Orly

Carlton on loan to Rotherham, plus 1 year extension

Hope he does well but from a financial perspective, isn't it likely that Rotherham are picking up his wages so the one year extension is basically cost neutral?

Was hoping he'd have broken into the 1st team by now...but injuries have held him back. Here's wishing him well on loan and hopefully he'll come back and challenge for the 1st team.

Hopefully he can stay injury free and score a few goals. Farke must see something in him, as the extension keeps him on the books until 2021.

Hopefully he'll stay fit, have a great season and this'll be the start of our "Screw over Ipswich by helping their opposition" plan 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kirku said:

Hope he does well but from a financial perspective, isn't it likely that Rotherham are picking up his wages so the one year extension is basically cost neutral?

No, they will be paying an amount likely to be commensurate with their income

It benefits him and us by having him playing adult football for a season

Good Luck to the Boy ,But i have a feeling his Career will be in the lower leagues , But Farke must see something in him !

Sending him out to prove himself fit and if we happen to come down next year an ideal player for a Championship campaign. If we stay up then suspect it’s decision time about moving on, but if he’s under contract he has some value. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bill said:

No, they will be paying an amount likely to be commensurate with their income

It benefits him and us by having him playing adult football for a season

Your inside knowledge of player contracts has proven invaluable again Bill.

Carlton has, like Louis, been unlucky with injuries and it is a good move by the club to give him some short-term security and the chance to get his career back on track at Rotherham. I don't see his future being at Carrow Road to be honest yet hope he can set himself up for a future elsewhere.

He's 23, so not a young man anymore, if he's going to have an impact, it has to be soon. I know that he's been unlucky with injuries but he might find that we've moved on by the time he gets back, Chrissy Martin springs to mind. 

Good luck to the lad, hopefully he'll get a good season under his belt and help Rotherham get one of the automatic places next season. 

He was unlucky with the injury as he had probably had his best season whilst out on loan at Shrewsbury (54 games) and was probably on the cusp of being Championship level.

Both him and Godfrey were apparently stand out player's in Paul Hurst's team, and Godfrey's subsequent elevation speaks for it's self  (while both Nsiala and Nolan have been a bit on a let down at Ipswich Town.)

Whether or not he can aspire to Premier League level is a doubt but, as has been said, the contract extension indicates the fact that Farke sees something in him.

I also sense that there might be something of the business motive in this extension. Clearly the player has a future in the football league at some level and a young, home-grown striker with this will always have some value in the market.

The club are covering all outcomes and, although I doubt that Rotherham will be expected to pay a loan fee they will probably be expected to contribute something towards the youngster's wage.

Think it’s last chance saloon with regards to his future with us. He needs an injury free season and to really impress otherwise I think he’ll be gone. Personally I don’t think he’s good enough at the minute and championship is the highest level he’ll play. Like to be proved wrong though. 

As the above says, good opportunity for him and profitable if one of these happen:

does well enough there, we stay up but get to sell him to a champs club

Smashes league 1 and we stay up (or go down) and he comes back to us ready made to play.

3. Does alright in league 1, we go down and we have suitable back up for the championship.

Lots good to be seen with this deal. was a big fan of his when he was in the youth team, holds the ball up well in particular.

I have to be honest, I'm quite surprised by this. He isn't a youngster any more at 23, so after his injury problems I thought he'd probably be let go in order to build a career elsewhere as he's unlikely to reach the level of where we want to be.

I suppose if he has a good season at Rotherham and we get relegated then he might be brought back into the fold, but the cynic in me thinks that this is just a money-making move. Webber wants him to have a good year at Rotherham so we can then sell him for a few hundred grand next summer.

• Like 1

Morris offers something different to an out and out striker, I thought for Shrews he played in support of a striker, more a forward which explains his moderate goal return?

I think he would have been third choice here over Srbeny had he not got injured and in that sense could have pushed for a place on the bench where required.

I guess as others have pointed out, he'd be another (cost free) option should we get relegated though I do wonder if Farke thought he had more potential he would have been loaned out to a Championship side rather than another L1 outfit (see James Husband).

If we stay up by contracting him a few more years means we'll make something on him if sold, I can see the same with Raggett and others - not sentimental I appreciate but it is what it is.

Realistically, I doubt he'll ever be an outright starter for us.

Dont really see the point of sending him out to a league one club....if he's not good enough to go out to a Championship level club at his age then I'd suggest he isn't good enough to be on our books

20 hours ago, splendidrush said:

He's 23, so not a young man anymore,

Ye god's Splendido. I get  your point but 23 is still young. I have a towel , bought in the NAAFI , Uniake barracks, Harrogate, in 1978, that i use daily. At 23 he could still win  league one young player of the season.

Edited by wcorkcanary

13 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Dont really see the point of sending him out to a league one club....if he's not good enough to go out to a Championship level club at his age then I'd suggest he isn't good enough to be on our books

Even if that were true (I don't believe it necessarily is), one of our main aims seems to be to bolster the u23s to help aid our self funded model. That's two fold - producing players for the first team but also, especially if we are in the prem, producing players who we can make money on either via loan or transfer.

Morris represents a solid player at League One level.who might yet make it in the championship. Depending how next season goes we could end up with a £2m transfer fee for him, and that's if he doesnt make it with us.

At 23 this really has to be a season for make or break. I've always liked the look of Carlton when I've seen him, he's a proper target man Grant Holtish styled forward, which you don't see so much these days. The only downside to his game, aside of his fitness issues, has been goalscoring. Hopefully a long, decent run of first team football will bring out the best of him. If it is 2 years extension, then the club must have seen enough in him on the training field to expect good things

I saw him when we won the Youth Cup at Chelsea and I thought he was the hold up man, while the Murphys and McGeehan buzzed around him, seems like that's his game, which means he's not cut out for our style of play. 

I hope it works out for him but I think that he will eventually move on. 

• Like 1

it is a great move for everyone - and hopefully he stays fit and rips up league one for Rovrum.

The extension is prudent - if he has a good season and we stay up it can only enhance any transfer fee next summer.