CANARYKING

Another gem from Paul Lambert

Paul Lambert says success at Portman Road goes beyond getting out of League One at the first time of asking.

Blues will be one of the favourites to win promotion back to the Championship when the season gets underway at the start of August and while the Town boss recognises the expectations he is also looking long term.

"Our first target is to get back to the Championship,” Paul told the Club website.

“It’s going to be tough. There are some big clubs in the division and when you look at the budget Sunderland have got. We will be nowhere near that.

“That’s the challenge for us but success for me also means about the long term, putting an infrastructure in place for the next six years, not six weeks or six months.

“We have to rebuild from top to bottom, on and off the pitch.
The standards have dropped for a club of this stature and with the history behind it.

“It’s a big job, a huge job to turn things around. It’s a challenge we will take on though."

That's it Paul, remind them of their history lest they forget.....

The comments added beneath that stereotypical tripe illustrate that they are still under Lambert's spell though.

Lambo might not be the brightest star in the dressing room but he has worked out that he only needs to drop the word "history" into any motivational bull shine and he will have the bin faithful believing his every word, and he's also aware that he might well be in need of an excuse or two by mentioning the strength of other clubs in the "division," especially money bags Sunderland.

Edited by BroadstairsR

"Our first target is to get back to the Championship,” Paul told the Club website."

His first target should be to win more than 5 games and avoid relegation. 🤭😂

Apples

• Haha 2

All Lambert's little speeches, which he likes delivering on a regular basis, are so predictable in as much as he spouts the obvious, with his mind seemingly unable to come up with anything remotely original. 

It doesn't really matter because it's only football and the binners eagerly lap it all up in any case.

Hardly inspirational stuff though.

They say Churchill "rolled his own," but clearly Lambert is no Churchill and the ensuing  L.1. battle is hardly a World War, but may be PL should take a leaf out of Winnie's book:

"We will fight them on the touchlines," being an appropriate place to start it would seem. Or recalling the last ditch win against a demoralised Leeds side as being the club's "finest hour."

The home draw on derby day: "Never on the field of footballing combat has so much been owed by so many to so few."

To a man they would surely swoon in awe down in deepest Suffolk when listening to that.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

I like the way he suggests that there's some kind of long term plan in all this. Angling for an extension to your contract Paul? I can see it, even if they can't. 

I think he's after a statue outside Carrow Road. Take us from League One to Premiership Survival, get them back to back relegations. If that doesn't deserve a statue, what does.

24 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

I like the way he suggests that there's some kind of long term plan in all this. Angling for an extension to your contract Paul? I can see it, even if they can't. 

I do think that he has the intention of rebuilding the club, as far as he is able to.

What his comment suggests to me is that he is trying to point out to the farmhands just what a sorry state their grubby little club is in

and with that in mind any noticeable improvement is going to take far longer than they seem to be currently imagining

Realistically they should be challenging for top six. We forget how poor that league is and they do have some quite good young players who will be given a chance to play regularly. All depends if Norwood or whoever else they sign can sort their goal scoring issues as we basically just outscored everyone we played at that level. Sunderland should have gone up this season but made a right hash of the second half of the season and from what I saw of them on TV they weren't a great side. 

The sc*m had a strange season really in that their performances often were not that bad, especially under Lambert. By the end of the season they were playing some quite decent stuff in patches they just had absolutely zero goal threat and lack of belief if they conceded first. I could see him getting them going again at league 1 level if they get some early wins under their belt but it certainly won't be a walk in the park for them as some of them seem to think. 

It's going to be interesting to see how they do next season.  On one level I would like to see Lambert get his career on track, but I just don't think it will happen as he doesn't seem the person he was at Norwich.  But he is back at a level where he made his name and given time, he might get his team competitive as he did with Colchester.  

Could he do a Norwich with the binners? I doubt it very much...to start with he doesn't have the raw material.  Holt was absolutely key to our success and PL will need to find a talisman on the pitch such as he to get promoted. 

So imo at best he will get them competitive, like he did with Colchester, but to succeed like he did with us looks unlikely. At that time he had a good team with him in Culverhouse and Karsa and he was young and full of enthusiasm. At the moment he looks a shadow of the person we knew, which is why I feel a little bit like I would like to see him succeed - I don't like seeing people on downers. My impression is that his desire for success like he had with us is still there, but each season since he left Norwich he has tried to get that positive feeling back, he has got further and further away from it. 

He's full of tub-thumping bluster but devoid of tactical nous and coaching ability - a spent force, relying on past glories for which he was a participating factor of a larger movement for which he cannot take sole credit.

He is Ipswich and Ipswich is him.

Reminds of me of Nietzsche "when you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares into you"

• Like 1

Lambert is right. However he also seems to be making a case for the fans to give him time. As other posters note, it is a tough challenge to bounce straight back. Other sides will desperately want to beat the former Championship club. I’d guess that he has he has a 50/50 chance of making it back up at best and presumably the club has had several months to plan next season given that they were so far away from safety for the last few months of last season. He’s a decent manager and for their league they are a reasonable sized club. He’ll need a decent start though. Otherwise the fans will want him out.

