29 yr old with one yr left on his contract, what planet are they on!?

Bruce also said that Wednesday have 6 or 7 strikers on their books so they clearly need to sell to balance the squad.

I genuinely wouldnt be paying any more than £1m -1.5m...£2m absolute tops, otherwise I'd far rather it be put towards someone else.

Lets be honest, If Rhodes features a lot next season in anything much more than cup games, then something's gone wrong

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

£7m. Lol. I suppose it's a starting point for negotiations. 

And never forget, no deal is better than a bad deal :classic_rolleyes:

Im amazed by this thread in the last few days, with quite a few posters thinking Wednesday would be happy to let  Rhodes go for 1, 2 3  mill....get real guys. They paid 10 mill for him so its  realistic  to try and sell him in the 6 or 7 mill range. Champs strikers have been fetching 15 mill in last couple years,  McCormack and Assombalonga etc.  Do i personally think Rhodes is worth 7 mill in todays price market?..yes most definitely. Do i think City should or would pay that much for him and even consider signing him at that price?..No idea. He did nothing wrong last season as a loan player and in fact played his part in a side who were Champions of the division.

But that was last season. Im in the "lets leave it to DF/SW" camp. they more than deserve our trust in their dealings in the next few weeks / months in the transfer merry go round.

Presumably a deal with a lower fee initially but substantially more if we stay up might come into play.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Im amazed by this thread in the last few days, with quite a few posters thinking Wednesday would be happy to let  Rhodes go for 1, 2 3  mill....get real guys. They paid 10 mill for him so its  realistic  to try and sell him in the 6 or 7 mill range. Champs strikers have been fetching 15 mill in last couple years,  McCormack and Assombalonga etc.  Do i personally think Rhodes is worth 7 mill in todays price market?..yes most definitely. Do i think City should or would pay that much for him and even consider signing him at that price?..No idea. He did nothing wrong last season as a loan player and in fact played his part in a side who were Champions of the division.

But that was last season. Im in the "lets leave it to DF/SW" camp. they more than deserve our trust in their dealings in the next few weeks / months in the transfer merry go round.

....as previously said....he's in the last year of his contract...Sheff Weds can 'want' all they like

It’s not just about recouping their money for him in transfer fees. They won’t want to pay his wages for another year, notmplay him and then him go on a free anyway next summer. If they get a couple of million for him and get his salary off the books a season early that’s probably a good deal for them.

2 minutes ago, Aggy said:

It’s not just about recouping their money for him in transfer fees. They won’t want to pay his wages for another year, notmplay him and then him go on a free anyway next summer. If they get a couple of million for him and get his salary off the books a season early that’s probably a good deal for them.

If someone just takes him off their hands with no fee it is worth £2M to them. 

Every week he is there it costs them £40k. If they want to mess about with ridiculous fees that is their choice but I can’t see many clubs being that interested in Rhodes.   

33 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Every week he is there it costs them £40k. If they want to mess about with ridiculous fees that is their choice but I can’t see many clubs being that interested in Rhodes.   

Also can't see Rhodes willing to negotiate on his wages for anyone else again. Wed really shot themselves in the foot with that contract, although we ourselves are no strangers there.

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

And never forget, no deal is better than a bad deal :classic_rolleyes:

Perhaps if they change their mind and he remains, he’ll bang in twenty next year and they’ll wonder why they ever thought about getting rid... 

• Like 1

It may be that the Wednesday owner may be trying to earn a bit more back to recoup some of their FFP losses.  They are one of 'Boro's targets in their FFP case.  But why we should help them out is their problem, not ours.  £3M at most for me.

You can probably get more for the 7 million & 40k  wage than Rhodes! I’m not sure Rhodes is good enough at premiership level and if we do sign him,he’ll no doubt still want 40k a week which if relegated next year will be a big cost in the championship should we go down.

I agree with others 7 million should get us a very decent younger striker from Europe.

Wednesday will continue to ask big money for him, until it gets close to the transfer window closing then they will want him off their books.

Wednesday trying to get their nose into the PL trough.

£7m is silly, but I have a feeling that it is just an opening gambit.

I trust Webber to remain level headed and informed.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I can see plenty of championship clubs being interested in him, just not at that price.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I can see plenty of championship clubs being interested in him, just not at that price.

No one will be interested in him for £7m certainly.

I’m not sure how many will be interested in him at all to be honest. Norwich signed him unopposed last season. I reckon Wednesday could get another club to loan him again next season, but whether anyone would cover him full wages is debatable. 

