Sign in to follow this  
Molly Windley

Keepers And Handball - New But Confusing Rule Change

Maybe I`m being thick, if I am then it will not be the first time and my feels will not be hurt and someone points out the glaringly obvious..

There is already a thread on new rule changes for next season, but a piece on the PinkUn main site caught my eye. When is it now handball and not handball by the keeper inside the penalty box? My big confusion is over the keeper "attempting to kick the ball to release it into play" as in both scenarios given I believe that the ball is already in play.

The IFAB site states in regards to handball by goalkeepers.

18Law changes 2019/20 – text and explanations

2. Indirect free kick Amended text

An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

controls the ball with the hands/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it

touches the ball with the hands/arm after releasing it and before it has touched another player

touches the ball with the hand/arm, unless the goalkeeper has clearly kicked or attempted to kick the ball to release it into play, after

it has been deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper by a team-mate

receiving it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate

Explanation Inclusion of ‘arm’ is consistent with other parts of the Law relating to handling the ball.

When the GK clearly kicks or tries to kick the ball into play, this shows no intention to handle the ball so, if the ‘clearance’ attempt is unsuccessful, the goalkeeper can then handle the ball without committing an offence

Link is http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/791/171520_110319_IFAB_LoG_changes_and_clarifications.pdf

Discussion on text is from page 18 of the PDF.

I would like to see them outlaw keepers who take an easy catch then promptly fall to the floor hanging onto the ball for as long as they think they can get away with...

2 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Isn't it just to prevent the keeper holding onto the ball for the whole match? Or dropping it and picking it up infinitely?

It was this line that confuses me

When the GK clearly kicks or tries to kick the ball into play, this shows no intention to handle the ball so, if the ‘clearance’ attempt is unsuccessful, the goalkeeper can then handle the ball without committing an offence

Unless it is a goal kick, free kick or kick from the hands then the ball is already in play and what if the keeper is trying to kick the ball out of play and not into play?

Does this mean that if a keeper miss controls with his feet that he can now handle the ball?

4 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

I would like to see them outlaw keepers who take an easy catch then promptly fall to the floor hanging onto the ball for as long as they think they can get away with...

It is already covered by the six second rule. If they drop to the floor and hang on for more than six seconds then it's an indirect free kick.

Re the OP: it simply means that if they try to kick the ball clear but somehow miss it or miskick it in such a way that it comes back to them, then they are allowed to pick it up again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Molly Windley said:

It was this line that confuses me

I think they're trying to stop the scenario where the keeper drops the ball at his feet, dithers for a while, and when the opposing forward finally goes to close him down, keeper picks the ball up again.

Problem with these rules it that they have to write them in terms of "acceptable behaviour" rather than spell out what they're trying to eliminate.

2 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

I think they're trying to stop the scenario where the keeper drops the ball at his feet, dithers for a while, and when the opposing forward finally goes to close him down, keeper picks the ball up again.

Problem with these rules it that they have to write them in terms of "acceptable behaviour" rather than spell out what they're trying to eliminate.

A keeper cannot deliberately drop the ball under his control and then handle it again, that is already a free kick offence.

It say "kick the ball into play", but if the ball is already in play unless he has hands on it.

What if he is deliberately trying to put the ball "out of play"

Why, why, why do the powers that be always try to justify their existance my making changes that do not need to be made? I think last year it was kick off, where the ball can be kicked backwards ...... did that improve anything or was it change for change's sake, just as some of these changes are.

Probably a fair point MW. “Kick the ball” would have probably sufficed.

It is a little confused, seems that if you scuff a clearance you can pick it up - but that could still see misinterpretation.

One change I’m happy with is the goal kick revision - it was ridiculous that players could step in and take the ball in the area just to get another goal kick; now the ball is ‘live’ if they do it.

Can we just go back to the old rule? You can only travel 3 (?) steps after catching / picking up the ball, but no other restrictions? Just combine that with the fourth official can stop the game clock / watch if he thinks you are time wasting. 

Are any of these rules actually new? 

Also, the six second rule is probably the least enforced rule in sport. Keepers regularly hold on for ten seconds or more, and when they're holding on to a lead towards the end of the game it often becomes 15. I haven't seen a free kick given for this offence in at least a decade.

22 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Are any of these rules actually new? 

Also, the six second rule is probably the least enforced rule in sport. Keepers regularly hold on for ten seconds or more, and when they're holding on to a lead towards the end of the game it often becomes 15. I haven't seen a free kick given for this offence in at least a decade.

So true.

How many indirect free kicks have been given in the 6 yard box at Carrow Road in more recent times?

But in all honesty you probably stand more chance of scoring with a free kick just outside the penalty area.

Edited by First Wazzock

11 hours ago, First Wazzock said:

How many indirect free kicks have been given in the 6 yard box at Crrow Road in more recent times?

Yeah, but you wait 'til we get to Old Trafford or the Bridge and we're level with a couple of minutes remaining. 😱

• Haha 1

I have never understood why a rule can be interpreted. It should only be black and white. Surely that is one reason for VAR? and now the introduce something that may be ignored by some and jobsworth by others.

Complete nonsense. 

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I have never understood why a rule can be interpreted. It should only be black and white. Surely that is one reason for VAR? and now the introduce something that may be ignored by some and jobsworth by others.

Complete nonsense. 

I don’t think any of the above can be interpreted. The rules themselves are black and white.

There are some bits which require the ref’s judgment (in the same way that the handball rules requires a ref to decide whether a player has deliberately handled) but the rule is clear.