I think the modern interpretation would refer to someone competent at their craft but not reaching the heights.

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

I can only quote Wiki as I have neither the time nor the inclination to investigate the matter that you clearly have:

"On 15 May 2018, Jansson was named in Sweden's final 23 man squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup.] On 18 June, Jansson was named in the starting lineup ahead of Manchester United's Victor Lindelöf for Sweden's opening game of Group F in a 1-0 win against South Korea.] Sweden reached the World Cup Quarter-Finals of the tournament after beating Switzerland in the last 16, however England knocked out Sweden in a 2-0 win on 7 July 2018, the match also saw Jansson play in an unfamiliar striker's role, with Jansson brought on as a second half substitute to try score a goal with Sweden trailing at the time.

On 6 September 2018, Jansson was once again named Sweden captain in a 2-0 defeat against Austria."

"He has captained Swedish second-string teams in at least two friendlies but he is not and as far as I can see never has been captain of the team proper."

Factually incorrect then. Does that make both of us wrong or just me, as you seem at great pains to point out?

Is this "special talent" confined to just me?

Whilst I'm sure that purple doesn't need defending I would say that he has been factually quite correct in that statement. The two matches jansson captained were a friendly against Romania and a friendly against Austria, the average caps for the starting eleven in the match against Austria now stands at 14. In case you're interested, this is the cast if household names that started that match:

Screenshot_20190520-224844__01.jpg

8 hours ago, Felixfan said:

I think the modern interpretation would refer to someone competent at their craft but not reaching the heights.

You could become a journeyman poster Broadstairs, with a bit of practice.

Didn't realise Swansea's financial situation was so bad.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/swansea-city-tactic-annoy-man-16269894

"It will be a tactic Swansea supporters will encourage; the club are in a difficult financial situation at present, having filled half of their £60million black hole last summer with the sales of big-name stars such as Alfie Mawson, Federico Fernandez and Lukasz Fabianski.

But that came with side effects, with Graham Potter left with a threadbare squad for the first season back in the Championship. 

And there is still £30million to fill, according to COO Chris Pearlman, and chiefs will hope that increased competition for James will push his price tag higher than the rumoured £15million."

But it does highlight the other side of the "rich investor" argument, that whilst successful businessmen often take calculated risks, when things go wrong they look to minimize their losses first and foremost.

Swansea presumably gambled in staying in the Premier League, or were so used to staying up that they didn't have a decent relegation plan. Potter's gone, James will leave, and the only real asset left is McBurnie.

• Like 1

Billy Sharp has done his rounds with Yorkshire clubs. I suppose with Sheffield's promotion this season, Sharp has springboarded from being a Football terminology journeyman to an English dictionary journeyman.

14 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

I can only quote Wiki as I have neither the time nor the inclination to investigate the matter that you clearly have:

"On 15 May 2018, Jansson was named in Sweden's final 23 man squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup.] On 18 June, Jansson was named in the starting lineup ahead of Manchester United's Victor Lindelöf for Sweden's opening game of Group F in a 1-0 win against South Korea.] Sweden reached the World Cup Quarter-Finals of the tournament after beating Switzerland in the last 16, however England knocked out Sweden in a 2-0 win on 7 July 2018, the match also saw Jansson play in an unfamiliar striker's role, with Jansson brought on as a second half substitute to try score a goal with Sweden trailing at the time.

On 6 September 2018, Jansson was once again named Sweden captain in a 2-0 defeat against Austria."

"He has captained Swedish second-string teams in at least two friendlies but he is not and as far as I can see never has been captain of the team proper."

Factually incorrect then. Does that make both of us wrong or just me, as you seem at great pains to point out?

Is this "special talent" confined to just me?

Dear me, you really do, as I said yesterday, have a “disinclination to admit you’ve got something wrong” even when blatantly so. Falling back on the absurd excuse that you hadn’t investigated what you’d posted and it is somehow unfair of me to have done so..

You claimed Jansson is the current Sweden captain.  He is not, and never has been captain as far as competitive matches are concerned. He has only captalned the second string in a few (perhaps only two) friendlies, the latest back in 2018. Granqvist was and is the Swedish captain (as Wiki has it correctly, as it happens, if you had bothered to do even a little research).

You claimed Jansson captained Sweden in the World Cup. He did not. You claimed he had captained Sweden in Euro finals. He has never played for Sweden in a Euro finals match, let alone captained the team.  All three of the specific claims you made were false.

As for the “excuse” that you only consulted Wiki, perhaps you should have taken on board the sarcastic comment from a poster yesterday about the wisdom or otherwise of that:

“So now you need to quote Wiki as a standard for accuracy? Marvelous."

Oh, hold on. That poster was you.

• Like 2

You’d never guess it’s the close season...

It’s playing the man not the ball perhaps, but I’d stop digging Mr R.

3 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

Didn't realise Swansea's financial situation was so bad.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/swansea-city-tactic-annoy-man-16269894

"It will be a tactic Swansea supporters will encourage; the club are in a difficult financial situation at present, having filled half of their £60million black hole last summer with the sales of big-name stars such as Alfie Mawson, Federico Fernandez and Lukasz Fabianski.

But that came with side effects, with Graham Potter left with a threadbare squad for the first season back in the Championship. 

And there is still £30million to fill, according to COO Chris Pearlman, and chiefs will hope that increased competition for James will push his price tag higher than the rumoured £15million."

I thought Swansea were one of the top 3 teams that came to Carrow Road last year.  It took a wonderful piece of skill and terrific shot from Buendia to beat them and, if they'd had a better striker (McBurnie was ill/injured that night), I think they might have beaten us.

