20 hours ago, zema abbey football genius said:

If you’re referring to him being pi$$ed off about starting on the bench (behind goal machine Jerome) vs Fulham and then behaving like a petulant child...that was 2 years ago.

At the minute as far as I’m aware we have Pukki, Srbeny, Oliveira & Morris as senior strikers...and Nelson is the best option (IMO)

Like I said it’s up to DF...

Apologies all..what I meant to state was ‘Nélson is the best option BEHIND Pukki’

That is my opinion and I can’t see any evidence from the other two (appreciate that Morris has been unfortunate with injury & had a decent season at Shrewsbury) that they are better than NO....

1 hour ago, Darth Canary1 said:

Nelson wont be here next season, but yes he's better than srbeny and Morris

Hence my original question...

I just think that rather than paying over the odds for Rhodes or another, Oliveira is still a Norwich player and is worth considering. Judging by people’s reaction my opinion is not shared by most 😂

52 minutes ago, zema abbey football genius said:

Hence my original question...

I just think that rather than paying over the odds for Rhodes or another, Oliveira is still a Norwich player and is worth considering. Judging by people’s reaction my opinion is not shared by most 😂

Farke deemed him surplus to requirements in the Champs. I'd rather pay over the odds for Rhodes and get rid of Nelson than have him back in the City dressing room. At least Rhodes wants to play for us. There's pretty evidently something toxic about Nelson - either his personality or attitude.... No club so far has wanted to keep him around very long despite his talents.

Edited by kick it off

23 hours ago, Van wink said:

Togetherness of the squad and full buy in to our culture is the biggest asset we have, I cant see us risking that for anyone.

This.

As was evident this year, Farke unites the dressing room so that everyone feels part of the team. The way he praised the bench warmers, Pinto, Hanley, Rhodes etc. for their behind the scenes work showed this and he definitely doesn't want one bad apple around, even if they can be good.

Man United is a perfect example of what happens when you have talented, but disruptive influencers in the team.

Get rid, cash in.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, zema abbey football genius said:

Apologies all..what I meant to state was ‘Nélson is the best option BEHIND Pukki’

That is my opinion and I can’t see any evidence from the other two (appreciate that Morris has been unfortunate with injury & had a decent season at Shrewsbury) that they are better than NO....

Opinion permitted once again.

12 hours ago, Darth Canary1 said:

Nelson wont be here next season, but yes he's better than srbeny and Morris

Is he individually a more skillful player than those two, yes, probably. Does he suit our system, no, does he fit the ethos of the team, no, could his attitude / personality  negatively impact the team, possibly. Therefore I - and most others - would suggest whilst ticking one box - skill - he misses virtually all others and therefore isn't better than the others, despite his skill.

Edited by All the Germans
  • Like 4

I spoke to a senior player at the End of Season dinner. The player said this. Nelson is THE most skilful striker he has ever played or trained with. Given the experience of the player in question I was amazed. Has it all , pace, strength , two good feet and so on.

Also said that Nelson is a great bloke ,  popular and to quote the player "has a heart of gold and will help anyone" . Farke doesn't dislike him and when he is here , he trains well.

BUT

There is something that just means he cannot stay focused. NO doesn't keep a shape, doesn't adapt to a change in tactics and doesn't take information on board.  It has happened to him everywhere he goes, and for reasons unknown he just doesn't make a good team player. This is why Farke lost interest in him. The reaction at Fulham was all part of the issue, and had been bubbling for a while.  It was the same message that we heard when he signed for us.

Looks very unlikely he will ever play for us again . It's well known that he uses the same Portuguese agency that is involved in Wolves (and Ronaldo) so will be actively looking again this year I imagine.  Whether Reading will come up with a deal is unknown , but I would imagine that wages are an issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Good post GPB, I think NO has been our most talented striker for a few years but something isn’t right with him-the player you spoke to has nailed it.

I would love it if he sorted himself out and made a contribution for us in the Premiership but it’s not likely to happen.

I fear it’s going to be difficult to persuade someone to take him off our hands though-we’ve been trying for long enough 😳

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Good post GPB, I think NO has been our most talented striker for a few years but something isn’t right with him-the player you spoke to has nailed it.

I would love it if he sorted himself out and made a contribution for us in the Premiership but it’s not likely to happen.

