Sign in to follow this  
Huddy

Why is everyone resigned to Ashton leaving

Fact : Ashton is under Cotract

Fact : We wont accept a bid of less than 8 million because we have apparently rejected 6.7 million

Fact: Ashton hasn''t and wont ask too leave.

Ashton wants to play in the premiership like anyone but should now realise thyat he can do that again with norwich. We simply shouldn''t accept any bid for him untill the summer. Ashton wont mind staying untill then and hopefully if he continues scoring he wont leave because we will be in the premiership. To me it just seems stupid to sell him in january. There wont be many good players available, new people would have to settle in - we wont benefit from selling him now

Anyway, how many clubs would want him.

Top prem sides, man u, arsenal, liverpool, newcastle, spurs, chelsea wont want him because either he isn''t better than what they have or they have spent their budget for rhe year. Villa, charlton are ruled out bolton,blackburn, wigan cant afford him, boro have 9 mllion strikers. He isnt going to go to a struggling side who could come down(who also couldnt afford him) like everton,Pompey, wba, west ham (doubtful), sunderland, birmingham. And he would be stupid too move abroad. So where could he go?

Fulham - iwouldnt of thoughts so. Man City - in big financial probs so unrealistic.

I''d like a summer decision - he hasn''t been here a year yet!If he keeps scoring like today, there''s the chance of getting to the Prem via the playoffs, so he could stay here another season at least.But if we fail in the play-offs (after reaching them, that is) he will have shown that his "off" games have been a blip and he hasn''t lost any of his talent -- meaning he''ll could get a better deal come the summer than he could in January.(This probably only applies if we keep winning from now on!)

Surely it would be better served on Ashton''s part to stay at least till the summer, for the reasons as follows:

• He''ll play regularly for us and, if we go up, can play in the Premiership with Norwich,
  • If he stays and is able to score regularly but we don''t go up, he''ll have a wider and better choice of clubs knocking on the door for his signature, ie, the upper echelons of the Premiership, due to having scored goals regularly and playing well.

If he moves now:

• He could end up going to a club fighting against relegation who are looking for a quick fix (and possibly end up being relegated again)
  • He''ll move in January to a new club, with new surroundings, colleagues and supporters at a time when the other players have already had a chance to gel, where the supporters are starting to expect teams to push on into the second half of the season,

At Norwich, Ashton is pretty much one of the ''Top Dogs'', highly regarded by the management, supporters and colleagues - elsewhere and he could end up being a squad player with a less flattering billing amongst other stars.

In my honest opinion, my inkling is that he''ll stay - either because we price clubs out of making a move for him, or because he wants to stay and score goals for the Club. I don''t see him doing a Pierre van Hooijdonk and going on strike to engineer a move away, I think he''s too self-respecting and sensible to create trouble for himself.

January is definately one month that cannot end soon enough for me (and it''s not even started yet) so as the deafening slam of the transfer window will signify hopefully the successful retention of one of City''s finer strikers of recent times. *fingers crossed in hope*

Well, I am desperately hoping he stays but I don''t agree with your list at all. Villa and Charlton are not ruled out, just because their managers say so now - that sounds exactly like the transfer market tactics of a certain NCFC. Wigan definitely can afford him if they wanted him as can Fulham, Everton and Man City. And can we dismiss Arsenal entirely, Wenger is known to have been an admirer and many observers have long said that there are times when Arsenal need to change tactics and go with a bigger man up front.

Key for me is if we can get on a roll in the next couple or three games, win them all and the "feel-good" factor will be back making us much more attractive and to Ashton and the club more inclined to keep him if they think we can push on for a play-off place. I said on a different thread that if we sell anybody I would prefer it to be Rob Green, if we can get £2m for him and add the £2m that was available for the Morrison transfer we would have a great chance of picking up 4 quality players and really livening the squad up.

Mark .Y.

[quote user="Northern Canary"]even if he goes it will be for a good sum of money so im happy. Personally i think he will stay til the summer. Everyone thought Green would go but he was too expensive[/quote]

Nobody wanted Green  .... money didn`t enter into it,  or maybe it did  ?   but not as far as fees were concerned , form your own conclusions ......

I agree with all of your points Matt, and if you look at everything at face value, then there is no reason why he should leave

However......Neil Adams on Radio Norfolk appeared to be not letting on everything he knew last night. He has mnay contacts in the club, and in football, and he seemed pretty convinced that Deano will be moving on

Thats exactly what i mean vince it just seempointless to let him go now when we could make the premiership

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

Anyway, how many clubs would want him.

[/quote]

A cynic might say that Dean is looking to put himself in the shop window with that hat-trick. And he may well be. But I agree with you, Premiership clubs don''t seem to be breaking the door down for him at the moment, and why on earth would he go to Sheff Utd who - if they go up at all - are quite likely to come straight back down? Out of the frying pan into the fire...

I can understnd where youre coming fro Mark. Maybe its wishful thinking but Charlton - could they afford him, i doubt it, Villa dont have money, arsenal are more likely to look abroad. Fulham have strikers and havent yet been interested. And i am still not sure wigan have 8 million to spend. I dont think he would go to everton because they are struggling and financially spending that money and still going down would be dreadful and also a very similar player to Beatie.

I am most worried about man city but arent they in financial trouble still

bring on feb 1 st

Did anyone watch The Championship on ITV this morning? The gimp doing the voice over of yesterday''s game did nothing but go on about Ashton leaving in January. He bearly even described anything about the goals! Just tell us what happened thanks and don''t try to flog our players on national television!

Newcastle want a replacement for Shearer... and they spend money like water... i gues that would be his likely destination...

Owen and Ashton upfront could be frightening!

jas :)

Dean will go if Dean wants to go and if he goes it won''t be for £10m, nearer £6m.

I ask you why would he want to stay beyond January, would you risk the possibility of City even getting there and then needing to win it.  Well would you.  Dean will go in January to a club in North West.