Suing Derby for allegedly breaching FFP rules over the sale of their ground to their owner. Could set a precedent if successful.

on TWTD several posters are all for it until a couple pointed out that Evans had bought their training ground and leased it back to them šŸ¤£

FFP seems to have been a poorly constructed and implemented deterrentĀ from the outset.

Ā 

Must do better. Probably difficult though, but this might well put the cat among the pigeons.

I do not think that the club (ITFC) selling their training ground to Evans will present quite the same problem as long as the so-called market price was adhered to.

In Derby's case the owner paid far over the odds apparently in order to sidestep FFP.

I'll bet Evans would just love to sell that patch of land for development. Might happen one day as long as there are no caveats in the acquisition preventing this.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

It's probably an Antiques Roadshow scenario. Derby thought the ground was worth Ā£20M but when they took it an expert (the owner) they discovered it was worth Ā£40M.

Case Closed!

Ā 

Seems like sour grapes to me and canā€™t see it going anywhere.

How have Boro lost out? Finishing 7th instead of 6th?Ā They canā€™t guarantee they would have won in the playoffs so weā€™reĀ talking a couple of hundred thousand in TV rights money for finishing one place higher?Ā 

A quick google search this morning suggests Boroā€™s wage bill is probably higher than Derbyā€™s, which rather flies in the face of any argument Boro might have that ā€œmore money guarantees successā€.

And theyā€™d have to actually prove Derby have breached FFP (no idea whether they have or havenā€™t).Ā 

I wondered for a moment what Lakey had done to upset Boro.Ā šŸ˜‰

Aggy, the point boroĀ will presumably make is that it has given Derby an unfair financial advantage - something that is clear for all to see. Ā It means theyā€™ve been able to buy/loan players theyā€™d otherwise be unable to afford which undoubtedly improved their performance/position.

Ā Boro are unlikely to win, but they have a very valid argumentĀ - it seems football is as much aboutĀ flouting rules and all-butĀ getting away with it, as it is about playing ā€˜fairā€™. Ā 

There will always be sides with an advantage of ā€˜sizeā€™ (eg us or Leeds v Rotherham or whoever), and those with ā€˜legitimateā€™ income sources (eg PL money);Ā  Boroā€™s wage bill will be higher as they still have the PL payments.

Edited by Branston Pickle

3 hours ago, Aggy said:

Seems like sour grapes to me and canā€™t see it going anywhere.

How have Boro lost out? Finishing 7th instead of 6th?Ā They canā€™t guarantee they would have won in the playoffs so weā€™reĀ talking a couple of hundred thousand in TV rights money for finishing one place higher?Ā 

A quick google search this morning suggests Boroā€™s wage bill is probably higher than Derbyā€™s, which rather flies in the face of any argument Boro might have that ā€œmore money guarantees successā€.

And theyā€™d have to actually prove Derby have breached FFP (no idea whether they have or havenā€™t).Ā 

This sounds not dissimilar to the QPR case, where a massive loss was supposedly wiped out, by writing off loans and claiming they were somehow income. And that ended badly for QPR.

A court case might not go anywhere but I suspect the football authorities will act against what looks like a pretty blatant attempt to avoid a massive loss on the books.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

I wondered for a moment what Lakey had done to upset Boro.Ā šŸ˜‰

They were big Morty fans šŸ˜‰

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Aggy, the point boroĀ will presumably make is that it has given Derby an unfair financial advantage - something that is clear for all to see. Ā It means theyā€™ve been able to buy/loan players theyā€™d otherwise be unable to afford which undoubtedly improved their performance/position.

Ā Boro are unlikely to win, but they have a very valid argumentĀ - it seems football is as much aboutĀ flouting rules and all-butĀ getting away with it, as it is about playing ā€˜fairā€™. Ā 

There will always be sides with an advantage of ā€˜sizeā€™ (eg us or Leeds v Rotherham or whoever), and those with ā€˜legitimateā€™ income sources (eg PL money);Ā  Boroā€™s wage bill will be higher as they still have the PL payments.. As Iā€™ve said, it looks as though Boro have a higher wage bill than Derby. If Boro are spending more than Derby and finished below them, then that suggests you canā€™t simply say ā€œmore money equals higher finishing positionā€.

Thereā€™s a difference though between ā€œsuingā€ someone and having a moan to the EFL about them breaching EFL/FFP rules.

The EFL might take action and, if Derby are found to have breached FFP, then there might be a QPR-esque fine. But Boro wouldnā€™t benefit from that, and that isnā€™t Boro ā€œsuingā€ Derby.

I donā€™t think EFL action would be a surprise at all if Derby are found to have breached FFP.Ā BoroĀ risking tens/hundreds of thousandsĀ in legal fees to ā€œsueā€ Derby for some lost TV revenue for 6th vs 7th place would be a surprise!

Steve Gibson's been unhappy with the execution of the FFP rules in the Championship for a while. He was trying to get a rule change to allow club and independent accountants to audit each others books.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/attempt-steve-gibson-change-efl-16176671

He's been gunning for Villa, Derby and Sheffield Wednesday for a while now.