Since 1980

Stunning season - at a cost

Yes, 2018-2019 has been a stunning, completely unexpected season, but it's come at a cost. I've never really engaged with this side like I have with previous ones. Why? Well, too many non UK players in the side and in the Premier Leauge I can only see the numbers growing. For me there's no joy in watching a team full of foreign players play for an English team. I know our overseas lads are passionate about NCFC and I've grown to really enjoy seeing Pukki, Buendia, Vrancic, Hernandez, Stiepermann, Klose etc, which to a part is currently balanced to an extent by our brilliant home gown lads. We're told it's all about ££ yet Sheffield United have managed success with British players.

I think it shows what can be achieved when people form around the world, from different nationalities, races and religions, unite. Maybe I'm just a dreamer......

• Like 12

Don't understand this mentality at all. Maybe you should consider changing your username to "Still living in 1890". Sheff Utd also spent more money than we did for the record.

Were you also crying when Efan Ekoku was scoring goals in Europe for us?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Herman said:

I think it shows what can be achieved when people form around the world, from different nationalities, races and religions, unite. Maybe I'm just a dreamer......

But you’re not the only one 😀

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Since 1980 said:

For me there's no joy in watching a team full of foreign players play for an English team.

You're really not going to get any joy from next season, find another hobby.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I don't care if they come from Outer Mongolia as long as they perform in the 'yellow' and are behind the club.

I don't see the difference that puts favouring a player from Carlisle, for example, over a player from Germany.

Of course it's nice to have a few home-grown and even local players floating around the squad, but that's a different matter.

21 minutes ago, Since 1980 said:

Yes, 2018-2019 has been a stunning, completely unexpected season, but it's come at a cost. I've never really engaged with this side like I have with previous ones. Why? Well, too many non UK players in the side and in the Premier Leauge I can only see the numbers growing. For me there's no joy in watching a team full of foreign players play for an English team. I know our overseas lads are passionate about NCFC and I've grown to really enjoy seeing Pukki, Buendia, Vrancic, Hernandez, Stiepermann, Klose etc, which to a part is currently balanced to an extent by our brilliant home gown lads. We're told it's all about ££ yet Sheffield United have managed success with British players.

It would be wonderful to see a successful City team comprising only Norfolk born players. As this is not going to happen I can't see what difference it makes where outside of Norfolk our players hail from. Aarons, Lewis and Godfrey are not Norfolk born so why is it more acceptable to you for them to play for us as they are England born rather than Pukki, Krul, Vrancic and the others who have done us proud this season?

• Like 1

Yeah, and Man City won the treble with fewer English players than us too.  We're in the EPL, it is what it is!  Watch the Blunts lose their "englishness" over the summer, when the Bin Laden money takes over.

I think it has been interesting to see how many British players have let us down over the years.

I have never seen a team as close to fans as this team. So enjoy your wind up!! 

49 minutes ago, Since 1980 said:

UKIP Supporter

• Haha 3

All I can say is that I am sad for the OP. Social media in all forms a s well as what the Club have officially issued has been great this past 2 seasons, I know far more about this present squad than I did about the preceding one. And, what I have seen I have really enjoyed, they are many characters in the current bunch and I look forward to learning more.

If the OP is a wind up, it's a pretty poor attempt.

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Don't understand this mentality at all. Maybe you should consider changing your username to "Still living in 1890". Sheff Utd also spent more money than we did for the record.

Were you also crying when Efan Ekoku was scoring goals in Europe for us?

They didn’t. Their largest and only fee was £4m - Norwich spend that on Buendia and Rhodes. Norwich outspend Sheff U in fees and wages. 

As for the OP - grow up. 

1 hour ago, Since 1980 said:

For me there's no joy in watching a team full of foreign players play for an English team. I know our overseas lads are passionate about NCFC and I've grown to really enjoy seeing Pukki, Buendia, Vrancic, Hernandez, Stiepermann, Klose etc,

Slight contradiction in this sentence alone Mr 1980, and thanks for branding me moron, but I guess it's better than being a xenophobic moron.

