Sign in to follow this  
......and Smith must score.

Home, hosed and promoted with six games to go.

So after all the hand wringing and teeth gnashing wondering if Buendia's self-inflicted absence would cost us big time it turns out that we would have achieved promotion with the win over QPR not needing another point. Thanks to Leeds wonderful implosion, more spectacular than normal even for them, the 84 points we had at that stage would have seen us squeak into 2nd place.

Football, eh ?

• Like 2

But we didn't know that at the time and Norwich's points over and above 84 may have been part of Leed's change in mindset/performance.

ah yes, silly old City

them and their daft idea of wanting to be champions

as if anyone cared

even then they could have gone down to the beach as did most of the other championship clubs

rather than taking all those City fans on a wasted journey to Villa Park

I'm sure Buendia knows a good one nearby

13 minutes ago, Bill said:

ah yes, silly old City

them and their daft idea of wanting to be champions

as if anyone cared

even then they could have gone down to the beach as did most of the other championship clubs

rather than taking all those City fans on a wasted journey to Villa Park

I'm sure Buendia knows a good one nearby

It's all ' ifs' , ' buts ' and ' maybes '  and with the benefit of hindsight of course but the history books will say that promotion to the Premier League this season would have been achieved with a very low 84 points.

We were all speculating how many points historically we would need typically to be promoted and I think all of us thought it would be probably more than 84. This year we got ten more than we needed and won the title for good measure. All good.

Shame it's only par for the course that City 1st always has to twist things around.....

"twist things round " ?

by pointing out the idiocy of your OP

which now has you squeaking about hindsight !

and I very, very much doubt that the club or players saw the title as 'good measure' either

I think it was more the ludicrous suggestion by some that both Sheff Utd and Leeds would both get 90 points.

84 points would have been a low target to set because in most seasons it wouldn't be enough. 88 or 89 is almost always the realistic target and you would have to be very unlucky to achieve that and not get auto.

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

"twist things round " ?

by pointing out the idiocy of your OP

which now has you squeaking about hindsight !

and I very, very much doubt that the club or players saw the title as 'good measure' either

What idiocy ? All I did was point out that 84 points would have been enough to go up. As Daniel Farke said the title was the icing on the cake - ? good measure ? - which I'm sure all of us are glad we secured in the end.

Is it such a slow news day down in IP1 that you need to take your frustration out elsewhere ?

Nope, you were chastising those who expressed concern that we might not achieve promotion, never mind the title - as in

" after all the hand wringing and teeth gnashing wondering "

much as could have been said about our second goal at Villa

So were the 5000 there or those at home wrong to be going through various stages of 'heart failure' before the final whistle ?

now why not stop digging ?

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

So were the 5000 there or those at home wrong to be going through various stages of 'heart failure' before the final whistle ?

I can recommend behind the settee as a safe space for those with weak tickers.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Nope, you were chastising those who expressed concern that we might not achieve promotion, never mind the title - as in

" after all the hand wringing and teeth gnashing wondering "

much as could have been said about our second goal at Villa

now why not stop digging ?

Stop digging ? It’s like shooting fish in a barrel.

What are you on about ‘ chastising ‘ ? We were all sweating wondering if we would make it especially during that sequence of draws. I was the same. Doubts were creeping in and the atmosphere amongst the fans after that 2-2 at Stoke was very nervy. I’m not critisising anyone as we were all in the same boat.

By the way there were less than 3000 City fans at Villa. The 5000 was at Wigan. 

Still I’m sure you knew that anyway as you must have been there. But then maybe not as I seem to recall there’s been some debate on here as to whether you ever attend matches in which case it’s a bit rich seeing you have a go at someone who like many on here was at all those final six games.

I thought it was a good OP . I mentioned this to my mates a while  ago. If only we had known as we walked out of CR after The QPR game ( and Emi’s Red) we could have all relaxed . 

I love the idea that Leeds wouldn’t have lost to Wigan and Brentford if our results had been different .  

If anyone can be bothered to look back I said that we would gain promotion against Blackburn. And I didn’t start going until 1972. 

• Like 2

It was quite tough going through those draws and not quite making it over the line.  No-one knew what Leeds or Sheff Utd would do so it was edge of the seat stuff.  We did just enough to keep the momentum going, Mario's equaliser was sensational and huge in keeping us ahead of the game.

And yes, if we had faltered and lost one of those games, it could have given Leeds or Sheff Utd that extra boost to believe they could catch us up. 

Having said all that, the win against Blackburn was just the perfect way to get promotion a never to be forgotten match and celebration.

I was convinced that we were going up after Leeds away and never wavered from that belief, it wasn't that we were better than anyone else or that they were cr@p or anything like that. 

I've enjoyed 9 Promotions in my life and there's one constant, momentum, even when we were clocking up the draws at the end of the season, we were still accumulating points, it disheartens your rivals if you never lose.

Yes, I predicted 87 points as being enough, thanks to Leeds' implosion 84 would have been sufficient. 

Unlike Lakey and some others, I was never in the hand wringing and fretting brigade.

Stats suggested we would go up as Champions at around the 38 game mark. 

For me it was when we beat Boro away that I felt we were going to be promoted. Results were just falling for us. 

FWIW, I agree OP - it is "fun" looking back and considering that Emi's goal against QPR was the one that "effectively" promoted us. While I was convinced that we would go up, I still had nerves - that culminated in the 2-2 draw with Stoke. I think it was the vision of our lads prostrate on the turf of the 365. I guess they had put in a lot into that game and it must have felt like they were inches yet still a million miles away.

In fairness OP I think the problem was that some on here were suggesting at certain stages not only that Leeds and Sheffield Utd were going to win all their games, but we had bottled it and were not going to win another game.

Every promotion battle I've seen us go through has ended up with us going up. 2004 2010 2011 2015 and now 2019. If we're in a strong position by around February we always make it. How do we keep succeeding where other clubs fail?