Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Sunday Supplement

FLDC Love in.

For those that do not know, the Sunday Supplement is a programme on Sky where Journalists sit around a table (which has a plate full of croissants/fruit etc, that they never are seen eating, but that is not the main point of this thread....) and chew on the latest stories in football.

I haven't seen it for a while so I have no idea if they have previously been extolling the virtues of our fine team but what they have been discussing this morning is the play off final, and going on about FLDC and his powers of 'motivation' at half time vs Leeds (Some may have called it s*** or bust/tactical awareness or Leeds imploding but they decided to focus on motivation as being the turning point in the game  and that FL is destined for bigger jobs than Derby, because of that. I don't actually mind if they talk about FL, but to base it on motivation is lazy journalism imo. The fawning of FL will happen again and again if Derby go up of course. That I actually do not mind , as long as they give credit to better performing, inexperienced, managers, who have had less to work with (Oh well, in my dreams).

One of the journos said that the Leeds/Derby game  was high octane (No s*** sherlock) and high quality (?) and looked like a top half Premier League game! To call that game the other night a top half Prem game, means I have already checked my passport to make sure it is in date for season 2020/21 as I see a european adventure coming on. 

Edited by Crabbycanary3

Was watching the game with one of my few american friends that I can get some good football convo with. Asked him if Leeds/Norwich at their ground was "Premier league in the championship" what he would call this match.

His response was a simple, yet fitting, "the championship in the championship." Really was a poor game with some horrendous player-errors

There's no doubt that Mount and Wilson are quality and took full advantage of Leeds' frailties. Trouble is,  their quality is all on loan, Waghorn and Bradley Johnson aren't going to set the Premiership alight even if they do beat Villa. If they fail, will FL still be at Derby in August?

They would have a gargantuan task to stay up. 

They ended twenty points behind us and their best two players are loanees. If they couldn't loan them again, they'd be looking at spending 30-40 million just to maintain a squad that was twenty points worse than us. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

They ended twenty points behind us and their best two players are loanees. 

And yet, they took 4 points of us somehow!  I wouldn't mind either or both of Mount and Wilson here next season.

Villa look far too strong for them - or anyone else in the playoffs.  They'd have gone up automatically if the season was one month longer.  Derby v Leeds next season will be a great one to watch!

13 hours ago, splendidrush said:

If they fail, will FL still be at Derby in August?

Are you suggesting he'll go to a Premiership club?  Can't see a vacancy at the moment, Brighton want Potter from Swansea.  Unless someone goes early on in the season after a poor start & he gets that job?

Derby reaching the playoffs was essentially a par season for them in the context of their playing squad and budget. The amount they have spent in the past few seasons is staggering for a Championship club and on that basis, their minimum expectation should have been top 6.

That they scraped into it and then beat a team in very poor form to get to the playoff final seems to indicate that Frank Lampard is some sort of genius. Not at all; any manager with a squad that was that expensive to assemble and pay wages for should have automatic aspirations. They've spent between £10 million and £30 million every season for the past three or four.

What Lampard has done in the regular Championship season is hit a very ragged 72 on a par 72 golf course.

14 minutes ago, Woodman said:

Are you suggesting he'll go to a Premiership club?  Can't see a vacancy at the moment, Brighton want Potter from Swansea.  Unless someone goes early on in the season after a poor start & he gets that job?

Sky in Italy yesterday were reporting that Sarri is one of the two leading candidates for the Juve job because his departure from Chelsea is inevitable due to Chelsea wanting to take a punt on Lampard. No idea how much truth there is in that though.

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Sky in Italy yesterday were reporting that Sarri is one of the two leading candidates for the Juve job because his departure from Chelsea is inevitable due to Chelsea wanting to take a punt on Lampard. No idea how much truth there is in that though.

Wow - hadn't heard that - Sky would have to launch a new channel in his honour!  And just imagine if Terry were to join him...!

I saw the Sunday Supplement after our promotion - it was mainly focused on Sheffield United's promotion and the 'miraculous' job Wilder has done. I don't think the British media and ex-players like the foreigns coming in and doing well in management.

Derby reaching the playoffs was essentially a par season for them in the context of their playing squad and budget. The amount they have spent in the past few seasons is staggering for a Championship club and on that basis, their minimum expectation should have been top 6.

That they scraped into it and then beat a team in very poor form to get to the playoff final seems to indicate that Frank Lampard is some sort of genius. Not at all; any manager with a squad that was that expensive to assemble and pay wages for should have automatic aspirations. They've spent between £10 million and £30 million every season for the past three or four.

What Lampard has done in the regular Championship season is hit a very ragged 72 on a par 72 golf course.

Yes, they have spent a bit-£26 million in 15/16, £14 million in 16/17, £11 million in 17/18 and £11 million in 18/19-but they’ve made a profit in transfers for the last 2 seasons and only had a net spend of £1 million the year before-it was the 15/16 season that they went crazy.

But it was his first ever season, with a very young squad. I think he’s done well.