Yeah, I don’t think anybody is suggesting we’d win the treble next year 🙂 but we will find out how we stack up against the bottom half of the table - it could go well or we may be out of our depth. We know we have to defend better and the question is how - it it a question of our youngsters getting more experience through playing, or a aggressive DM, or a shift to three at the back? Farke’s problem, I’’m just looking forward to the early comments from the TV pundits that “hey these guys can play”! 

Edited by Surfer

I didn't watch the Final and I won't be hunting around for the highlights. What a complete waste of time, I, like others remember when Cup Final day was an event. 

Wall to wall coverage was the norm yet, as others have said, I didn't know the game was on until yesterday. Nobody wins from this, Watford, football,  the sponsors or the fans who couldn't get a ticket. 

Well done to the Corporates, you've taken our game and ruined it. 

• Like 1

One of the reasons it was an 'event' was that it was one of the very few, if not the only full game televised live.

Everybody watched it, the build up was perfected and the game it's self was well-presented.

As a youngster, I remember being so excited that I went outside just to kick a football against a wall  after watching one game. I wasn't the only kid in the street and an impromptu game resulted. It was that significant. 

Now televised games are commonplace. I prefer the now.

Not the only reason,of course, but a significant one.

7 hours ago, Surfer said:

Yeah, I don’t think anybody is suggesting we’d win the treble next year 🙂 but we will find out how we stack up against the bottom half of the table - it could go well or we may be out of our depth. We know we have to defend better and the question is how - it it a question of our youngsters getting more experience through playing, or a aggressive DM, or a shift to three at the back? Farke’s problem, I’’m just looking forward to the early comments from the TV pundits that “hey these guys can play”! 

I shudder now when I see the trio of Lineker/Shearer/Wright together. It is like watching a boring puppet show. Lineker with his tan getting ever more dark from all his holidays, Shearer with his monotonous voice and Wright with his ignorance of the players unless they are in the top six teams. 

I agree that there will be surprise if not incredulity when we start next season where we left off this one - always finding a way to get a result. We have been playing PL football most of the season anyway and the step up will not be as severe as some people think. 

Bring it on. 

"We have been playing PL football most of the season anyway ..... "

May be, may be not but we have been playing Championship sides all of the season and some pretty poor Championship sides at that. Both Rotherham and Wigan, for example, proved to be difficult opposition and both were down in the relegation area.

Extreme positivism by intent is fine but it need be reigned in by a large dose of realism before it becomes just fantasising.

13 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I don't go along with the hype about the PL or even the top six of the PL.  If we can reproduce the way we have played this season, we will cause every team in the league problems, including the top six.

LDC, there's positivity and there's derangement 😉.

If we get one win against the top six I'll be amazed. I just hope we get a reasonably kind start to the season fixture-wise as we're notoriously slow out of the blocks. A few hammerings won't do much for confidence levels.

Whatever happens our 14 match unbeaten run this term will be fondly remembered.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I shudder now when I see the trio of Lineker/Shearer/Wright together. It is like watching a boring puppet show. Lineker with his tan getting ever more dark from all his holidays, Shearer with his monotonous voice and Wright with his ignorance of the players unless they are in the top six teams. 

I agree that there will be surprise if not incredulity when we start next season where we left off this one - always finding a way to get a result. We have been playing PL football most of the season anyway and the step up will not be as severe as some people think. 

Bring it on. 

We’ve not been playing Premier League football against Premier League teams though.

I think Manchester City will pose a bigger threat than Rotherham 😂

Gordon Bennett 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, spencer 1970 said:

6 years ago today? We beat them 2-3 at their place... seems a lot longer eh? 

*Howsons goal/etc

I was at that game spencer, a classic dead rubber, last game of the season, we'd survived the week before by beating West Brom 4-0 and Man C couldn't improve on 2nd.

They lost the Cup final the week before to Wigan and it was Mancini's last game in charge. Interesting that we remember it so fondly,  but, trust me, if there had been anything riding on that game,  there's no way Howson would have been allowed to score that goal. 

On 18/05/2019 at 18:40, Bill said:

same here

and Arsenal and Chelsea have 12,000 tickets between them for their final in the back of beyond

despite protestations at the time that the allocations were too small, it seems like it was around 5000 too many. Even the corporate freebies don´t want to/can´t go all that way

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9123408/arsenal-chelsea-fans-shun-tickets-europa-league-uefa/

On 19/05/2019 at 11:26, Hoola Han Solo said:

We’ve not been playing Premier League football against Premier League teams though.

I think Manchester City will pose a bigger threat than Rotherham 😂

Gordon Bennett 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Of course they will, but it does not mean we can't compete with them.  We got promoted because w play a style of football that is geared to the top league. We will cause problems for every team next season.

29 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

despite protestations at the time that the allocations were too small, it seems like it was around 5000 too many. Even the corporate freebies don´t want to/can´t go all that way

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9123408/arsenal-chelsea-fans-shun-tickets-europa-league-uefa/

It is a nonsense to even consider a final in a stadium where the pitch is so far from the stands..... and so far from where any team likely to be in the final is based.

Of course they will not sell any more seats as that requires a visa into the country. The application of which expired some days back.

This was clearly politically, rather than simply financially, motivated.

They will need to round up quite a few locals with free tickets to save it from looking like poorman road the season before.