Going back to Sheffield after loan expires.But I suppose we could try and get him anyway otbc

Send him back and see if Sheffield release him out of his contract?

Edited by Indy

Good championship player but my view is he is not Premiership standard. Take off the yellow and green blinkers and forget ' he is one of us '. Thanks Jordan for your efforts last season.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Good championship player but my view is he is not Premiership standard. Take off the yellow and green blinkers and forget ' he is one of us '. Thanks Jordan for your efforts last season.

Binner 

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

A True Canary

We will need experienced players in the squad and home grown players too. He fits the bill - and the team proved they could make chances for him last season, even though he had limited time on the pitch.  Worthy of a place in the squad imo - we will surely get another striker in too, so where else are we going to get a third or fourth striker of any worth who would be ok sitting on the bench most of the season but still be able to give their all when required? 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

the sun must have got to one of us

as I am in complete agreement with those words 🤪

• Haha 1

Could be shrewd business if price is right. Sounds like Farke likes him around the squad, even if his game time has been limited.

But could be forward thinking "if" Norwich were to get relegated they'd have a strong Championship striker on their books.

I agree I'd like us to get quality to really push Pukki and I don't think it's Rhodes, but I'd take him as our 3rd choice striker. Sorry Srbeny!

Opinion is fine but to say he isn't a certain standard gives a lie to those that have done well. Who would have thought a certain Mr Holt would have gone on to terrorise Prem defenders.

He has to be an option but probably not a starter. But you have to look at successful teams in the Prem and their use of squads and bringing on impact players.

Had Rhodes been given the minutes that Teemu Pukki got this year he would have scored a lot of goals. He fits our system and mentality.

His game isn't about physicality or speed so i don't think he'll decline massively. I also know next to nothing about football so that might not be based on anything at all.

Sign him up.

I’d be very happy with Rhodes to reprise his backup role if the right financial deal with both club and player can be agreed. I think he would be very useful to throw on when chasing games in the Prem, he only needs to score a handful of goals across the season considering the stakes to more than payback his cost.

27 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Had Rhodes been given the minutes that Teemu Pukki got this year he would have scored a lot of goals. He fits our system and mentality.

His game isn't about physicality or speed ....

But Teemu's game IS based on speed - or at least acceleration to create himself space. He was a good alternative to throw on later in a game but not an ideal backup to Pukki in my opinion. 

I'll just repeat what I said earlier in the transfer thread:

This (a comment similar to Til's in this thread) was my line of thought for most of the close-season so far, but I'm starting to come round to the idea. We need a 'number three' striker to give backup to Pukki and his challenger, and Rhodes already fits in with the group, probably won't moan about a lack of playing time, and is home-grown. He ticks all the boxes for what we're looking for in a third striker.

The only issue is cost. If Sheffield Wednesday want a couple of million for him and Rhodes wants £30-40k a week, then it probably isn't worth it.

• Like 1

Rhodes ticks all the boxes for me. Webber will want to negotiate hard so send him back, feign lack of interest, but pounce quickly when the right deal is on the table. Hope we see him again, I agree with ldc  spot on mate.

I think the problem for Rhodes was always going to be financial. I think he’d be a decent third choice option next season. He isn’t a like for like swap for Pukki, but useful to have to bring on last twenty minutes when chasing games and need to go two up top or need something different. However, he is probably going to be too expensive (fee and salary) for a third choice striker when we’re going to need to bring in a second as well.

I would have no problem whatsoever with him being here again next season - but only (as the article says) if the price is right.

5 minutes ago, Aggy said:

I think the problem for Rhodes was always going to be financial. I think he’d be a decent third choice option next season. He isn’t a like for like swap for Pukki, but useful to have to bring on last twenty minutes when chasing games and need to go two up top or need something different. However, he is probably going to be too expensive (fee and salary) for a third choice striker when we’re going to need to bring in a second as well.

I would have no problem whatsoever with him being here again next season - but only (as the article says) if the price is right.

Not sure where on top strikers would be, though I am aware that when we Rhodes has come on near the end of the game he, like Pukki, was covering every bit of the pitch where he was needed. That is how the game is played as the cross by Klose for Lewis to head in at Chelsea. In a similar last minute goal we had Hanley crossing from the touch line for Klose to score.

It is football, not 'battleships'. Players position on the pitch is more defined by where the ball and the opposition is rather than their being confined to a defined area.

unfortunately I don't think Rhodeshas the pace to cope with the PL. And it is not about money either, as we will be £90m plus better off next season. It is how that money is spent, and what wages paid would be better off being used to pay a Buendia, Onel type. A player who could manage 90mins if needed player. Who has the potential of those two, and Lewis Aarons and Gordon how have made the step up.

