Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Penalties in the Prem

5 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

We might have a (small) chance of scoring more penalties next season (if little Norwich get awarded any of course) , with a new rule change

https://www.90min.com/posts/6371766-premier-league-six-confirmed-rule-changes-to-come-into-effect-in-2019-20?fbclid=IwAR1TNoRiQeadlLgz69j7M_RpvWUol7EHBlDBSrrWjIlSd4sHpqTdzCvJ3Nc

Seeing as we tend to side foot a daisy cutter  straight at the keeper I'm not sure it matters to us.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

I found the article, it was about Norwich which explains why it stuck in my mind (and why I was reading a Daily Mail article!)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2036381/Graham-Poll-Do-referees-favour-big-clubs-Yes-dont-know-theyre-doing-it.html

He refers to the fallout, but still maintains it is on a subconscious level.

I#d forgotten the start of that season under Lambert, we conceded 5 pens in our first 5 games !  And still stayed up comfortably.

As the article points out, some of those penalty decisions were just outrageous.  There was also an element of naivety in that we'd not been in the Prem a long time and didn't realise just how adept Prem strikers were then at going down under the slightest contact in the box.

8 hours ago, Woodman said:

With VAR as well, there may well be a lot more penalties.

And a lot more retakes too, encroachment, the new rules etc etc. VAR will hopefully be a bit of a leveller.

Apologies Wacko, i replied to Woodo's post, then saw yours. Great minds think alike but fools rarely disagree. I'm not sure where that puts us.

5 hours ago, East Rider said:

VAR will be a friend to Norwich next season in the main and the ONLY teams it will be seen to 'punish' will be the traditional top 6. 

5 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

I wish !!!

I am optimistic that VAR will help to reduce the bias in decisions, to a degree.  But we've already seen enough bizarre VAR decisions to know that it's not going to work solely against the big teams.

Just to clarify. My feeling is that next season instead of accepting VAR, the commentators out there will see it as a 'punishment' to the bigger teams when a decision goes against them initially. 

However, VAR will be more beneficial to us than not in my opinion, especially to help combat the obvious big team bias, which does exist, and to which we have fallen foul of many times.

I think the Big Clubs have more power than we're led to believe, if they thought VAR would be detrimental to them they would have delayed it even further. 

Don't think it will be detrimental to larger clubs to be honest. It will cut out the glaring errors, but we have been both victim and perpetrator in reasonably equal measure. It is the "dark arts" stuff that canny, skilful players can engage in that create grey areas, where VAR will side with the refs initial decision. For example, the Grealish penalty against WBA - was it a pen? Most seem to think not, but there was no retrospective action taken against Grealish and I very much doubt VAR would have overturned it. I don't think VAR will be a detriment to anyone, but it should cut down the grievous errors (like the pen awarded against us when we played Wigan).  

IMO errors by officials are more in favour of the bigger clubs than against them,  as confirmed by that Poll interview.  Basically it's easier for an official to give a decision towards the bigger club than against and human nature means people take the easier option more often that the difficult one.

VAR will cut out some of those errors so will reduce that bias to a degree.  It's not a perfect solution, nothing is, but it's a step in the right direction.

On 20/05/2019 at 12:42, PurpleCanary said:

If it was the same referee, and I think it was, he admitted it was much more than subconscious. He said particularly that when refereeing Man Utd and there was a potential penalty against them his first thought was how he would get roasted alive by Ferguson if he got it wrong, Of course the moment you think that, as opposed to thinking only of reds versus blues, you don't give it.

And this doesn't just apply to Man Utd. From memory last season against Arsenal in one of the cups, 2-1 down right at the end, Hoolahan was throttled to the ground. You could not imagine anything more blatant. The ref. gave a goal kick.

I was gonna say... The lack of penalties likely had something to do with the fact that the refs were scared shartless of Fergie!

I'm not so sure VAR will help the smaller teams at all. They have already announced that any player calling for VAR will get booked and it is up to the ref to decide whether to go to VAR or not. What is he more likely to go to VAR for? A possible Norwich penalty at Old Trafford or a possible MU penalty at Carrow Road. It'll be the same bias, just moved to the choice of whether to go to VAR or not rather than whether to give the penalty or not.

• Like 1