. The game is being televised - might even be tomorrow- would be interesting to see the effect this has.

I for one would like standing to come back. Then I wouldn''t have to suffer the pratts who sitt behind me at FCR moaning all the time and cheering every time the opposition score!! I could just move.

wud be much easier if they stopped tellin everyone to sit dwn in seated areas, allowing standing by choice, really annoys me when u see come crazy steward at say the Ricoh Arena telling the back row of our support to sit dwn, i was in it myself and refuse to believe it was dangerous and the only view i was blocking is that of the other end of the ground to bill boards, i love standing, espec when away, i remember travelling to Rotherham afew yrs ago and the atmosphere was great in our end because they let us stand and sing as much as we could. standing and singing is as much apart of football as the ball is.

I would be fully in favour of this and as I am old enough to remember standing on terraces have to say that when seating was put in, the atmosphere has gone downhill.  I started going to football in the early seventies and so spent over twenty years on terraces.  Longer at some grounds, and Cardiff away is our only standing terrace now, unless of course we go down a division!

Speaking on a personal basis, I have not had an injuries, or felt any less safe on terraces as opposed to seating.  Yes, on terraces we were packed in sometimes, but these days the numbers could easily be monitored and say a small terrace where the hotel is rumoured to be (ie corner between the L Barclay and the Away part of the South Stand would be great.  Imagine - the atmosphere in there, a bit too popular I expect, but if only we were allowed to do it.

Laws can, and are changed over time, and great to see Wycombe trying to get things moving.  As Drinkell points out, you can stand where you want, with mates etc.  Kids were always allowed to the front and you could move if you got someone objectionable near you -  you can move.

I also forgot to mention that seating in some ways is MORE dangerous than terracing.  When fans (particularly away fans) stand in seated areas, they''re more likely to cause injury than if they were in terracing.  I''d love the FA, Government, whoever to do a survey amongst fans.  I think they''d find a lot of people wanted terracing back in parts of grounds

I may be wrong, but I reckon the most dangerous part in terms of crowd safety is when a goal is scored. And try telling people to sit down during that...

Standing should be brought back, not that we aren''t standing in the barclay most of the time anyway.

This is a good idea in certain areas of the ground but I can remember going to the games in the 70''s as a little kid and dreading a goal being scored because the excited rush and crush  was so terrifying. I, therefore, think that some areas should definitely be seated so that older people and little kids who want to get excited about the game can watch in comfort if thats what they wish. 

I can remember the days, and thought they were brilliant, but I am totally opposed to standing areas. I know I''m gonna get shot down, but this is why.

Firstly, with the ground so full of season ticket holders, you are gonna seriously upset a load of supporters who may not want to be moved.

Secondly, football has become more of a family game and there are plenty of kids who wouldn''t see squit (dont give me that milk crate rubbish either)

Thirdly, I sit in the lower barclay and i am surrounded by older people who wouldn''t be able to stand for 90 minutes

Fourthly, we have many people that attend CR who are disabled but not wheel chair bound. How would they manage?

Lastly, if it didnt improve the capacity of the ground, (by keeping the same spacing) why would the club spend money to get no return - I''d rather they paid worthy off instead, or bought a bit of quality.

[quote user="ncfcrooferman"]

Lord Justice Taylor report in my view

was a total farce and cost clubs millions of pounds for no reason.I

think its as safe to stand if not safer now all the fences around the

grounds have been removed.

What is every body elses view on this ???

[/quote]

Your view mirrors that of Lord Justice Taylor!

His oft-misquoted report merely called for more seating at grounds,

with the removal of ''safety'' fencing. He specifically stated that it

was perfectly feasible for some safe standing areas to be retained.

I agree we should push for it - surely room for at least 1500 standing spaces in front of hotel infill?

It would be quite easy to make say half of the lower Barclay stand, standing only. Obviously this would entail removing the seats from behind the goal, and all the way across to the far side of E block. A lot of people are happy to stand anyway in this area, and removing the seats would increase the capacity slightly, and also improve the atmosphere.

I would like to challenge you on your 4 points Rossi:

Firstly, with the ground so full of season ticket holders, you are gonna seriously upset a load of supporters who may not want to be moved.

Only a small section could be trialed.  Although some people would move, it wouldn''t have to be many

Secondly, football has become more of a family game and there are plenty of kids who wouldn''t see squit (dont give me that milk crate rubbish either)

You don''t get that many little kids in the lower Barclay.  The whole ground wouldn''t be terracing, just a certain part.  There would be plenty of other areas for kids to sit.