You have to wonder how much the "Big 6" would have to pay for one of our youngsters when Daniel James is going for 15m with only a year left on his deal.

He's a good player, but not the best young player I have seen visit Carrow Road this season. I will be surprised if he plays many games for Man Utd.

I thought Harvey Barnes, Che Adams and Jack Grealish were the standout young players I've seen at Carrow Road in similar positions.

Ignoring position and Carrow Road, Reece James really impressed me.

FInally, Jarrod Bowen and Harry Wilson probably had better seasons although neither really performed against us.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Dear me, you really do, as I said yesterday, have a “disinclination to admit you’ve got something wrong” even when blatantly so. Falling back on the absurd excuse that you hadn’t investigated what you’d posted and it is somehow unfair of me to have done so..

You claimed Jansson is the current Sweden captain.  He is not, and never has been captain as far as competitive matches are concerned. He has only captalned the second string in a few (perhaps only two) friendlies, the latest back in 2018. Granqvist was and is the Swedish captain (as Wiki has it correctly, as it happens, if you had bothered to do even a little research).

You claimed Jansson captained Sweden in the World Cup. He did not. You claimed he had captained Sweden in Euro finals. He has never played for Sweden in a Euro finals match, let alone captained the team.  All three of the specific claims you made were false.

As for the “excuse” that you only consulted Wiki, perhaps you should have taken on board the sarcastic comment from a poster yesterday about the wisdom or otherwise of that:

“So now you need to quote Wiki as a standard for accuracy? Marvelous."

Oh, hold on. That poster was you.

You sure got me and my sloppy research.I just wish that I had the time that you clearly have to be more thorough.

Must do better.

Happy now?

BTW. The word "journeyman" is derived from the French 'journee' meaning day in French and and indicates that they were paid by the day. Nothing to do with movement as you clearly stated.

Perhaps my Chambers dictionary and myself are not incorrect after all and perhaps your research has been amiss as well, and along with your personal and sneering insults,which I would never resort to.

Check it out. You seem to have the time.

Dear me.

Edited by BroadstairsR

........ so after all that is Leroy Fer a journeyman or not ......... or have I said enough. Shall I just keep quiet?

• Haha 1

On 21/05/2019 at 07:35, HertsCanary93 said:

I thought Harvey Barnes, Che Adams and Jack Grealish were the standout young players I've seen at Carrow Road in similar positions.

Ignoring position and Carrow Road, Reece James really impressed me.

FInally, Jarrod Bowen and Harry Wilson probably had better seasons although neither really performed against us.

Thanks. Yes I really liked the look of Che Adams and Reece James too. We could do a lot worse than adding them to our current squad. 

On 21/05/2019 at 14:48, HertsCanary93 said:

You have to wonder how much the "Big 6" would have to pay for one of our youngsters when Daniel James is going for 15m with only a year left on his deal.

He's a good player, but not the best young player I have seen visit Carrow Road this season. I will be surprised if he plays many games for Man Utd.

Swans sell to Man U and then they loan Dan James to us for the season...?? That would be a lovely outcome imo.

1 minute ago, BobLoz3 said:

Swans sell to Man U and then they loan Dan James to us for the season...?? That would be a lovely outcome imo.

There's actually an interesting rule that would prevent this...

"Premier League clubs cannot loan to another Premier League club a player they have acquired in the same transfer window."

if he goes out on loan, it will be back to Swansea unfortunately.

Just now, HertsCanary93 said:

There's actually an interesting rule that would prevent this...

"Premier League clubs cannot loan to another Premier League club a player they have acquired in the same transfer window."

if he goes out on loan, it will be back to Swansea unfortunately.

Balls... 😂

54 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yeah, come back on board West Coast! Your insight is valuable!

Until we actually sign someone there's no point in West Coast returning - there's nothing yet to be miserable about.

BTW who was the idiot who first used the word "Journeyman" on this thread? They've got a lot to answer for.

18 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Until we actually sign someone there's no point in West Coast returning - there's nothing yet to be miserable about.

BTW who was the idiot who first used the word "Journeyman" on this thread? They've got a lot to answer for.

Where did Westcoast get this reputation for being miserable from? He was far more bullish on Farke than most last season. His only crime is being too reliant on stats imo.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

Where did Westcoast get this reputation for being miserable from? He was far more bullish on Farke than most last season. His only crime is being too reliant on stats imo.

It's what Americans do they love sports stats. I think he left just because of the abuse of said stats in his posts. Shame he was a good poster.

Didn't west coast flounce after saying he would stop posting if be was wrong  (he was) about which end of carrow rd  Justin Fashanu scored the screamer v Liverpool?  Seemed a strange thing to leave over, maybe he was looking for a way out, we didn't stand in his way.

11 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Didn't west coast flounce after saying he would stop posting if be was wrong  (he was) about which end of carrow rd  Justin Fashanu scored the screamer v Liverpool?  Seemed a strange thing to leave over, maybe he was looking for a way out, we didn't stand in his way.

Ah yes I remember that thread. I think it was a classic internet thing of being unable to admit a mistake.

I disagreed with quite a lot of what he posted (he did post quite a bit of ****e about how no game under Farke was boring in his first season) but he was a good poster who wasn't afraid to back up his arguments.

• Like 1

I also had some 'long and meaningfuls' with westcoast, I found, more often than not that we disagreed, not in a bad way, just that we tended to look at things from a different perspective. 

Yes, he's a miss for the MB, I'm hoping that nothing unfortunate has happened and that he's back soon.