Sign in to follow this  
Crafty Canary

The cost of poor signings

2 hours ago, toftwood said:

Player transfers - You win some you lose some, you can never win them all.

Yeah but you can lose them all, just ask Ipswich.

• Haha 2

If all this is accurate then it is safe to say the players will not be getting it so in football terms the money is recycling back into the game.

23 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I remember when we signed Naismith it was universally heralded as a good signing on here. When it seemed to take forever to get over the line one of the boards biggest critics on here suggested we should change our wage structure to make it happen. The amount of hindsight being used now is of epic proportions.

Yes, at the time it seemed that I was one of few that was against getting Naismith. I did say that his inclusion would see us relegated - why because he's an average player who would not only cost us a player on the pitch but would see the likes of Hoolahan and Richmond being left out - leaving out good players for a poor one due to his price tag.

Why did so many want such an average player here ??  - it was obvious he wasn't any good - it was there for all to see - he actually played against us a number of times - DID NO-ONE NOTICE?

Richmond blew hot and cold but he did pair well with Kew Kamara.

Edited by kirku
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Six Pack said:

Yes, at the time it seemed that I was one of few that was against getting Naismith. I did say that his inclusion would see us relegated - why because he's an average player who would not only cost us a player on the pitch but would see the likes of Hoolahan and Richmond being left out - leaving out good players for a poor one due to his price tag.

Why did so many want such an average player here ??  - it was obvious he wasn't any good - it was there for all to see - he actually played against us a number of times - DID NO-ONE NOTICE?

To be fair Six Pack this post involved the most hindsight of all. Because most of your posts are critical of players we sign and the people who sign them. In fact it's not very long ago you were soothsaying that "Farke would fast become more hated than Rodent"

DID NO-ONE NOTICE? 🙃

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Six Pack said:

You also wanted Farke and Webber out, no more 2nd rate signings from the lower reaches of German and Spanish football and although I can’t find it I think you were telling us the negatives about Pukki ie his record at Celtic  - I noticed unless I got the wrong six pack.

3 hours ago, kirku said:

Richmond blew hot and cold but he did pair well with Kew Kamara.

And Trevor Putney

• Like 1

We think we’ve got it bad with Naismith and £1million quid, it could have been Alexis Sanchez! Now that’s what you call a serious waste of money!

Everything is relative of course. The cost to United of the Sanchez deal is immense compared to the Naismith deal. However the United wealth is also immense to ours. That's the dilemma facing clubs like ours - if large fees and wages are not matched by on- field performances the hit is bigger. On the other hand deals like that for Teemu are hugely cost effective.

I remember seeing Naismith clutch his hamstring in that Liverpool game. 

No one else wanted him. We didn't need another player like him, we were stuffed with attacking midfielders. 

Naismith, Jarvis and Wildscut could have half built a new stand. 

On 20/05/2019 at 12:56, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It was probably a clause that meant Norwich deferred as certain amount of money should they be relegated, to be paid should the club be promoted again. 

When put in that context, if correct, it sounds very shrewdly negotiated, regardless of the player he turned out to be.

5 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

To be fair Six Pack this post involved the most hindsight of all. Because most of your posts are critical of players we sign and the people who sign them. In fact it's not very long ago you were soothsaying that "Farke would fast become more hated than Rodent"

DID NO-ONE NOTICE? 🙃

Nutty I actually once said that "Stuart Webber could very well overtakeRodent to become the most hated Norwich Manager in our history if he dispensed with the services of Hoolahan, Pritchard & Maddison". If you leave most of the content out except the title. you change the context of the post. I have been critical of managers picking inferior players when better players are available. But I am seldom critical and comment on new players coming in unless I felt it was detrimental to our club. Mike Milligan was another such player.  At the time we were always top of the prem - that type of acquisition I knew we would soon be struggling. These are nice guys but I'm talking purely player quality.

Back to my original post. For the benefit of those supporters who cannot spot a good player from a poor one. To save confusion - how about we get the bad players to wear red hats!

5 hours ago, Well b back said:

You also wanted Farke and Webber out, no more 2nd rate signings from the lower reaches of German and Spanish football and although I can’t find it I think you were telling us the negatives about Pukki ie his record at Celtic  - I noticed unless I got the wrong six pack.

No you have the wrong poster! Negative about Pukki ? Before Pukki joined the club I've never even seen him play before ! Why would I criticize a player I haven't even seen play before??? Stereotyping against players from Germany & Spain! You kidding right - that's generally where all the most skillful footballers come from! What will you make up next ???

26 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Nutty I actually once said that "Stuart Webber could very well overtakeRodent to become the most hated Norwich Manager in our history if he dispensed with the services of Hoolahan, Pritchard & Maddison". If you leave most of the content out except the title. you change the context of the post. I have been critical of managers picking inferior players when better players are available. But I am seldom critical and comment on new players coming in unless I felt it was detrimental to our club. Mike Milligan was another such player.  At the time we were always top of the prem - that type of acquisition I knew we would soon be struggling. These are nice guys but I'm talking purely player quality.

Back to my original post. For the benefit of those supporters who cannot spot a good player from a poor one. To save confusion - how about we get the bad players to wear red hats!

Fair enough buddy. I remembered it as Farke. I guess I just associate you with having a good moan. I'm sure you were "over the moon" with Webber's replacements. Unlike our relegation season 94/95 when we sold Sutton, Robins and Ekoku and replaced them with the likes of Milligan and Sheron. Hardly Dixie's fault mind.

Mike Milligan was still strutting his stuff earlier this month in the Wes v Russ game. The silly ol beggar is 52 now🙃

Ha Ha ! Nutty - though some of us can't spot a bad player - we can certainly spot good ones!

You're right I do moan a bit - I blamed Chase mostly for what happened 94/95 season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

Everything is relative of course. The cost to United of the Sanchez deal is immense compared to the Naismith deal. However the United wealth is also immense to ours. That's the dilemma facing clubs like ours - if large fees and wages are not matched by on- field performances the hit is bigger. On the other hand deals like that for Teemu are hugely cost effective.

Jack Rodwell makes a good case study...