CANARYKING

Another gem from Paul Lambert

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

“ we’ ll have to rise to the challenge of being promotion favourites “”

I just nipped over to TWTD to see the source for this CK but as soon as I opened the site, two of the most recently-started threads stood out.

Never mind next season, this lot will never move on will they?

image.png.32b7f6732133a8763452519f35208d67.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Of the three sides relegated last year from the Championship Barnsley finished 2nd, Sunderland 5th and Burton 9th.

Of the four teams promoted from League Two, Luton finished 1st and Coventry 8th.

He's pretty deluded if he thinks they're currently anything other than a bang average League One team.

1 hour ago, Icecream Snow said:

Of the three sides relegated last year from the Championship Barnsley finished 2nd, Sunderland 5th and Burton 9th.

Of the four teams promoted from League Two, Luton finished 1st and Coventry 8th.

He's pretty deluded if he thinks they're currently anything other than a bang average League One team.

I agree-although SkyBet must also be deluded, as they have Ipswich as favourites for promotion-although this doesn't include the teams who are still in the League One playoffs.

It certainly won't be easy for them. Rotherham are a League One hardened team and you'd back them to be top 6 at least next season. Coventry seem to be improving, although will need to resolve where on earth they are going to play their home games. Burton know how to get out of that League and the Portsmouth, plus two out of Charlton, Doncaster and Sunderland are going to be aiming for the top two places. And I wouldn't discount Lincoln doing a Luton and continuing their meteoric rise.

I would grudgingly admit that they may be in and around the hunt for the playoffs, especially if it's true that they have landed Tranmere forward Norwood, but I would be very surprised if they finish the season in the automatic places.

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

I would grudgingly admit that they may be in and around the hunt for the playoffs, especially if it's true that they have landed Tranmere forward Norwood, but I would be very surprised if they finish the season in the automatic places.

I doubt Norwood will decide his future quickly, especially not before his League 2 Playoff final at Wembley next Saturday. But if Ipswich did get him, I'd definitely see them getting top 6.

As Kieran Scott said, strikers are the players most in demand, and the last to sign.

Aren’t they looking to lose a good portion of their team due to out of contract players and loanees returning to their parent clubs?

If this is the case, then I’m not sure anyone has a clear idea of where they’ll finish the season, since they don’t know what players they’ll have at their disposal.

Am I missing something? -Probably, but let’s keep the replies on point...;)

Edited by CirclePoint
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CirclePoint said:

Aren’t they looking to lose a good portion of their team due to out of contract players and loanees returning to their parent clubs?

If this is the case, then I’m not sure anyone has a clear idea of where they’ll finish the season, since they don’t know what players they’ll have at their disposal.

Am I missing something? -Probably, but let’s keep the replies on point...;)

Beat me to it CP, no one knows what business will be done over the summer, so impossible to predict. 

1p5wich will be one of the favorites because there will be money put on them to go straight back up, as one of the bigger Clubs at that level. 

Trouble is, 1p5wich weren't just relegated, they were woeful, Lambert can do all the PR he wants, the results on the pitch are all that counts. 

8 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I agree-although SkyBet must also be deluded, as they have Ipswich as favourites for promotion-although this doesn't include the teams who are still in the League One playoffs.

I'd argue its more a move to attract lazy gamblers. Easy to blindly pick relegated teams for promotion if the odds say theyre favorites

Nothing more than a cheap marketing ploy to attract a few thousand more gullible souls down there to part with some money. 

If it isn't the lure of expansive forward thinking football promised to them leveraging a few more season tickets out at rock bottom prices, its the polished turd of their team being used as a get rich quick scheme for others via a few dodgy betting companies.

Any way they should be champions and nothing less next year. After all, 60 years ago they won the league. That should be enough to secure it surely?

Edited by East Rider

Thing is, we weren't among the favourites this season. I think Lambert is probably right that the bookmakers will have them as a top six finisher before any business is done. Barnsley and Rotherham's recent yo-yo will make the bookies assume one team will do well and it won't be Bolton.

