Branston Pickle

Cricket World Cup

On 15/06/2019 at 21:21, king canary said:

Groups stage is too long in my opinion. If India win tomorrow it's pretty certain who the top 4 will be with still about half the group left.

It maybe no quite so nailled on now 🙄

What a shocker by England. 

32 runs by our last 6 batsmen is terrible. Really frustrating as all it needed was one of those lot to get another 15 odd runs and support Stokes. I thought Moeen might have got his eye back in with that swift smash v Afghanistan but seemingly not.

Malinga has still got it thought hasn't he?

Got to feel for Braithwaite. Last wicket, 6 needed off 7 balls and holes out trying to clear the boundary rope.

164/7 chasing 292, and hits 101 to get them without touching distance of a win.

On 15/06/2019 at 21:21, king canary said:

Groups stage is too long in my opinion. If India win tomorrow it's pretty certain who the top 4 will be with still about half the group left.

I've come to this conclusion as well. As a competition it is dragging on. Is there a better way of doing it than this?

at least some of the matches are getting closer - the tournament was looking a bit ropey but more recent games (NZ v SA + Friday/yesterday) have been much better as a spectacle....mainly because they were slightly lower scoring and a proper battle between bowler and batsman.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

at least some of the matches are getting closer - the tournament was looking a bit ropey but more recent games (NZ v SA + Friday/yesterday) have been much better as a spectacle....mainly because they were slightly lower scoring and a proper battle between bowler and batsman.

Those games are far more interesting. The right matches with lower scores and a close finish are much better than watching a team wallop 380 and the other team not getting anywhere near it.

4 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I suppose the England-Sri Lanka game could have been classed as an exciting game. For the neutral.😫😀

Really need an early breakthrough against the Aussies. I fear for us if Finch and Warner are still there after 15 overs.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Really need an early breakthrough against the Aussies. I fear for us if Finch and Warner are still there after 15 overs.

Yup, this could be a very tough day at the office.

Odd innings- was fearful after 20 overs, really happy at 40 and slightly disappointed at how many they finished on at 50.

Just now, king canary said:

Very, very different. 

Think so? well I reckon we'll get murdered with our openers and number three batsmen...

Not great today - winning the toss and putting them in, we just didn’t manage to take any advantage...a little unlucky with the ‘umpire’s call’ lbw but the edges didn’t come or didn’t quite go to-hand in what were ideal bowling conditions. Their opening bowlers certainly showed us a thing or two - and IMO it’s great to see quick left-armers, it adds a whole different line of attack.

One oddity is that I read somewhere how this England side loves to chase - yet they’ve been poor in 3 out of 4 chases in this tournament.  Ultimately, it’s a shame we’ve under-performed but it’d now almost be wrong if we went on to win...

Edited by Branston Pickle

Our bowling is ineffective, sloppy fielding and batting gone to pieces, with the exception of Stokes. Unfortunately against the better sides it just shows how good we're not. Agreed it doesn't bode well for the Ashes as we're even worse at test level. The Aussies played the conditions better in our own backyard and that is hugely concerning.

• Like 1

Only saw the late night highlights but thought the Aussie fielding was fantastic. Some of their catches were breathtaking

Best team won

Roy's injury and Hale's ban for smoking a bit of happy baccy it seems are two massive factors that have led to our demise.

How many failures did Vince need to perform before he should have been cast aside with all the haste that they ostracized Alex Hales.

The snowflakes cost us.

The Aussies have two players banned for cheating now being instrumental in their current success.

They couldn't get them back quickly enough it seems.

The Aussies do Foster's, they don't do snowflakes.

NZ batted relatively sensibly when they had early wickets down - unfortunately we seem to have Plan A (go for it) but no Plan B to fall back on (play to the circumstances).  Playing with ‘sense’ would have certainly seen us beat SL, if not the other two.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

NZ batted relatively sensibly when they had early wickets down - unfortunately we seem to have Plan A (go for it) but no Plan B to fall back on (play to the circumstances).  Playing with ‘sense’ would have certainly seen us beat SL, if not the other two.

I can’t see us changing the way we play, just got to hope it pays off in the next couple of games.

Sounds as if Roy may be wheeled out, hope it doesn’t ruin his chances for the ashes if he aggravates his injury. 

5 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Sounds as if Roy may be wheeled out, hope it doesn’t ruin his chances for the ashes if he aggravates his injury. 

I’m not so sure Roy would be in the Ashes - what role?  He doesn’t open for his County in long-format...in fact I don’t think he’s played it a lot recently.

12 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’m not so sure Roy would be in the Ashes - what role?  He doesn’t open for his County in long-format...in fact I don’t think he’s played it a lot recently.

He made 150 ish against Bangladesh I think, we are going to need batsmen capable of making big scores against the Aussies, if he had continued in that vein, even though it’s limited overs I recon he would play himself into the team. He still might.

24 minutes ago, Van wink said:

He made 150 ish against Bangladesh I think, we are going to need batsmen capable of making big scores against the Aussies, if he had continued in that vein, even though it’s limited overs I recon he would play himself into the team. He still might.

I don't see two better openers available to us. Hameed has rediscovered a bit of form but it's too early to pitch him into the Ashes. Denly, Stoneman, Jennings... no thanks. Gotta be Roy and Burns for my money - right/left hand partnership too. Sure, he hasn't done it with the red ball, but the Aussies have had plenty of success with a 'bully' opening the batting (Hayden and Warner in recent times). Our openers have been crap for years (Cook aside), so might as well go with someone who will look to punish wayward balls than 'die wondering'.

• Like 1

Not for me - a Test innings (or even a 4-day game) is very much different to a one-dayer and Roy hasn’t played any Championship cricket at all this season. Even if he had, it wouldn’t be as an opener as Surrey use Burns/Stoneman and have for a while. IMO it’d be a huge ask (and huge mistake) - not worth the gamble.

Edited by Branston Pickle

...and there was me thinking the main complaint against England was over confidence/being able to play only one way rather than to the conditions.

If we pick Roy for the Test XI we might as well do away with first class cricket.