I fear it’s going to be difficult to persuade someone to take him off our hands though-we’ve been trying for long enough 😳

I used to work with a Portuguese bloke who supported Benfica. He referred to NO as ‘The Eternal Promise’...his view was that he is very talented (You don’t get through Benfica’s youth system if you’re s**t) but very Portuguese...

When I asked him what he meant by that he said he displays a lot of the negative stereotypical Portuguese personality traits - emotional, moody, slightly depressive....

Despite the views of most (all 😂) posters on this topic I would still get him back in for pre-season and see what happens. If DF can get NO’s head in gear I still think he is an asset...even @ prem level 

• Like 1

It's weird logic though, Nelson is still on our books because nobody would buy him, and we've just been promoted to the Premier League, without him.

So whilst I genuinely wish him all the best in his future career, I fail to see why people think should be with us? He had his chance, both him and Webber agreed it was best if he moved on.

• Like 1

I do think everyone went overboard on NO and his ability in the first place.

He only had a decent half season for us. Thats basically it. Why else would Reading be the team he went to on loan? Not even a midtable team thought he was worth going for at the time.

Totally agree Hogesar. I don’t know if anyone has been reading the brilliant articles by Cory Varney (https://iwritethings23.wordpress.com/category/football-writing/the-story-of-series/), but one thing struck me when looking at some of the 17/18 highlights on these articles was how many relatively easy chances NO missed. Coupled with this, we also had one of the worst chance conversation rates that season.

As Hogesar said apart from the second half of 16/17 he’s not really delivered for us. I think there is a great player in there, it just doesn’t come out anywhere near enough.

The truth is that unless you are a Messi or Ronaldo level player (and even then there are still limits), you HAVE to play in the way that the coach/manager is asking you to, and players that are unable or unwilling to do so will soon find themselves on the sidelines no matter what their ability level may be.

Nelson is clearly a talented player with real ability and if the stories from teammates are accurate, then he's also a popular guy, but all of that means nothing if you're not willing to work with your coach and teammates to play in the way required on match days.

Farke is one of the best man managers I've seen in modern football, he's instilled self-belief and true team ethics into this squad of players, and if he doesn't feel that he can get Nelson to contribute in the way needed for the team, then all else becomes moot.

The fact that we already had a sale clause inserted into Nelson's loan deal to Reading speaks volumes, but we can never say never, and I'd agree that although from a talent aspect, he's well above Morris, Srbeny and Rhodes, from other angles they appear to offer more of what Farke is looking for from his players.

Reading may not be able to afford to sign Nelson however, which means we're either doing a fire sale on him to get rid, or maybe (just maybe), there's a crazy outside chance he could return and still have a part to play in his Norwich saga, but I'd still put my money on us bringing in 1-2 other strikers instead over his return to playing for us.

I don't think he'd have done much in the Premier League really, perhaps a few worldies over the course of a season but much more sulking and petulance. 

Was decent with his back to goal and bringing others into play when he didn't have his super selfish head on, ridiculous liability when all he was interested in was having 10 long range shots in the hope that one would creep in.

Not a team player at all. Possibly have been useful as an impact sub but would be tolerate being on the bench all the time? Would put up with it for 3 months then have a public tantrum.

Not a player I particularly miss. One player that I do miss and wish was still with us though is Johnny Howson, because he was an all round midfielder who had a bit of everything, 31 now but I think he'd still offer more than McLean or Leitner because they just both have too many weaknesses in their game. Howson was at least okay at everything, and good at several things. 

17 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't think he'd have done much in the Premier League really, perhaps a few worldies over the course of a season but much more sulking and petulance. 

Was decent with his back to goal and bringing others into play when he didn't have his super selfish head on, ridiculous liability when all he was interested in was having 10 long range shots in the hope that one would creep in.

Not a team player at all. Possibly have been useful as an impact sub but would be tolerate being on the bench all the time? Would put up with it for 3 months then have a public tantrum.

Not a player I particularly miss. One player that I do miss and wish was still with us though is Johnny Howson, because he was an all round midfielder who had a bit of everything, 31 now but I think he'd still offer more than McLean or Leitner because they just both have too many weaknesses in their game. Howson was at least okay at everything, and good at several things. 

Howson’s loss.

Of course, possibly ours too. 

• Like 1