I was in the 'keep him' camp, but not at 7 mill, I think Webber will wait it out,  let Wednesday sweat.

He's got plenty of other business to be getting on with, come back once Wednesday realise there are no other offers and they've had to pay his wages for a couple of months. 

If it doesn't work out, they can jog on.

Splendid Rush I concur.

Always said if the price is right and this demonstrates our home league markets inflation on prices.

As said I believe we need 2 strikers and now we will look elsewhere or srbeny now has a chance to be that third choice. When he arrived he played at the end of the season with a toothless attack.

This season he has done a job, obviously in the cup competition he did well.

We can now look elsewhere but as we have discussed this is on a back burner now while we do more important work. Fill that DM position, wide attacking player, second striker and so on.

Genuinely, I think Rhodes is worth about 3-4M for us. I know some don't think so, but I don't think you will find a striker willing to pretty much bench warm the entire season as perhaps a third choice, but also come on and do a job - which I think he will, as he did this year.

But...

7M...tell 'em they're dreamin'

Edited by CanaryChris

I don’t think he’s worth anymore than 2 million max, he’s 29, only played a handful of times in the premiership and spent most of last season bench warming.

He might be a great player to have around the club but not at expense of 10 million what would be if we paid the 7 million, plus agent fees plus player signing fee and wages.

If he was a top flight player with more premiership experience then maybe, but he’s certainly no Grant Holt.

Sheffield can keep him at that price, I trust Webber and Farke to get a better player in for less than that.

15 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

No one will be interested in him for £7m certainly.

I’m not sure how many will be interested in him at all to be honest. Norwich signed him unopposed last season. I reckon Wednesday could get another club to loan him again next season, but whether anyone would cover him full wages is debatable. 

No but at something like 2m he represents good value. 29, who has never relied on pace but is pretty much guaranteed to score goals at championship level if given a run in the team. Even taking his above average wages into account I can see at least 3 or 4 other clubs being interested in that scenario.

Excellent opportunity to be seen to play hardball. 

Drag it out until last minute with very low ball offers. If Wednesday decline it is an elegant way to blame them and deeply apologise to Jordan Rhodes.

He in turn will do all he can to get Wednesday to take the lowball offer. 

May as well be pretty near zero as an offer in truth...

Parma

1 minute ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Excellent opportunity to be seen to play hardball. 

Drag it out until last minute with very low ball offers. If Wednesday decline it is an elegant way to blame them and deeply apologise to Jordan Rhodes.

He in turn will do all he can to get Wednesday to take the lowball offer. 

May as well be pretty near zero as an offer in truth...

Parma

If they can do that Parma, I'd want Webber & co. to negotiate Brexit for us!

35 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

If they can do that Parma, I'd want Webber & co. to negotiate Brexit for us!

I doubt an intelligent young man who wants to work in Europe would be happy to do that for you, Ron. 

3 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

I doubt an intelligent young man who wants to work in Europe would be happy to do that for you, Ron. 

Fuzzar, I also very much doubt a man of his intelligence, education and pride - when faced with a difficult, multi-faceted decision based on huge swathes of empirical, philosophical and technical data - would have walked out into the middle of the Carrow Road pitch and made the decision based on the volume of the roar from the stands. Particularly if the roar for each option was at a decibel level within 2% of the other one. However much he respected the fans and valued their support and right to a view.

I suspect Webber would have considered that to have to take such a major decision in such a clumsy way would have been a massive insult to his capabilities and a betrayal of the responsibilities of office he had been entrusted with. 

Parma

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Indy said:

If he was a top flight player with more premiership experience then maybe, but he’s certainly no Grant Holt.

What about that James Norwood fella? He's supposed to be similar to Holty and the right age too. Stiff competition for him though......

Bit surprised at this thread, seems to be far too much sentiment getting in the way of a sensible decision. Rhodes wasn't/isn't good enough to get in the Weds team and wasn't/isn't good enough to get in ours, at Championship level. Can't remember the last time he nailed down a regular first team place anywhere?  We are led to believe there are very limited funds next season and surely there must be a better striker in the world than Rhodes at £40k a week. We shouldn't be worrying about backups at that sort of money, I'd rather we blooded Idah.

Rhodes was the guy to come off the bench with 5 or 10 mins to go last season to basically run around. We'll need better than that to win games in the Prem.