56 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

If he’s not good enough for Sheffield Wednesday then he’s not going to be good enough for us.

A lovely lad and a good influence last season, but we need players that are going to improve the squad. I think he’s past his best now unfortunately (and his best is the Championship anyway).

The squad at the moment has Pukki, Srbeny and Oliveira as its strikers (as well as Morris and Idah). I’d say Rhodes would instantly improve that.

Pukki will be first choice obviously so it’s then finding 2 other strikers, one to push Pukki for a start and another (the srbeny of this season) for the odd appearance and ready in case of injuries etc. Rhodes would perfectly fit the bill for this role and as has been said, knows the club, wants to be here, is good in the dressing room, will help out the youngsters and, as he showed, is a very competent finisher. He’s also ready and waiting if we are to return to the championship, to perform a similar role to the one he’s just done for us, which was key to our successful season.

The only question therefore is cost. Get him at the right price and it’s a no brainer.

• Like 1

If we owned him already and the question was do we sell him for a nominal fee would you want him gone? I suspect not. Useful player to have that if we can buy him for a nominal fee we should go for. He would be useful in the cup competitions as well.

The question for me will always be if he were that good and could do a job in the PL, why hasn't he been picked up before and is currently surplus to requirements at Sheff Wed?

Like Bamford, good enough for the Championship but the step up a level is too great.

But at least he doesn't look like Lady Diana and play with the centre of gravity in his neck.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

True, he would have scored plenty of goals.... and we'd still be a Championship side! 

This is really doing him a dis-service. He has scored crucial goals in contributing to our promotion - and without them we may not have got it. The goals against Villa, away at West Brom and in the Millwall bonanza particularly.  Can't understand why people are so dismissive of him.  Nobody thinks he will be a first choice, but he could play an important role in the scheme of things, maybe mostly off the pitch, but as we saw when he did come on last season, he nearly always had chances to score - and give a striker like him chances and he will score goals.  So it's the Premier League? Bah! So what! Get him back!

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

This is really doing him a dis-service. He has scored crucial goals in contributing to our promotion - and without them we may not have got it. The goals against Villa, away at West Brom and in the Millwall bonanza particularly.  Can't understand why people are so dismissive of him.  Nobody thinks he will be a first choice, but he could play an important role in the scheme of things, maybe mostly off the pitch, but as we saw when he did come on last season, he nearly always had chances to score - and give a striker like him chances and he will score goals.  So it's the Premier League? Bah! So what! Get him back!

Not dismissive but realistic.

We don't have money to burn on wages for someone who is good in the dressing room but spends minimal amounts of time on the pitch and he will not get many chances if he does come on.

We need to avoid sentiment and start looking forward. If Farke and Webber wanted him, I'm sure we'd have him by now.

Thanks JR, you did your bit, but keep picking up the money in the Champs.

• Like 1

If anybody doubts that Rhodes has got that special talent for scoring goals on a regular basis they should recall that Villa game at Carrow Road where he came on as sub and won the three points.

It's often said that a genuine goalscorer ("sniffer") scores goals at any level, a fact which may or may not be true with regards JR, but there are a few "levels" in the Premier League after all and there is no doubting the inevitability  that  he would score a few given the opportunity..

In an environment where every goal is precious (remember the Hughton days) a "sniffer" could be invaluable.

It's down to value for money in the end. Rhodes has previously indicated a willingness to compromise on wage demands so it is down to Wednesday and their demands.

Perhaps though their situation is not as desperate as we seem to think as there will likely be plenty of Championship clubs willing to take him on on the same terms as City did.

I'm in favour of retaining him on the books as it could be money well invested. 

• Like 1

I tend to agree with you Broady , with our transfer budget , it's the kind of signing we should be making

13 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Not dismissive but realistic.

We don't have money to burn on wages for someone who is good in the dressing room but spends minimal amounts of time on the pitch and he will not get many chances if he does come on.

We need to avoid sentiment and start looking forward. If Farke and Webber wanted him, I'm sure we'd have him by now.

