I see Swansea are releasing Leroy Fer. What a waste of talent this guy is. Has the ability to be a top player but never puts it together. Should be a premier league player in my opinion. 

Martin ollsson also released. 

Yeah think Bony had a few injuries and fitness issues. Last few times a saw him play he looked like he struggled to move.  

Saw Martin Olsson released too. If he's ok after injury, might be worth considering as a shirt term back up lb, and a mentor..tho probably past it now and would want too much wages.

1 hour ago, glory.win or die. said:

Saw Martin Olsson released too. If he's ok after injury, might be worth considering as a shirt term back up lb, and a mentor..tho probably past it now and would want too much wages.

If he was a right back, I'd agree as a cheap back up to Max, but we have Lewis and Heisse for left back, so not for me.

Now Potter reportedly leaving to go to Brighton, I don’t think the fans will be happy!

12 minutes ago, Rivvo said:

Now Potter reportedly leaving to go to Brighton, I don’t think the fans will be happy!

Fans have been furious for a while. Swansea have sold a lot of players and brought very little in. They almost loaned Dan James to Leeds in January - a crazy idea. 

Potter worked magic with the academy players he brought into the first team and if he’d been given the chance to strengthen this summer they could have gone for play-offs. The rate they are going they are more likely to be fighting to avoid relegation. A real sad state of affairs. 

Shame really, I thought Potter was doing a good job at the Liberty, maybe he knew that he wasn't going to get the backing he needed to get Swansea up.

Take some of the academy players? What about Bony, there was a decent striker in there once upon a time ... a better backup to Pukki than Rhodes? 

On 18/05/2019 at 11:13, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Leroy Fer exemplifies the saying that: "hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

When Fer joined us he was a good player. An attacking midfielder who loved to break into the opposition box. Playing under Hughton the opportunities to break into the opposition box were limited because with the inverted winger style Hughton loves closes the space for midfield players to break into. As a result most of Fer's better points were negated and he became an average midfield player, being forced to play more in his own half. He was a good player spoiled and wasted by us.

3 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

When Fer joined us he was a good player. An attacking midfielder who loved to break into the opposition box. Playing under Hughton the opportunities to break into the opposition box were limited because with the inverted winger style Hughton loves closes the space for midfield players to break into. As a result most of Fer's better points were negated and he became an average midfield player, being forced to play more in his own half. He was a good player spoiled and wasted by us.

Fair enough, but that doesn't explain why he has become a bit of a Journeyman since he left.

11 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

Hardly a journeyman. From us to QPR to Swansea.in five years.

Sorry to be a pedantic know all Mr. Wal, but, despite what it sounds like the term "journeyman" has got nothing to do with movement, but more a term from the Middle Ages connected with guilds and apprenticeships.

Wiki:-

"A journeyman is a skilled worker who has successfully completed an official apprenticeship qualification in a building trade or craft. Journeymen are considered competent and authorized to work in that field as a fully qualified employee. They earn their license by education, supervised experience and examination.[1] Although journeymen have completed a trade certificate and are allowed to work as employees, they may not yet work as self-employed master craftsmen."

I suppose the question is therefore whether Leroy Fer is a competent or a master craftsman?

Edited by BroadstairsR

28 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Yes, that's exactly the context in which journeyman is used in football circles.

What do you mean exactly?

In football circles it is generally used to describe a player who has moved around a lot from club to club, which is not using the term correctly.

No, it's not. That's because it's football. There are countless examples where terms are not used correctly or intended to be interpreted literally.

We call Ipswich s(um, we don't actually think they are a layer of dirt or froth at the top of a liquid.

We called Simon Lappin the King of Spain, I don't think anyone really thought he was an Iberian monarch.

We sing On the Ball City, we don't really want the boys to die if they don't win.

Yellow Wal used the term journeyman correct in the context. It's a little harsh to call Leroy Fer a journeyman, in footballing terms, when he is only on his third club in 5 years.

By your literal standards, you couldn't even call Marcus Bent a journeyman striker, but everyone in the game knows that's exactly what he was.

I think it's more that Fer has failed to establish himself anywhere as his potential suggested he might.

Compare him to Gini Wjinaldum, who came to a mid-range Prem club from Holland at around the same time. One is approaching his second Champions League final in 2 years, and one just got released by Swansea; while I don't think HughtonBall helped him massively, there's a reason he didn't kick on.

Edited by Mason 47
Autocorrect

25 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

No, it's not. That's because it's football. There are countless examples where terms are not used correctly or intended to be interpreted literally.

We call Ipswich s(um, we don't actually think they are a layer of dirt or froth at the top of a liquid.

We called Simon Lappin the King of Spain, I don't think anyone really thought he was an Iberian monarch.

We sing On the Ball City, we don't really want the boys to die if they don't win.

Yellow Wal used the term journeyman correct in the context. It's a little harsh to call Leroy Fer a journeyman, in footballing terms, when he is only on his third club in 5 years.

By your literal standards, you couldn't even call Marcus Bent a journeyman striker, but everyone in the game knows that's exactly what he was.

I give up.

My initial posting on the topic was meant to be slightly light-hearted and your endevours to contradict this indicate to me that not only did you fail to realise this fact but that you also seem to fail to comprehend the basic tenets of the English language.

You seem to think that football has a language of it's own. Perhaps it does, but this does not make it semantically correct in the slightest.

Neither are the weak examples you give in order to contradict at all relevant. 

"Journeyman" has just one meaning in every English Language dictionary I have consulted. Perhaps it means something entirely different in the 'Dictionary of Football,' but this does not mean that it is being used in the right context.

Edited by BroadstairsR

26 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

1p5wich aren't at the top of anything, haven't been for quite some considerable time. 

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Sorry to be a pedantic know all Mr. Wal, but, despite what it sounds like the term "journeyman" has got nothing to do with movement, but more a term from the Middle Ages connected with guilds and apprenticeships.

Wiki:-

"A journeyman is a skilled worker who has successfully completed an official apprenticeship qualification in a building trade or craft. Journeymen are considered competent and authorized to work in that field as a fully qualified employee. They earn their license by education, supervised experience and examination.[1] Although journeymen have completed a trade certificate and are allowed to work as employees, they may not yet work as self-employed master craftsmen."

I suppose the question is therefore whether Leroy Fer is a competent or a master craftsman?

Yes, but the point is that precisely because a journeyman was not a master craftsman and so did not have a studio or workplace of their own they had to travel to find and carry put their work.  Whereas the master craftsman generally had the work come to him.

So a journeyman is both below the level of a master craftsman and someone who has to move around a great deal for work. In football, generally, the term is applied to a not-so-talented and/or lower-league player who does move from club to club because they are not valued enough to settle in one place. And that is perfectly in line with the original meaning. I would not call Fer a journeyman.

Yes, Purple I am aware of that.

We seem to be getting deep here and you are correct, but the term is by precise dictionary definition related only to the level of qualification involved and nothing else and not derived from the the need of the workman to move around to find employment. Most didn't in any case and were assigned permanently to one employer.

Neither can there be many modern day footballers who have to constantly move from club to club to play, and I wouldn't label any that do journeymen in any case.

I am more fascinated by the inference that the term is correct because 'football has a language of it's own.'

Edited by BroadstairsR