Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Forget Farke On A Horse.

That’s really disappointing. Those elephants are disgustingly abused to break them in to allow people to ride on them and then their spines are deformed by the practice of lumbering tourists around. I’m really sad that Onel has supported that. Martin Clunes is all over the press atm for similar. There are various sanctuaries that actually support the elephants to live humanely so it’s easy to get up close, without propagating the abuse. I stayed at the Elephant Nature Park in Chiang Mai and saw the elephants that had been in the trekking camps up close (ENP is a sanctuary where they rescue elephants from trekking camps).... elephants who had been shot in the face, use of bull hooks and chains, deformed spines etc.

Sorry Onel, I’m sure it’s ignorance but there is no excuse for this. Massively disappointed in his judgement here.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 3

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/is-bali-the-worlds-worst-destination-for-animal-cruelty/

https://www.responsibletravel.com/holidays/elephant-conservation/travel-guide/elephant-sanctuaries-which-we-do-and-dont-support <<< Specifically says it does support the ENP in Chiang Mai because it is a genuine sanctuary and pioneering in it's approach to caring for the elephants etc. Top of the list of places it does not support.... Mason Elephant Lodge.

image.png.6d1c9680ef5e35cf5ba3e2e1a8ca2516.png

image.png.1f51f59f0f6ca35841402d9776eae273.png

image.png.f24510025438ff331a1683093acbd558.png

Two sides of a coin here, terrible treatment of elephants is well publicised now and will hopefully be stamped out - and there are thankfully some real sanctuaries out there. Looks as if Onel has chosen a good one.

8 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

In the interests of balance, before we label Onel as a monster.

Screenshot_20190515-224806.png

Yeah, that's the spiel the owner gives in the link I posted above... he then goes on to try to justify monetising the elephants with rides etc despite knowing that it's bad for the elephants welfare. It's utter b0ll0cks. They haven't rescued anything. They've seized an opportunity to make a quick buck out of some poor elephants that have been abused all their lives. Rescuing would be letting them roam free in a sanctuary, behaving as naturally as possible for the rest of their days. That's what a sanctuary is. This isn't a sanctuary, it's a tourist park.

If you look up pictures of this place, the elephants are chained with chains that are maybe 50 cm long, in the middle of concrete circles. They are forced to perform tricks. They are abused with bullhooks.

Like I said, I don't doubt Onel is entirely ignorant about all of this, but in the age of on demand internet in your pocket, there is literally no excuse to be ignorant.

12 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Im pleased you posted that👍

23 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Two sides of a coin here, terrible treatment of elephants is well publicised now and will hopefully be stamped out - and there are thankfully some real sanctuaries out there. Looks as if Onel has chosen a good one.

Edited as reaction was too harsh

Edited by kick it off

Just now, kick it off said:

Even though it's a demonstrable lie?

took it at face value, if its as you describe then its sad indeed

6 minutes ago, Van wink said:

took it at face value, if its as you describe then its sad indeed

The detail is in the Telegraph article I posted - these elephants were "rescued" from the logging trade in Sumatra but they are no better off for it.

Image result for mason elephant lodge cruelty

image.png.049823d074c81871bfba6efa484a9615.png

https://www.hereandtherecollective.com/blog-1/2018/8/7/whats-up-with-that-how-to-avoid-animal-abusement-parks-masquerading-as-animal-sanctuaries << It is reviewed in depth here - it fails every single one of their 6 tests for sanctuary.

That's what this idyllic rescue driven "sanctuary" really looks like. The baby elephant pictured is being "broken in". This process has to happen to allow tourists to ride on elephants. It is essentially taking the babies and beating them into submission with a sharp hook on a stick whilst they are bound, so they are unable to move. Mason Elephant Lodge has bred 4 elephants and they're available to ride. 

Edited by kick it off

3 minutes ago, kick it off said:

The detail is in the Telegraph article I posted - these elephants were "rescued" from the logging trade in Sumatra but they are no better off for it.

image.png.049823d074c81871bfba6efa484a9615.png

https://www.hereandtherecollective.com/blog-1/2018/8/7/whats-up-with-that-how-to-avoid-animal-abusement-parks-masquerading-as-animal-sanctuaries << It is reviewed in depth here - it fails every single one of their 6 tests for sanctuary.

That's what this idyllic rescue driven "sanctuary" really looks like.

Thanks .....should have followed up the links you posted .......its appalling

For comparitive purposes: 

Elephant Nature Park in Chiang Mai (an actual sanctuary) has elephants allowed to roam free in herds. Mahouts control the herds with literally no use of force. Riding is forbidden. Bullhooks are forbidden. You can touch the elephants but only if they approach you, otherwise you just stand and watch them. I know for a fact they're not chained at any point in time because we stayed in a cabin that overlooked the stables where they sleep. 

Endorsed by the Save the Elephant foundation, WWF and various others. It's actually legitimately a sanctuary.

https://www.saveelephant.org/elephant-nature-park/

https://www.elephantnaturepark.org/

Image result for elephant nature park

Image result for elephant nature park

Edited by kick it off

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I took it at face value too.  Seems things are not always what they seem. 

Fair play Lakey, I edited my original response to you as it was pretty harsh and uncalled for. Apologies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Is that Daenerys from Game of Thrones? I know they’re big, but that’s no dragon.

30 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

She doesn’t look quite so good from the front

B7E89073-16B6-4C9C-A4EC-D24A73D2AC01.jpeg

Well, Argos doesn’t impress me much either, but each to their own. 

Onel has been, perhaps understandably, ignorant but Martin Clunes, as a patron of an animal welfare charity, has basically been an idiot.

I think it's easy to forget that Onel is in his mid 20's and has only just discovered Argos. That slight joke aside, some people are 'awake' and some aren't.

It's deplorable what they do to animals in order to create photo opportunities for social media 'best lives' and this is a prime example. A real shame but Onel's not best known for his decision making is he?!