Branston Pickle

Cricket World Cup

Perhaps.

But  Buttler seems to be a well established test player now. There were similar doubts about him I seem to recall.

Confidence on the big stage aligned to supreme reactions and sheer talent count for so much.

Especially confidence.

England definitely need to turn up today - thankfully not chasing...although some pundits seem to think they ‘love’ to chase, they’ve lost 3 chases out of 4 in this tournament - need to regain some form.

• Like 1

Curious that India have changed colours so as not to clash with England. Surely the two blokes carrying lumps of wood is the giveaway.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Curious that India have changed colours so as not to clash with England. Surely the two blokes carrying lumps of wood is the giveaway.

I agree, test cricket both teams wear white! That’s just so confusing!

• Haha 1

It’s a (new?) ICC ruling that there shouldn’t be kit clashes - presumably we are the ‘home’ side....does feel a little daft though.  There was actually a lot of hoo-hah about the colour of India’s kit as orange is a big political colour over there.

Thankfully England going pretty well, had that bit of luck we didn’t get early doors v the Aussies.

Edited by Branston Pickle

I guess the main thing in those games was that we were chasing and lost more than one very early wicket which didn’t help.   Clearly having no Roy didn’t help but we aren’t/can’t/shouldn’t rely on just one player 

Edited by Branston Pickle

Hmm...seem to be doing our best to screw up a decent start.  What happened to playing it around, into the gaps - you don’t need to go aerial/for the big shot every time.

There’s brave and there’s stupid.  Play the conditions. If you are going at 7 an over and come in, you can play yourself in a bit and do not need to throw your bat at a short ball a la Morgan.

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

No boundaries for a long time now. We are getting bogged down. And why does Stokes come in before Butler?

Sensible play - Stokes has been on better form, it’s good to have a left-right combo, and Buttler tends to be better at the tail end of the innings.   I’m pleased they have shown some adaptability.

Sensible play

Root to play sensible yes. But we must win this match. Pakistan have Bangladesh last match. One end should not be tied down by the bowlers.

Exciting bout of cricket there. A good total in the end and hopefully should be enough.

Some good play got us up to a decent score - a little stodgy overs 31-40 but innings rarely go full pelt the entire time; even in the ‘new’ style of play wicket retention is crucial, there’s little point keeping at 7 an over and getting all out in 40-45 overs.

On 26/06/2019 at 17:55, Feedthewolf said:

I don't see two better openers available to us. Hameed has rediscovered a bit of form but it's too early to pitch him into the Ashes. Denly, Stoneman, Jennings... no thanks. Gotta be Roy and Burns for my money - right/left hand partnership too. Sure, he hasn't done it with the red ball, but the Aussies have had plenty of success with a 'bully' opening the batting (Hayden and Warner in recent times). Our openers have been crap for years (Cook aside), so might as well go with someone who will look to punish wayward balls than 'die wondering'.

Roy is vital to England’s success, made all the difference today....let’s hope he stays fit, and thank goodness for the little knock that prevented him from fielding😉

Is it me or did the last 8 overs appear that India didn’t really try too hard? Could it be that by England winning might just knock Pakistan out? Or am I being overly cynical?

No doubt a far better performance helped by Roy being back and great bowling.

Not looking good for the Indians. Still, I'd rather face NZ in the final if we get there.