Sign in to follow this  
unique

What price Webber?

So Manure are supposedly casting their eye towards Webber to lift them out of their stinking recruitment policy and disastrous current management structure.

I don’t suppose NCFC would get much compensation should Webber fall for temptation?

Just seen this. It feels like a season or two early for someone like Man Ure to go for him. But they are probably a little panicky at the way things appear to be going, so maybe it is real. I can’t see him turning it down, even if he is reputably keen to work in Europe. We can only hope he had made proper plans for his own replacement.

I'm not saying he wouldn't be tempted, for obvious reasons, but if the story is right, and he would be working with  Woodward and Solskjaer, and others, as an adviser, then he would have much less autonomy and power than he has with us, and less than he might have with some other clubs.

• Like 1

On the up side, his wife is also employed here and you'd think he'd want to stay a little while. Also on the up side, he's worked at Liverpool before and that might make the idea of working at United less attractive.

On the down side, he's only ever stayed at the same club for a couple of years... and it's Man United, one of the biggest clubs in the world. I guess all we can do is keep everything crossed and hope that either this is just paper talk, or that he feels he's got another year (or more) in him at NCFC. But if United genuinely go for him waving a wedge of cash, I'd be very surprised if he turned it down.

If he was offered the same role at Man Utd as he has here, then of course he’d go, but that doesn’t sound like what the newspaper / journo suggests they are offering - instead to be chair of an ex-player dominated recruiting committee. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Surfer said:

If he was offered the same role at Man Utd as he has here, then of course he’d go, but that doesn’t sound like what the newspaper / journo suggests they are offering - instead to be chair of an ex-player dominated recruiting committee. 

Agree with Surfer, his reputation is up there atm, risking it on a basket case like Man U could set him back years. 

His talent is unearthing unknown quality, not bringing in multi million pound players that are being scouted by all the other big Clubs. 

Nothing to see here......I hope. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Agree with Surfer, his reputation is up there atm, risking it on a basket case like Man U could set him back years. 

His talent is unearthing unknown quality, not bringing in multi million pound players that are being scouted by all the other big Clubs. 

Nothing to see here......I hope. 

Risking it on a basket case like Man United??!

....lets not kid ourselves, if theres any chance if of this being true, he'd be at Old Trafford in a quarter of the time it took Mike Walker to get to Goodison Park..

Articles I've read say he's on a shortlist - he's probably going to be on a lot of shortlists at the moment. Doesn't mean to say they'll go for him, they'll likely go for someone a bit more 'proven'. If this story was in a year's time after a good PL season then I'd be a bit more worried.

Wasn't he on the shortlist of some big Bundesliga club not too long ago as well?

Edited by Captain Obvious

Webber’s reputation is at a peak right now. Even if Norwich survive in the Prem it won’t raise his profile much - winning something will always make a bigger impression. He’s the current ‘hot thing’ and even if he maintains that level over a season there might be some other sporting director who is the ‘hot thing’ instead. 

Even if was only something like Man U’s Head of Recruitment, that would probably be seen as a step up from his current role. 

If his ambition really is to work in Spain or somewhere else than he isn’t going to get that chance being Norwich’s Sporting Director, unless he does something incredible like win a cup or get into the Champions’ League. But Leicester’s Sporting Director only got a move to Everton off the back of them winning the League. Norwich just aren’t high profile enough for a European club to take a punt on a guy who doesn’t speak the native language. 

If Manure put an offer in for Webber only accept it if they give us £200 million - we need him. Surely they won’t go for him yet though as we’ve only just come up from the Championship 

Just been on Manchester fans forum the only name mentioned is sporting director of Roma let’s hope

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Risking it on a basket case like Man United??!

....lets not kid ourselves, if theres any chance if of this being true, he'd be at Old Trafford in a quarter of the time it took Mike Walker to get to Goodison Park..

You might be right, like I just don't think that it's a good fit for him or for Man U.

Agreed, not a good fit for Man U, but in a common sense world he would be and they ought to grab him. But how much common sense is there at Old Trafford? Think Purple and Surfer have it right – our big appeal to Mr Webber included the autonomy he found for himself here. As yet I suspect he is not powerful enough, despite his track record so far, to go in and dominate the politics of it all at OT and so I believe that he would for example find more trouble coping with the recruitment committee than actually recruiting – don’t think there’d be much chance of uncovering gems by stealth and, however big a club they are, they definitely need some of them given the scale of the rebuilding job. I know it’s a cliché but even a broken clock is right twice a day and The Sun’s scatter fire rumours will eventually get it right, maybe sooner than we’d hope, but I’d be really surprised if this is that moment.

If they do indeed approach him, I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to work at such a big club.

It would be interesting to see how it would work. At Norwich, he has a completely free reign to run the club as he sees fit; he has complete control. I have an inkling that it won't be the same at United, where they already seem to have a strategy all planned out.

If he does go, it would be a huge shame. I'd love to see how far he and Farke could take us in the PL.

A Sky sports article mentioned a couple of weeks ago that Webber was one of the best candidates in the UK with actual experience and success. Presumably the tabloid journalists have just got round to reading that....