Thanks JR, you did your bit, but keep picking up the money in the Champs.

But drazen, we do need to burn money on someone who is not going to spend much time on the pitch, so they should be good in the dressing room and able to step up when they do get those fleeting minutes and JR has proven that. I was originally of the so long and thanks brigade but am coming around to thinking this would be a good move if the price is right...

• Like 1

A reminder that next season we will be playing in the Premier League, and not the Championship.

Rhodes has scored 20 league goals in 4 seasons.

I get that he's a nice lad and a good influence, but I'm sure Webber/Farke can find a striker for similar money that is going to have the mobility and pace to offer something different off the bench. 

We need to be looking at a striker offering different attributes, not just a cheerleader on the bench.

Realistically, would we be suggesting Rhodes had he not been here last season? I think most fans would be really underwhelmed.

Edited by Hoola Han Solo
  • Like 1

If we can get him for no more than £1 million and wages no more than £20K per week we should leave it. He has no record of goal scoring in the Premier League so should be third choice.

• Like 1

I think wages would have been a issue to signing him, especally if we on the bench most of the time

2 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

But drazen, we do need to burn money on someone who is not going to spend much time on the pitch, so they should be good in the dressing room and able to step up when they do get those fleeting minutes and JR has proven that. I was originally of the so long and thanks brigade but am coming around to thinking this would be a good move if the price is right...

Again, we cannot burn money and, at the age of 30 with the number of paydays left diminishing, I don't think Rhodes would be conducive to making the price right when the top half of the Championship would line his pockets better than we can.

"Realistically, would we be suggesting Rhodes had he not been here last season? I think most fans would be really underwhelmed."

Surely that's the point though, we know exactly what we are getting both on and off the pitch.

We were all ecstatic about the RVW signing whilst hardly having a clue about him. Look how that turned out.

Farke is canny about footballers, he knows a good fit.

Webber is canny with money, he knows good value.

I go along with whatever decision is arrived at.

• Like 1

I’m a bit torn over Rhodes.

Was in the ‘thanks for the memories’ camp, but now softened a little. However, the key point to me seems to be that Rhodes isn’t really good enough for the Prem. Should Norwich be spending money on a player not good enough? Do Norwich need to have a 3rd choice striker, who is an out and out striker? Could the squad be managed better than that? 

There are a few of big unknowns in this debate. Are Norwich planning on getting Rhodes and A. N. Other striker? I’ve said before that for maximum squad efficiency you’d want the 2nd choice ‘striker’ to be someone who is first choice somewhere else in the team so the fee and wages aren’t on the bench. The club need to maximise the amount of money invested in players in on the pitch playing. The cost of getting Rhodes is also a big factor and how much a different option would cost. 

The worry is that a third choice striker isn’t like a third choice keeper, one injury and Rhodes is on the bench as the man to come on in the hunt for a goal. The reality is, Jordan hasn’t been great at that for Norwich for quite a while. His last goal was in January and in his appearances off the bench he hasn’t really looked like a player who is going to change anything. Against Preston, Wigan and Reading he came on and did very little. That’s understandable as he hadn’t played many minutes - but if that is the role people want him to play it seems it isn’t his strength. 

It is one things saying ‘if he’s cheap then it’s fine’. But Norwich would still be spending on someone that probably can’t actually contribute on the pitch. The flip side is that Norwich need extra players in attack, and they will all cost something, so it may be Rhodes is better than alternatives who cost a similar amount. But it might be better to spend a little more and get a player who can also contribute out wide, or in the No. 10 position. 

I wouldn’t like to see Norwich rush into this transfer. Alternatives should be fully explored. Jordan isn’t going anywhere and making Sheff Wed sweat a bit might help get the fee down to zero - which I think is the price Norwich should pay, considering the £40k a week contract Rhodes currently has. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

"Realistically, would we be suggesting Rhodes had he not been here last season? I think most fans would be really underwhelmed."