Lambert has picked all of the low hanging fruit. He has blamed his predecessor, told the fans how great they are, reminded the fans how great he is , and blamed his predecessors some more.

PL points out how far the club has fallen (in a time far far away that had nothing to do with him) and as a result of falling so far, how hard it will be to get the club back up.

Even the most blinkered Binner will lose patience if Lambert doesn't make a good start. I assume Evans will back him in signing Norwood and in so doing will take away any last vestige of excuse Lambert has.

Lambert has just pushed open the door of Last Chance Saloon. Lets hope it slams shut behind him and we never see his chubby alcohol fuelled ruddy faced nonsense again.

17 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Lambert has picked all of the low hanging fruit. He has blamed his predecessor, told the fans how great they are, reminded the fans how great he is , and blamed his predecessors some more.

PL points out how far the club has fallen (in a time far far away that had nothing to do with him) and as a result of falling so far, how hard it will be to get the club back up.

Even the most blinkered Binner will lose patience if Lambert doesn't make a good start. I assume Evans will back him in signing Norwood and in so doing will take away any last vestige of excuse Lambert has.

Lambert has just pushed open the door of Last Chance Saloon. Lets hope it slams shut behind him and we never see his chubby alcohol fuelled ruddy faced nonsense again.

You don’t like him then 

Just finished reading Grant Holt's autobiography

..after the way Holt describes in his book how Lambert was fired up when he took Norwich to Colchester and the way he reacted to the stick he got from their fans for leaving them for us.....it is little surprise that he got sent off when he came here with ipswich

Reading their message board, you'd think that, given their history, there would be some intelligence about their prospects. 

It's all about their history (again) or we're a big Club at this level, Norwood and others will jump at the chance to join us, we've got a bunch of talented youngsters ready to storm the League, etc etc etc.

Truth is they're a shambles, Chambers is still the rock at the back,Skuse is still the go to in defensive midfield, they've got little or no money to strengthen, they've won a handful of games in a year. 

You know, they could go up but I'll be very surprised. 

They could go up at the first attempt as many relegated clubs have in the recent past. It is probably an easier ask than Premier league survival for a newly promoted Championship side.

Neither is it beyond the bounds of possibility that both clubs meet in the same division again the season after the next.

However whereas they can then expect a return to mid-table mediocrity at best and a struggle with relegation again at worst, NCFC, newly enhanced with a squad of PL experienced players and bankrolled by a season at the top-table and parachute payments can expect to be challenging once again at the top end of the table.

The last season was not "just for Christmas" as they say and the on-going benefits to be gleaned from our success as opposed to their own version of a complete disaster will effect the fortunes for both clubs for some time to come. That famous gap will need some considerable time if it is ever to be breached.

There seems to be the usual deluded element among the binmen that PL can do a repeat of his Carrow Road days and be the figurehead in a club renaissance back to the big time. Conveniently ignoring their manger's subsequent lack of any real success since leaving our club they seem blind to the fact that he had far more going for him at City than he will ever have at Portman Road, and I am not just talking about the Culverhouse/Holt/Hoolahan talents that were behind him. Average attendance of nearly 25, 000 after quite a few seasons in the doldrums as opposed to just the 12, 000 season ticket sales achieved by that debt laden, transfer money bereft club speaks volumes when considering the future prospects of the respective clubs when dealing with the trials of a season in League One.

Whatever happens next season the dominance of this particular rivalry is set in NCFC's favour for some considerable time to come, and may be for evermore such is their perilous situation.

• Like 1

It was put to me that Lambert is a motivator but not a tactician. In fact it was suggested that any tactical nous he has/ had is largely as a result of his admiration of Martin O'Neill and the implication was that O'Neill is a bit of a dinosaur tactically now, and Lambert is too. 

Lambert isn't a great student of the game - doesn't update himself on current thinking and badges etc, and is heavily reliant on those around him.This seems to make sense - Culverhouse gets a lot of credit for our success.  Lambert plays the "get your medals out" card regularly with dissenters and disciples alike.

I think they are throwing a lot of eggs into the Norwood basket. He is the Holt in Lambert's template. A dressing room figure to lead on the pitch. I'm not quite sure why there isn't more interest in Norwood - I haven't followed him at all but his stats look OK . 

16 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I think they are throwing a lot of eggs into the Norwood basket. He is the Holt in Lambert's template. A dressing room figure to lead on the pitch. I'm not quite sure why there isn't more interest in Norwood - I haven't followed him at all but his stats look OK . 

His age is against him, added to the fact that he hasn't played above League 2, he's not and won't be in Holt's class. 

He won't have the players around him to provide the chances that he's used to getting in the lower Leagues, in a strange way, I kind of feel sorry for him, that so much is expected of him .

He's being set up to fail and when he does they'll blame him for it.