We need to be going into the next season with a mindset of winning games, building on what we have achieved so far - not hoping to cling on and pull back from defeats by having the (parked) bus conductor calling out thaer's room for one more 'on top#.

On the basis of his goals to minutes played Rhodes performed well last season. His willingness not play a starting role shows he is a team player. He offers something different to Pukki, Rhodes doesn’t create space in the same way as Pukki does but he can find it and so he asks a different set of questions to opposing defenders which gives the manager attacking variety particularly late in the game.

Is Rhodes really any less of a player than someone like Glen Murray? Personally I don’t think so. The only difference is we know Murray can score 10 goals a season in the Prem. If Rhodes was a permanent starter he is good enough to do the same given a consistent run. But for us he is an option from the bench and an effective one at that.

If we do want Rhodes then the price obviously needs to be right and having him back on Wednesday’s payroll for the summer seems good sense- it gives us a few months to feign indifference, it reminds them how much his wages are. It is the perfect opening gambit  before we beat up Wednesday on a transfer fee. Having said all this I’d still like us to sign another striker first. Someone who could operate as a starter in competition to Pukki. It’s a lot to ask I know and so, like most of you, I’m praying that our Mr Webber and his team can work their magic once again. 

Just watched the season review. He's a class act, good, intelligent awareness & positioning. Can see him scoring a few in the PL.

3 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

Could be shrewd business if price is right. Sounds like Farke likes him around the squad, even if his game time has been limited.

But could be forward thinking "if" Norwich were to get relegated they'd have a strong Championship striker on their books.

I agree I'd like us to get quality to really push Pukki and I don't think it's Rhodes, but I'd take him as our 3rd choice striker. Sorry Srbeny!

I’m presuming you’re saying we should sign another forward to be the ‘2nd choice’ striker? 

IMO Rhodes is a decent option if we can get him for 2-3 mill....

2 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

His game isn't about physicality or speed so i don't think he'll decline massively. I also know next to nothing about football so that might not be based on anything at all.

Sign him up.

True, he would have scored plenty of goals.... and we'd still be a Championship side!   No way he would have scored as many as Pukki or created the goals Pukki did, or done the running Pukki did to create space for others.    For all the good work he did in the bacjground, he isn't a Premiership player sadly.

We have to move on to better options and be more ambitious.    

53 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

We have to move on to better options and be more ambitious.    

Move on to what? Most agree we need another striker to compete with Pukki and, given our limited budget, who would you offer up as a better option than Rhodes as a third striker?

That's it isn't.

3rd choice, we need to improve in the area and that means another player to challenge pukki with a great third option. As stated previously with potential injuries etc. Rhodes is a perfect 3rd choice.

Value, well we struggled in the past bringing in quality. Yet here we have a player who wants to join the club and probably understands the package.

If next season we go down, then if a striker is sold we will have rhodes. A good striker for the length of his contract.

I haven't a problem if the package doesn't work. But bringing in 2 strikers is very difficult. We have a striker that wants to be here, knows the set up and actually builds the ethos. If it doesn't work we will have options. But like klose we can seal a deal pretty quick and focus on other key signings

If he’s not good enough for Sheffield Wednesday then he’s not going to be good enough for us.

A lovely lad and a good influence last season, but we need players that are going to improve the squad. I think he’s past his best now unfortunately (and his best is the Championship anyway).

I have nothing against him signing for us , he's not a bad squad player to have... But we will need some upgrading to. I am not sure he's the striker to be Pukki's number one contender for the strikers role.He wants to play for us...and that's an important factor

He was a good option last season. 

The world has now moved on and we need to fish in a different pond.

Country R(h)o(a)des , go back home...to the place where you belong...West Yorkshire...mountain mama

Edited by ROBFLECK

41 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

If he’s not good enough for Sheffield Wednesday then he’s not going to be good enough for us.

No one has said that he's not good enough for Wednesday, they already have 6 strikers, he'd make 7 and probably the most expensive. Hooper's contract is over and unloading Rhodes would give Bruce a budget to strengthen. 

I think we have to be realistic here.

He is a striker who knows the club, will not upset the dressing room and someone who DF trusts. Yes, it is true he is not a Pukki, but another Pukki will not just sit on the bench for most of the season a be part of a greater team. 

JR at the right price, is a good opportunity to secure a good player for the next two seasons, given our spending power. The cost of a striker who would score the same amount of goals in the championship as he has done is out of our range, even now it seems.

Last season when needing a goal he was brought on and changed games for us, scoring and setting up others. Infact on one occasion the ref blew the whistle when I was convinced he was about to notch another one at the Barclay end.

Whilst it would be a concern to see him as our main striker if an injury occurred, I'm not sure DF sees that as the final piece in the striking department. I hope we secure him for a snip then speculate on another Bellamy or Maddison type player.

• Like 1