Surely that's the point though, we know exactly what we are getting both on and off the pitch.

We were all ecstatic about the RVW signing whilst hardly having a clue about him. Look how that turned out.

Farke is canny about footballers, he knows a good fit.

Webber is canny with money, he knows good value.

I go along with whatever decision is arrived at.

Yep - this again. As I said, if we wanted him, I'm sure Farke & Webber would've sorted it by now.

Maybe, they are doing something about it?

If he's cheap enough, and Oliveira is definitely going, then he's a good swap and as important off the field as on it. However, even if we did sign him I'd want to see us bring in someone else too. Srbeny hasn't really done it in the champ, so would struggle in the Prem. On the back of that I'd say we need two strikers signed this summer, but certainly wouldn't mind Rhodes being one of them. 

Is the fact we're 'looking at Rhodes' pure conjecture anyway?

The original rumour came from The Sun.

This might be a lot of smoke and mirrors cast up by a journo adding 2+2 together and / or agents looking to drum up obvious interest in their client given we know Weds are looking to offload a number of players this summer and Rhodes has been playing for us.

As a few others have pointed to before, the club isn't going to be out and out open about how much money we have to spend against the fact we need to spend a fair amount to allow for a decent crack at the league - I'm looking at you BYG.

In such an instance, signing Rhodes, on the cheap, alongside 2/3 (mix of perm or loan) isn't such a bad idea when you consider we'll also have to play cup games - a: Rhodes we know and he knows us and b: we'd be mad to start the season with just two forwards anyway.

In my eyes, the Rhodes signing, if it happens, is hardly going to be our 'marquee' bearing in mind our marquee will probably be someone we've never heard of so I don't think we really need to worry.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I’m a bit torn over Rhodes.

Was in the ‘thanks for the memories’ camp, but now softened a little. However, the key point to me seems to be that Rhodes isn’t really good enough for the Prem. Should Norwich be spending money on a player not good enough? Do Norwich need to have a 3rd choice striker, who is an out and out striker? Could the squad be managed better than that? 

There are a few of big unknowns in this debate. Are Norwich planning on getting Rhodes and A. N. Other striker? I’ve said before that for maximum squad efficiency you’d want the 2nd choice ‘striker’ to be someone who is first choice somewhere else in the team so the fee and wages aren’t on the bench. The club need to maximise the amount of money invested in players in on the pitch playing. The cost of getting Rhodes is also a big factor and how much a different option would cost. 

The worry is that a third choice striker isn’t like a third choice keeper, one injury and Rhodes is on the bench as the man to come on in the hunt for a goal. The reality is, Jordan hasn’t been great at that for Norwich for quite a while. His last goal was in January and in his appearances off the bench he hasn’t really looked like a player who is going to change anything. Against Preston, Wigan and Reading he came on and did very little. That’s understandable as he hadn’t played many minutes - but if that is the role people want him to play it seems it isn’t his strength. 

It is one things saying ‘if he’s cheap then it’s fine’. But Norwich would still be spending on someone that probably can’t actually contribute on the pitch. The flip side is that Norwich need extra players in attack, and they will all cost something, so it may be Rhodes is better than alternatives who cost a similar amount. But it might be better to spend a little more and get a player who can also contribute out wide, or in the No. 10 position. 

I wouldn’t like to see Norwich rush into this transfer. Alternatives should be fully explored. Jordan isn’t going anywhere and making Sheff Wed sweat a bit might help get the fee down to zero - which I think is the price Norwich should pay, considering the £40k a week contract Rhodes currently has. 

Agree with this ^^^^

I don’t see the link between what many posters are describing as Rhodes’ strengths, and what I see when I watch him come off the bench. He is not quick, he’s not agile, he’s not prolific and hasn’t been for 4 years. If we can get him for free / minimal fee, then maybe he’s a good influence and someone to have around the training ground day to day, but I do believe we should be looking to sign someone a bit more special/able to perform at premier league level. 