5 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

They didn’t. Their largest and only fee was £4m - Norwich spend that on Buendia and Rhodes. Norwich outspend Sheff U in fees and wages. 

As for the OP - grow up. 

Fair enough - my mistake, it's pretty close though and they didn't have to sell their best players.

If your OP had said that your were concerned that in English football that not enough English/home grown lads are coming through, or are getting game time, or are being left behind, I think most would have agreed with you. As it is I agree with Daz and others in thinking it's a bit iffy.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

As for the OP - grow up. 

Buendia was 1.5 million quid. are you suggesting Rhodes on loan was 2.5 mill?

5 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Buendia was 1.5 million quid. are you suggesting Rhodes on loan was 2.5 mill?

That is what was quoted at the time. Apparently the last £500k was promotion bonus. Norwich paid his wages on top of that. The money Norwich got for Angus Gunn was used to pay for Rhodes. 

5 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

That is what was quoted at the time. Apparently the last £500k was promotion bonus. Norwich paid his wages on top of that. The money Norwich got for Angus Gunn was used to pay for Rhodes. 

But we sold 32 million pounds worth of player so isn’t our net spend a lot less given player sales and investment? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Since 1980 said:

Gareth Southgate must be on a wind up too and a UKIP supporter according to you lot. Shame on the lot of you morons.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/18/gareth-southgate-premier-league-english-players-warning

No joy in watching Buendia play? Really. Really!Really!! Thats the most moronic thing i've ever heard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

They sold their best player, David Brooks...

3 goals 5 assists isn’t quite the same as losing over 40% of your goals. We spent about 2 mill or so more despite selling Murphy and Madders for 25 mill more than they sold Brooks for.

An honest admission OP,  but there's little logic behind it:

We support Norwich, most of us because we live/lived nearby, a few exile fans because of family, and even fewer overseas fans because of seeing us on TV, etc.

If our allegiance is to 'Norwich City' and only us, then why draw the line at feeling disenfranchised with players from outside of the UK, Grant Holt was from Cumbria, heck, even Todd is from Dereham - an interloper!  Perhaps we should only have players who were born within NR1 postcode?

I'm being a tad facetious here, but I've noticed the lack of logic in supporting your "local football team" for a long time, and it's one of the few completely illogical things I'll let myself do without reprimand.

So, in short, it's all a load of rubbish, and nationalism is even more so -  taking pride because of someone else's achievements because they were born on the same lump of rock as you.

PS - not intended as an attack,  just a discussion.
PPS - Meant to add, am aware could be troll, in which case, I rate it 5/7 - perfect score.

Edited by Orly
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Indy said:

But we sold 32 million pounds worth of player so isn’t our net spend a lot less given player sales and investment? 

Quite - we spent little compared to most, and it is easy to cherry-pick transfers here and there vs Blades; but they spent more on 2 players in Egan and Norwood than we spent in the entire close-season.  Lumping our loan signing of Rhodes in doesn’t make too much sense - I don’t suppose the keeper cost them nothing, nor their other loans like a Hogan.  Ultimately both us and Sheff U showed that you don’t need to spend your way out of the division.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Nah, £3 million was bandied about but that included his wages (circa £2 million) . Plus a six-figure promotion bonus. 

So our summer outlay on Rhodes was about a million.

Add the fees for Marshall, Leitner and a six-figure sum for Passlack and you exceed their Egan outlay, but I doubt they didn't have to dig deep for Norwood in August (who they then paid over £2 million to make permanent for in January) and Dean Henderson would have had some sort of loan fee too. As wound Gary Madine in January. 

So no, Egan wasn't their only transfer fee and they did spend more on bringing players in than us, probably in August alone and certainly across the season.

How close do you have to live to be classed as home grown? A Scottish/Welsh/NI player? Northern England? East Anglia? Norfolk? Norwich? Carrow Road? None of it really means much, it’s just people who come from different places. Some people from Holland, Belgium, France live close to Norwich than people from Northern or South West England! Seeing the passion of the players playing in the yellow & green means far more than a place of birth. 

• Like 3