Branston Pickle

Cricket World Cup

You have to have the World Cup final at the home of cricket, though, surely?!

I can’t quite understand a) why the final is on a Sunday, and b) why it starts as early as 1030 (when it’ll probably be less than half full) but there you go.

Please please please, will someone knock out the kiwis, it's unbearable living here with what's going on. They had little to no interest in the Cricket World Cup until they beat India, now it's headline news. There's Rugby or something later this year as well. 😥

19 hours ago, Indy said:

Well we’ll see how it all pans out next season as it’s happening in the Premiership. VAR will be in place and if the video ref decides to refer it to the on pitch referee he’ll make the decision.

And that's the way it should be. A referral system where the teams/coaches decide to call for a review wouldn't work at all in football.

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

And that's the way it should be. A referral system where the teams/coaches decide to call for a review wouldn't work at all in football.

They don’t have a coaching challenge in rugby and it works fine......it’s coming in and great for me, I would much have a review system than rely on a referee who half the time misses the decision on the pitch or makes an on the spot decision which costs the game.

But each to their own.

My brother was offered a ticket to the final by a member of the Serbian Cricket Federation (and yes, it really does exist) but he turned it down 😩

6 hours ago, Indy said:

They don’t have a coaching challenge in rugby and it works fine......it’s coming in and great for me, I would much have a review system than rely on a referee who half the time misses the decision on the pitch or makes an on the spot decision which costs the game.

But each to their own.

so at what point is the game stopped ?

as soon as this off pitch ref sees something he thinks that the real ref has missed ?

ie what happens if one side has an attacked stopped because some bloke watching a screen says he thinks the ref needs to look at VAR, and then the refs decision is upheld - are all the players expected to return to their exact positions at the point the game was stopped ?

utter impractical nonsense as the WWC has just shown

Edited by Bill

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

so at what point is the game stopped ?

as soon as this off pitch ref sees something he thinks that the real ref has missed ?

ie what happens if one side has an attacked stopped because some bloke watching a screen says he thinks the ref needs to look at VAR, and then the refs decision is upheld - are all the players expected to return to their exact positions at the point the game was stopped ?

utter impractical nonsense as the WWC has just shown

What planet are you on City 1st? It’s happening next season, I’ve not implemented it! Not my idea nor my control but I’m all for it! We will see how they implement it next year!

Is that ok with you or are you going to carry on another pointless argument? Never mind it’s 11 so the nurse should be along soon with your medication! Good night.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

What planet are you on City 1st? It’s happening next season, I’ve not implemented it! Not my idea nor my control but I’m all for it! We will see how they implement it next year!

Is that ok with you or are you going to carry on another pointless argument? Never mind it’s 11 so the nurse should be along soon with your medication! Good night.

calm down old chap

if you are all for it' then you should be all for at least explaining it as it would seem to be rather ludicrous to be all for something you don't even know what it is

or maybe you inability to defend some that is clearly ludicrous is self explanatory

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

calm down old chap

if you are all for it' then you should be all for at least explaining it as it would seem to be rather ludicrous to be all for something you don't even know what it is

or maybe you inability to defend some that is clearly ludicrous is self explanatory

😴

1 minute ago, Indy said:

😴

thaks for coming back to read the post 😊

ps any thoughts on the Uk driving on the right on alternative days ?

On 11/07/2019 at 22:44, Capt. Pants said:

Shame the final is at Lords. Far better atmosphere out in the counties, plus our record is not so good there I believe.

Walked past a pub called the Thomas Lord yesterday, he is buried in the village, 

Also a bit of a Norfolk link!

32 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Walked past a pub called the Thomas Lord yesterday, he is buried in the village, 

Also a bit of a Norfolk link!

I presume he was dead?!

1 minute ago, Herman said:

I presume he was dead?!

Couldn’t find the grave so who knows.

Weather a bit ropey down this neck of the woods. Early rain which should clear up for the match, but cloudier and damper conditions. Some of you proper cricket nerds will be able to explain if this will help, hinder or have no effect at all.

In the old days I believe that damp conditions may have been conducive to swing bowling but I have no idea whether the modern balls are still affected in the same way 🏏🏏🏏

Watching rather than listening but have to say TMS are still the masters of commentary.

Don't necessarily agree.  NZ managed to get Archer and Wakes to bowl a fraction too short initially. Would have pulled Archer out of attack after his first 3 overs. Agreed with Ian Bishop's assessment. I think a Trent Boult would have been fuller and more threatening.

Only wickets will stem the flow of runs... if we don't dislodge Williamson soon, we're going to be chasing 300+.

NZ are going pretty well, but then they ought to be - this is the final and they won the toss and chose to bat.  It wouldn’t be any kind of spectacle if they didn’t set a decent target on what is a decent pitch.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Just now, Crabbycanary3 said:

Let's stick with Plunkett for now! 🙂 

Thank God for the Snickometer!