Thirdly, I sit in the lower barclay and i am surrounded by older people who wouldn''t be able to stand for 90 minutes

See my second point.  There could be plenty of seated areas for those who are too small or elderly to sit in.

Fourthly, we have many people that attend CR who are disabled but not wheel chair bound. How would they manage?

Again, they could sit where they normally sit

Lastly, if it didnt improve the capacity of the ground, (by keeping the same spacing) why would the club spend money to get no return - I''d rather they paid worthy off instead, or bought a bit of quality.

How much would it actually cost?  Considering we spent 750k on a new pitch, the cost of riping out a few hundred seats and replacing them with safe areas to stand would cost a fraction of that.

I think it''s also a fair point that at the moment in football, people who want to sit have every right to sit.  People who want to stand have no right whatsoever.  How is that fair?  Surely a small section in the ground wouldn''t be unreasonable

Sitting in ''The Library'' I watch as police and stewards walk up the rows of Barclay Lower supporters and pointlessly tell them to sit down. How far this goes depends on whether there is anything on the pitch to legitimately get excited and stand up for (by the way this more affects the view of children than a standing area where they can be placed to avoid adults).

I can also see the away supporters standing. The Jarrold stand terrace is much higher than the Lower Barclay, those failing to comply with stewards do not risk their home season ticket and in any event the number of rows make the sit down exercise practised in the barclay impracticable.

There is therefore one rule for home supporters and another for away supporters.

I would like the club to penalise standing by away supporters by subsequent reductions in their ticket allocations; i.e., the next time they visit they receive 20% less and so on until their number is as easily ''managed'' as sections of the lower Barclay.

This should be evenly applied to all clubs.

[quote user="ROSSI 46"]

I can remember the days, and thought they were brilliant, but I am totally opposed to standing areas. I know I''m gonna get shot down, but this is why.

[/quote]

If you can remember the days, then you will know we had much bigger gates than now, sure it was like being a sardine occasionally, but no more unsafe than anything else regarding crowds, what are we going to do in a shopping crowd, ask everyone to sit down cos it''s safer?  Life isn''t about being so safe that it becomes boring or is it?  Please don''t take this personally at all, but I am quite adamant that a return to terracing is not going to endanger anyone. 

Those who want to sit, still would have that choice.  There was always seating even in the old days.  I have to tell you something that the one and only time I ever encountered trouble at FCR was at a cup match in the Main Stand, those old cushion throwers could get really carried away at times!

There are adequate disabled facilities for those who need them.  I am not saying everyone would like to stand, but I think you''d find even a stand for say 4-6,000 would be so popular it would be massively oversubscribed.  Football, for me anyway was a family game when I was a child.  Myself, brother and dad went in the River End terracing initallly, before myself and brother graduated to the Barclay.  I stood on a milk crate or leant on a barrier if I was lucky enough to get one.  Kids were allowed down the front if they needed to be down there. I told both my kids about this of course and wished they had been able to have the same experience.  Gone, sadly are the days when you saw a match through the shoulders and missed a few goals cos you were small, but the atmosphere more than made up for it.  I miss standing terraces like crazy and I am a 46 year old mother of two.  Not your typical candidate for terracing maybe!

I am sure if the club were ever allowed to do it, no one would have to be moved, the ideal area would be the infill where the hotel is supposed to be going.  It would create a much better atmosphere - satisfy those who would like a return to terracing and those who don''t could still sit in their preferred area of the ground.    

Can I just ask if you thought the old days were great, why you are so opposed to a return?                                                                                                                 

[quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"]I''d love the FA, Government, whoever

to do a survey amongst fans.  I think they''d find a lot of people

wanted terracing back in parts of grounds[/quote]

The Football Fans'' Census carried out a survey 2 years ago and yes, the

vast majority of fans were in favour of fans having the option to

stand. Check out the executive summary here...

http://www.footballfanscensus.com/reports/Sample_Safe.pdf

(they''re also in the process of carrying out a second survey I believe)

Regarding the stewards, they''re just doing their job... The club were

threatened last season by the FA with a reduction in ground capacity

for failing to force fans to sit down in parts of the Lower Barclay.

The club responded by talking with the "offending" supporters, and in

the end Neil Doncaster gave his backing in principle to supporters''

groups calling for changes in legislation.

For those interested, there is an active campaign is called "Stand Up

Sit Down", suggesting the solution of having specific areas of

all-seater grounds where all fans stand up for the duration of the game

- citing that it is more dangerous for fans to constantly stand up and

sit back down than for them to simply stand in front of their seats all

the way through. Anyway, see the site below for more info...

http://www.standupsitdown.co.uk/