It doesn’t seem the right fit for me. He’s not done it at a big club before or even taken a club like us to say, Europe/continuous relative success in the Prem. He has (as far as I’m aware) no links to Utd (which Utd seem to be keen on - “knows the ‘United way’”). He wouldn’t have the same level of control there as he has here. Utd are a mess.

I expect he’ll stay with us for another season or two. Then, if we are successful, he might go to a top top side. If we stagnate/get relegated, I’d guess he’ll go abroad.

Webber’s replacement is already here - Daniel Farke will make the step from Head Coach to Sporting Director. That was always his plan in the early days if you remember some of Farkes interviews - he was more interested in being a SD than a HC. 

• Like 3

Its what happens in football. People want to try things and improve all the time. If he went to another club it will be because he has been successful here in a very short time, dramatically so last season. So we would have nothing to grouch about. 

Lambert was the "Messiah" while he was here. Now he is the butt of our jokes. Most people in football are transient and they kiss a new badge the next season.

If he was to go, and we hope he doesn't, until one day we probably sack him, then it won't erase last season. McInally was the bees knees for a while. Now it is someone else. We will survive and who knows what a change may or may not bring.

Man Utd? Don't make me laugh.  It would not be a step up for him imo, it would be a step into a nightmare - in terms of what Werbber would be looking for.  The culture isn't there for him - and he would not be given enough power to change the whole culture of such a club, which is what would be needed.   Some clubs you could see him going to, but Man Utd imo, is not one of them.  A poisoned chalice if ever there was one.

• Like 1

Realistically, is he going to be given the chance to change the whole culture of any club which is an already established premier league/top flight side? The only place he will get given the opportunity to change things drastically is if he goes to clubs like us and Huddersfield - clear potential but need some turning around.

Even if he goes to an Everton type club, if they got into the top 6 would that be much down to him? They’re already knocking on the door. 

If he does want to ‘further his career’ then he must know that at a bigger club he will not be given as much freedom/“power”. 

4 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Webber’s reputation is at a peak right now. Even if Norwich survive in the Prem it won’t raise his profile much - winning something will always make a bigger impression. He’s the current ‘hot thing’ and even if he maintains that level over a season there might be some other sporting director who is the ‘hot thing’ instead. 

Even if was only something like Man U’s Head of Recruitment, that would probably be seen as a step up from his current role. 

If his ambition really is to work in Spain or somewhere else than he isn’t going to get that chance being Norwich’s Sporting Director, unless he does something incredible like win a cup or get into the Champions’ League. But Leicester’s Sporting Director only got a move to Everton off the back of them winning the League. Norwich just aren’t high profile enough for a European club to take a punt on a guy who doesn’t speak the native language. 

What makes you think he doesn't speak Spanish? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Man Utd? Don't make me laugh.  It would not be a step up for him imo, it would be a step into a nightmare - in terms of what Werbber would be looking for.  The culture isn't there for him - and he would not be given enough power to change the whole culture of such a club, which is what would be needed.   Some clubs you could see him going to, but Man Utd imo, is not one of them.  A poisoned chalice if ever there was one.

The culture wasn't "there for him" here either, but he quickly sorted that out.  Given the same authority, there's no reason why he would assume he couldn't do the same at Man Utd.

Of course, given the job he's done I'd much prefer he stayed, but it's not like he hung about at Huddersfield when a 'better offer' came along.  

If Man Utd are serious, he'll go, IMO.

4 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Whoah, steady on, why are you mentioning him working in Europe likes it going to happen tomorrow?

Not everyone on here things Norwich is the biggest club in the world - what you’re saying is pretty obvious and it’s built entirely on a 2+2 written in the Sun and the fact that one day Webber has said he wants to work abroad.

Personally I couldn’t give a sh1t where he goes and when so long as he sees through whatever project he’s currently working on rather than rush through the door leaving someone else to pick it up.  

Perhaps I’m being naive but not everyone works like that. I appreciate he upped and left Huddersfield but a large proportion of that surely revolved around the fact they were closing their academy and Norwich wanted to strengthen theirs. 

The main point of all of this is the sea change Webber implemented not necessarily factored on one individual who can never be replaced. 

2 hours ago, Leedscanary said:

Webber’s replacement is already here - Daniel Farke will make the step from Head Coach to Sporting Director. That was always his plan in the early days if you remember some of Farkes interviews - he was more interested in being a SD than a HC. 

I don't think so. Yes, it was Farke's intention, but several years ago now, before he started being a head coach. He can always became a DoF much later if he wants, but with his obvious talent for being a head coach he will want to see how high he can go as that. He will at least want to be a head coach in the Bundesliga, or with a big club in another top league. The offers will come in, and he will want to take at least one of them.

22 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

What makes you think he doesn't speak Spanish? 

I’m 99.9% sure I read somewhere that he’s been taking Spanish lessons for some time, but I could be wrong.

Losing Webber would be a massive blow. His time here is not done, and I’m sure he wants to see how far he can take us before he explores the Catalan coast. Fingers crossed 🤞 

Be a huge draw for him no doubt. The decision making at Old Trafford hasn't been the best so hoping they end up looking somewhere else.