I know there has been many a thread about the enigma that is Nélson...however I was just wondering whether anyone thinks he may still have a future with Norwich?

His quality has never really been in doubt, but his attitude leaves a lot to be desired to say the least.

I suppose it all depends on what DF’s view on him is as to whether we could use him next season. I would get him back for pre-season and make the decision from there. No sure how long his contract is (?) but I actually think it’s worth trying to reintegrating him into the squad.

A lot will depend on his whether he’ll be happy to be he No2 striker behind Pukki - I personally think he’s a lot better than other potentials....

Edited by zema abbey football genius

Don't think he is good enough to step up to be honest, not fit enough for our system and while talented, these talents don't overcome his lack of fitness levels required like a prime Berbatov.

He is a good, mid table championship player who maybe could step up if he manages to integrate into the right system.

I think the deal with Reading is already done anyway, just waiting for an official announcement.

No hard feelings though, he had some decent games for us, we just changed systems to one that didn't suit him.

20 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Are you his agent?

No...are you trying to rock the boat?

I have always rated him and genuinely believe we could do a lot worse than a 27 yo Portugal international. That said if he’s disruptive (no one actually knows  this apart from those inside the club) then we should and will sell....

2 minutes ago, zema abbey football genius said:

No...are you trying to rock the boat?

I have always rated him and genuinely believe we could do a lot worse than a 27 yo Portugal international. That said if he’s disruptive (no one know this apart from those inside the club) then we should prob sell....

What do you reckon what the reason for him not playing this season and eventually being loaned out?

If you’re referring to him being pi$$ed off about starting on the bench (behind goal machine Jerome) vs Fulham and then behaving like a petulant child...that was 2 years ago.

At the minute as far as I’m aware we have Pukki, Srbeny, Oliveira & Morris as senior strikers...and Nelson is the best option (IMO)

Like I said it’s up to DF...

Talented? Yes. Does he fit into the way we play? No. Would he have a positive effect on the changing room? I don't think so. He's got a year on his contract I think, unload while there's still some value. 

TBH, I'd rather spend the money on Rhodes, who many think isn't good enough, than have him back.

23 minutes ago, zema abbey football genius said:

If you’re referring to him being pi$$ed off about starting on the bench (behind goal machine Jerome) vs Fulham and then behaving like a petulant child...that was 2 years ago.

At the minute as far as I’m aware we have Pukki, Srbeny, Oliveira & Morris as senior strikers...and Nelson is the best option (IMO)

Like I said it’s up to DF...

I cannot take you seriously if genuinely you believe Oliviera is a better option than Pukki. 

No. No other reason for him to be sidelined and then loaned out than he was a disruptive influence. Clearly a talented footballer and definitely more so than Srbeny so there must have been an issue with his attitude. We’ve certainly prospered without him and shown what can be achieved with a squad in unity.

Thanks Nelson but goodbye..

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Don't think he is good enough to step up to be honest, not fit enough for our system and while talented, these talents don't overcome his lack of fitness levels required like a prime Berbatov.

He is a good, mid table championship player who maybe could step up if he manages to integrate into the right system.

I think the deal with Reading is already done anyway, just waiting for an official announcement.

No hard feelings though, he had some decent games for us, we just changed systems to one that didn't suit him.

Last i saw the deal was far from done, thou Reading want him, apparently being 54 million in debt means they got to sell others before Nelson can be signed.

No thanks. Decent player on his day but he only has about 10 days per season. The rest of the time he ain’t good enough. Add in to that the attitude concerns, why does no club ever keep him around longer than 18months or so?

hes not on pukki’s Level, doesn’t fit the squad, not good enough for the prem, and farke and Webber have made it abundantly clear both implicitly and explicitly that he is not wanted here and has no future at city.

not sure how you’ve failed to grasp he is finished at Norwich but it’s pretty obvious he is.

Togetherness of the squad and full buy in to our culture is the biggest asset we have, I cant see us risking that for anyone.