Edited by CanaryNath

I can’t believe the number of posters making comments along the lines of “we can do better”! Really? Perhaps they can suggest who is better, in our budget and likely to consider coming here?

I agree the chances are we will sign a forward from abroad who we’ve never heard of, but proven strikers at Premier League level are in a shop we can’t afford to buy from. Jordan - at a realistic cost - would be a decent buy. Somewhere between 5-10 goals from him could be enough to help us stay up, and we all know what that is worth.

• Like 5

We need a striker as a legitimate alternative to Pukki,  but given that, the bottom line is who else are you going to get in who is  prepared to sit on the bench, or maybe not even that as a third or fourth striker? 

6 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I can’t believe the number of posters making comments along the lines of “we can do better”! Really? Perhaps they can suggest who is better, in our budget and likely to consider coming here?

I agree the chances are we will sign a forward from abroad who we’ve never heard of, but proven strikers at Premier League level are in a shop we can’t afford to buy from. Jordan - at a realistic cost - would be a decent buy. Somewhere between 5-10 goals from him could be enough to help us stay up, and we all know what that is worth.

Why do you believe Rhodes will score 5-10 goals in the Prem next year? He only scored 6 in the Championship this season. 

23 minutes ago, CanaryNath said:

Agree with this ^^^^

I don’t see the link between what many posters are describing as Rhodes’ strengths, and what I see when I watch him come off the bench. He is not quick, he’s not agile, he’s not prolific and hasn’t been for 4 years. If we can eat him for free / minimal fee, then maybe he’s a good influence and someone to have around the training ground day to day, but I do believe we should be looking to sign someone a bit more special/able to perform at premier league level. 

I thought Yellows had been closed...😀

13 minutes ago, CanaryNath said:

Why do you believe Rhodes will score 5-10 goals in the Prem next year? He only scored 6 in the Championship this season. 

He didn't play much that's why he only got 6.

I look at the goals he did get, he took them all really well. People go on about he can't handle the Premier League but from what I've seen he knows how to sniff out a goal. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CanaryNath said:

Exactly. He's not hit double figures in a few seasons at this level so why he's suddenly going to bang in 5-10 in the Premier League is beyond me.

23 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

I look at the goals he did get, he took them all really well. People go on about he can't handle the Premier League but from what I've seen he knows how to sniff out a goal. 

Would he play much more in the Premier League?

15 minutes ago, king canary said:
38 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Would he play much more in the Premier League?

Isn't that the point? He isn't going to get many, if any appearances if we get another striker to compete with Pukki. I ask again who or what type of player are people wanting to get as a third or fourth striker who is experienced enough to be able to come on and possibly score vital goals?  A youngster? Because that is the only viable alternative. 

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

I wouldn’t want to sign him permanently. Pukki will obviously be first choice and he has different attributes to Rhodes. You normally get two type of strikers, the smaller, quicker ones with pace and the strikers who are tall, strong and good in the air. For me, Rhodes isn’t  good enough in any of these areas. If we’re signing an alternative striker I’d rather we signed a powerhouse type of striker who would cause defenders problems in the air. Rhodes has been excellent with his attitude off the pitch but that shouldn’t come into it when making a signing.  

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Isn't that the point? He isn't going to get many, if any appearances if we get another striker to compete with Pukki. I ask again who or what type of player are people wanting to get as a third or fourth striker who is experienced enough to be able to come on and possibly score vital goals?  A youngster? Because that is the only viable alternative. 

If he isn’t going to play, why spend money on him? 

This is the conundrum at the heart of the ‘to Rhodes, or not to Rhodes’ debate. The pro-Rhodes argument is ‘he’s a good guy and don’t worry that he isn’t a good player as he’ll never play’. The anti-Rhodes argument is ‘he isn’t good, so don’t waste money on him’. 

I can see merit in signing or not signing him. 

But to say ‘he’s not going to play, so let’s sign him’ is a crazy argument. 

My personal choice would be to get in two new players who can play in multiple attacking positions to back up Pukki and challenge Hernandez/Stipermann.