I read in the EADT that Lambert has said pre season results aren’t important. Makes you wonder when they might be.

sounds like he’s got a free pass to October at least before the hobbledehoys started suspecting he just may not be the messiah giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5cdfe34162312e5051

16 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Trouble is, 1p5wich weren't just relegated, they were woeful, Lambert can do all the PR he wants, the results on the pitch are all that counts. 

What are you talking about? They beat Leeds.  Err.. ok, maybe forget that one, looks like just about anyone can.

• Haha 1

I read somewhere Lambert saying just because they were relegated it was no good clubs thinking they could sign his players for next to nothing. Obviously he had forgotten several are out of contract and most of the rest are loan players.

• Like 1

All just noise and distraction - who cares if the bookies have you as a favorite?

Team, tactics, drive, support. These are the ingredients for success and I doubt L1pswich have those aligned, but if they do get them aligned, yes they could do very well. That said, teams like Rotherham, Burton, Peterborough are already there, and teams like Sunderland,  Portsmouth, Doncaster are unlikely to regress from their relative success this year either. So we'll just have to see what happens. 

Edited by Surfer

Maybe Culverhouse is coming back to join him ? His comments would make more sense then..

who knows 2 years time there could be an Ip5w1ch Kings Lynn Derby.

On 19/05/2019 at 06:35, TIL 1010 said:

I read somewhere Lambert saying just because they were relegated it was no good clubs thinking they could sign his players for next to nothing. Obviously he had forgotten several are out of contract and most of the rest are loan players.

....and most of his players are worth next to nothing. 

• Like 1

On 18/05/2019 at 19:35, TIL 1010 said:

They have just announced the release of 10 players and loanees have returned to their clubs, don’t think you have anyone to sell Mr Lambert so I guess your comments are technically correct.

The Phrase ‘ WILL THE LAST ONE OUT SWITCH THE LIGHTS OUT PLEASE ‘ springs to mind

• Like 1

On 18/05/2019 at 19:35, TIL 1010 said:

There are barely any worth signing

• Like 1

The retained list:

Keepers: Bialkowski, Wright

Right-backs: Donacien, Emmanuel, Cotter

Centre-backs: Chambers, Nsiala, Woolfenden, Ndaba

Left-backs: Kenlock, Webber, Clements

Wingers: Edwards, Lankester, Rowe, Roberts

Centre-midfielders: Skuse, Judge, Nolan, Bishop, Dozzell, Downes, Huws, Nydam, El Mizouni, McGavin, Dobra

Strikers: Sears, Harrison, Jackson, Morris, Folami, Drinan, Brown

Not a great deal left for anyone to pick over, is there?!  I imagine they’ll find it harder to get decent loans being in L1, it could be a bit of an eye opener for their supporters.  I still recall an interview of Lambert’s before our derby match.  He said: 

“When Norwich were in League One they had Championship players. That’s the difference. You could go through them all – Holt, Hoolahan, Daryl Russell, Chrisy Martin, Fraser Forster, Russell Martin.  They were top players who all knew they were better players than League One.

All they had to do was gel together, get a wee bit of momentum and get out the league.”

IMO he got that pretty much right - the problem for the binners is that there isn’t that quality there in those bare bones...

• Like 1

Decent sized squad at 34 ... but I read somewhere (!) it includes a load of proper young’uns who they’ll need for their u23 games

Will be interesting to watch how it all unfolds, whatever happens 

I'm not sure Bialkowski will be there next season, he's saying all the right things to keep the fans happy but if a Championship Club show interest he'll be gone. 1p5wich can't afford his wages and he still thinks he's got a future with the Polish National Squad but not in League One. 

On 17/05/2019 at 12:34, CANARYKING said:

“ we’ ll have to rise to the challenge of being promotion favourites “”

Pressure is off Paul.

Sunderland now 4/1 favourites to win the league.

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

Portsmouth have to be 2nd favourites with, hopefully, Donny making the 3rd spot. 

On 20/05/2019 at 16:10, Hoola Han Solo said:

Anyone know when the Paul Lambert statue is being put up outside the Carra? 😉 

We put it up already, then it sodded off to the Midlands because it didn't get the Liverpool statue job.

L1 top three next year  - Rotherham, Sunderland, Portsmouth. L1pswich might scape into 5th.