Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Feedthewolf

Official summer timewasting thread

Recommended Posts

I suggest we all share our ideas on how to help the time pass over the next couple of months... it's going to be a loooong summer waiting for the Premier League fun to start. Here's a couple for starters:

* Go and see the Vikings exhibition at Norwich Castle Museum. It's really good, and if you look carefully among the old coins you can just about make out a heavily weathered ITFC cup winner's medal;

* 'Pub and paddle': lovely way to spend a day. Take a little canoe out on the Wensum, row downstream for a few miles stopping off at a few pubs along the way;

* Watch cricket. A quintessentially English summer activity; the World Cup starts soon, then the Ashes start in early August... or just find a village green near you and take a picnic basket.

What diversionary tactics do you lot have planned to usher in the new season?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing and watching a lot of tennis!

Plus a holiday to Majorca. I'm hoping that'll be enough. It likely won't be. Some decent transfer rumours wouldn't go amiss!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to jump in the motorhome and do a lap of Britain (well maybe not Scotland). Don't know whether we will try and break the lap record of just pitch up a few times and take life gently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cricket one is the most exciting.

Surely even those with an ambivalence to the sport will not fail to garner some interest in the World Cup coming up soon, especially if England do as well as expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

The cricket one is the most exciting.

Surely even those with an ambivalence to the sport will not fail to garner some interest in the World Cup coming up soon, especially if England do as well as expected.

I love my cricket, but I have to say I'm a lot more excited about the Ashes than the World Cup. I do enjoy the white-ball game, but it's not a patch on the epic drama of a Test series against the Aussies.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Going to jump in the motorhome and do a lap of Britain (well maybe not Scotland). Don't know whether we will try and break the lap record of just pitch up a few times and take life gently.

Why not Scotland? Some absolutely beautiful scenery up there, especially if you go further north. You may have been before, of course, but I find the north of Scotland to be the most spectacular place in Britain. Either way, hope you have a great time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Playing and watching a lot of tennis!

Plus a holiday to Majorca. I'm hoping that'll be enough. It likely won't be. Some decent transfer rumours wouldn't go amiss!

I don't expect many accurate transfer rumours. Based on the Webber/Farke axis of awesome so far, the business tends to get done early and largely involve players no one has heard of/was expecting. Enjoy Majorca - I'm off to Barcelona and then Porto, managed to get tickets for Portugal v Switzerland in the Nations League!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not Scotland? Some absolutely beautiful scenery up there, especially if you go further north. You may have been before, of course, but I find the north of Scotland to be the most spectacular place in Britain. Either way, hope you have a great time!

Thanks.

Scotland will just take too long. Leaving from Cornwall and covering the south coast and east coast (Norwich of course) across to the Lake District and down again.

We've also got to find time to see the Brother in Law in the Jalon Valley. Luckily, there are flights from Newquay to Alicante.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m going to take the ball into the corner to try and draw a foul

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

The cricket one is the most exciting.

Surely even those with an ambivalence to the sport will not fail to garner some interest in the World Cup coming up soon, especially if England do as well as expected.

Just to answer your point, I'm utterly ambivalent and am likely to become even more so as the world cup comes up. In fact, I actually hope that the whole thing is rubbish and England get knocked out early, as that way the rest of us will avoid being bored to tears by the media.

For the record, a game that takes several days to play cannot be classed as a sport - it is a sedentary activity (and barely even hits the activity mark).

I just don't understand how anyone can find any joy in cricket at all.

On topic of the thread, I will mostly be killing time by dodging any mention of cricket, planning for a house move, and going to China for a few weeks in the summer (although that's not until right at the end of the off-season tbf)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, king canary said:

My first child is due early August, think that might keep me busy.

Nah, it's a doddle mate. Dead easy, your life will not change one iota.... 😉 Congratulations buddy! 🙂

Edited by kick it off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going down to Chelmsford for a bit of County Cricket.

Like the idea of Pub & Paddle. Well, the pub bit of it anyway.

Could always volunteer for missionary work in Suffolk but I think building a civilisation is now beyond impossible.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, king canary said:

My first child is due early August, think that might keep me busy.

Not as busy as Queen Canary will be :classic_biggrin:. those little beggars change your life for sure.

Congratulations KC, can't beat the feeling of knowing theres a prince or princess with your DNA .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to be seen as the Westcoast of this thread, but the Pub and Paddle thing is an accident waiting to happen IMO.

When i saw it on the way to CR for a 3pm kick-off I was horrified to see no buoyancy bags in the canoe, and I'm not sure whether they even had life-jackets on. One thing is for certain paddling and alcohol is not a good combination. But as a concept it sounds fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darth Canary1 said:

Going to Boston and Cape Cod for the summer, baseball will keep me entertained🤪

Have you been to Fenway before Darth ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Other than Carrow road, Fenway is home. That's a yes by the way, usually sit in the Green Monster

Edited by Darth Canary1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Darth Canary1 said:

Other than Carrow road, Fenway is home

One for you both: 

From one of my top three albums ever. Jonathan Richman at his best - naive but charming, simple but deep and beautiful music.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Darth Canary1 said:

Other than Carrow road, Fenway is home. That's a yes by the way, usually sit in the Green Monster

Ah, the posh seats 😁 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son is seriously trying to plan an away day to the pre season in Germany around school 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kick it off said:

For the record, a game that takes several days to play cannot be classed as a sport - it is a sedentary activity (and barely even hits the activity mark).

The World Cup matches take around seven hours.

It will be interesting to follow, but living in a country where the only two cricket fans are myself and Christian Vieri, it will be hard to pick up on the telly. 

I guess I'll just most of the time chilling by the sea or going out to various events in the evenings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

I’m going to see the baseball at the end of June 

Amazing - see you there! I dream of going to Fenway one day, but for now, watching Sox v Yankees in London is an opportunity too good to turn down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

I don't want to be seen as the Westcoast of this thread, but the Pub and Paddle thing is an accident waiting to happen IMO.

When i saw it on the way to CR for a 3pm kick-off I was horrified to see no buoyancy bags in the canoe, and I'm not sure whether they even had life-jackets on. One thing is for certain paddling and alcohol is not a good combination. But as a concept it sounds fun.

When I did it, everybody absolutely had lifejackets on the whole time. I'm sure there's the possibility for people to take the p*ss, but the company have been doing it for several years now and as far as I know there have been no 'incidents' to speak of. They're very professional.

Edited by Feedthewolf
User error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kick it off said:

Just to answer your point, I'm utterly ambivalent and am likely to become even more so as the world cup comes up. In fact, I actually hope that the whole thing is rubbish and England get knocked out early, as that way the rest of us will avoid being bored to tears by the media.

For the record, a game that takes several days to play cannot be classed as a sport - it is a sedentary activity (and barely even hits the activity mark).

I just don't understand how anyone can find any joy in cricket at all.

On topic of the thread, I will mostly be killing time by dodging any mention of cricket, planning for a house move, and going to China for a few weeks in the summer (although that's not until right at the end of the off-season tbf)

Not by you, maybe. But it's absolutely a sport, even if you can't stand it - which is your prerogative, of course.

And FYI, the Cricket World Cup consists entirely of matches that take place over a single day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm clearly with the wrong crowd, Majorca, Portugal, Spain, China?... and here's me, slumming it with a trip to Fiji, again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×