• Like 2

I too liked Nelson Oliveria when he first arrives and it is clear he has talent to burn...…………...if he is interested.

The risk of him having a strop in the Premier league when we need everyone pulling in the same direction is too great a risk. 

He does not get into the same positions as TP and is no where near his level. Srbeny, in my opinion allows us an option B if we need one.

However what we do need is another striker to support/boost what we have.

7 hours ago, CanaryChris said:

I cannot take you seriously if genuinely you believe Oliviera is a better option than Pukki. 

This. 

• Like 1

I do wonder if this kind of discussion was prevalent among the 'Hoops support' when 'Powerhouse Pukki' was a player at Celtic?.....

I agree with the OP, I think a fit and mentally engaged NO is better than Sir Benny, Carlton and even Rhodes if he stays (if), however I think it’s clear to see that his issue isn’t his talent and therefore must be his attitude otherwise why ship him out.

You can’t change that, that’s Nelsons gift to give and unless he changes his way he’s never playing here again.

I saw him training on his own at Dunston Hall just before he left for Reading, he looked like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders, shame really I guess.

Farke has got players running through brick walls for each other. Oliviera wouldn’t run for a bus. If his mental attributes were on par he would be an excellent player but unfortunately with him, you only get the occasional good performance. 

Totally the wrong kind of striker, even taking his attitude out of the equation. He's a good striker for a team with no real passing ethos, who need someone to make something out of nothing. Every time he gets within 30 yards he swings his left foot through it trying to score a worldie - the exact opposite to Pukki, whose intelligent movement and awareness in the box have made him a lethal weapon. Additionally, Oliveira has no pace and can't play on the shoulder - in this system he'd just be dropping deep in the central channel getting under the feet of the AMs. Would genuinely rather have Srbeny in the squad than Oliveira (although naturally I hope we upgrade, and expect us to).

Edited by Feedthewolf
typo
  • Like 1

No thanks. For me it's not even his attitude that is the problem. It's that he doesn't fit our style. Look at Pukkis goals this season. They do not involve a striker getting the ball & shooting from 30 odd yards. So many of our goals are team goals, with Pukki, Hernandez, etc finishing off a slick move. Sorry Nelson is not that sort of striker.

Why should anybody risk upsetting the apple cart at this glorious moment in the time of our club?

Webber/Farke have far more sense.They will know that they can find better.

Besides, Olly, who is capable of his moments but that is all, is rather over-rated, imo.

Him and Reading are well met in my opinion.

Not just one but one hundred "no" votes from me.

• Like 1

It is a little odd - not long ago some would have had you believe NO was the best striker outside the PL....something I never bought into; he’s decent enough but doesn’t fit our needs and we would be far better selling while there’s some transfer value.  

I agree with splendidrush, if it was a direct choice between him and Rhodes I’d go with the latter (not that it has to be either) who has proved he fits in with the current set-up and possibly more deserves a chance.

• Thanks 1

I must admit that I had some sympathy with him with the incident after the Fulham goal - he'd spent all pre-season as the number one striker, only to be on the bench for that day, so i sympathised with the emotion of scoring a 90th minute equaliser.  In hindsight, it probably revealed the other side of his personality & we've seen the importance of team ethic and togetherness. He always seemed popular with the squad from his social media post.

He can undoubtedly score goals, but I just can't see him coming back with his tail between his legs and knuckling down to fit into what Farke and Webber demand.

I thought someone said that Reading had a buyout clause for Oliveira?

Wasn’t it part of the loan deal?

Edited by Indy

So many of our squad have sat it out on the bench because DF was loyal and did not want to change a winning team or mentality. Did anyone really imagine Godfrey would keep his place over Klose?

Oliveira does not give the impression that he would be content to sit on the bench for long without making a fuss. Fine if that is hids personality but sometimes ability has to take a back seat to personality.

12 hours ago, zema abbey football genius said:

I hereby revoke your entitlement to an opinion. I'd let you have better option than Srbeny & Morris whilst not entirely agreeing but Pukki? Are you being serious?