Sign in to follow this  
kirku

LMA Awards

Technically speaking Wilder had more right to the award as he is old score Manager in charge of all aspect of the football side at Bramall Lane, whereas Farke is only responsible for coaching and picking the team.  Although given that he has to accept the players that are given him, you could argue that is much harder?  Anyway, the overlapping centre back tactics Wilder has used to now will be very interesting to see in the EPL - he struggled to find a plan B last season so an early injury or two could leave him exposed.

2 hours ago, kirku said:

Thanks, was completely unaware of this. Found this article which goes into in a bit and found it really interesting: https://medium.com/@Mase159/sheffield-uniteds-3-5-2-the-art-of-the-overlapping-centre-back-aed8c1110fe0

Good article. I enjoy looking at the tactical side of the game with 'innovative' tactics such as this one, but I can't remember ever seeing a tactic this peculiar, and one that I've had such difficulty in comprehending.

On paper, with both wing backs and both of the wide centre-backs pushing forward all at the same time, this should, in theory, leave them very exposed on the counter but as we can see from their defensive record, it doesn't. This article does a pretty decent job of explaining it.

On one hand it is good that success isn't measured in trophies but on the other, DF turned everything around this season and in particular the respect of the supporters, and whereas many of us thought he did a poor job last season, most thought Wilder had done a good job last season.

So I am a little confused as to why DF has not achieved more, in the eyes of his peers, than Wilder. 

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

On one hand it is good that success isn't measured in trophies but on the other, DF turned everything around this season and in particular the respect of the supporters, and whereas many of us thought he did a poor job last season, most thought Wilder had done a good job last season.

So I am a little confused as to why DF has not achieved more, in the eyes of his peers, than Wilder. 

I think the fact Farke has Webber will mean that he may get a little less recognition.

Wilder has been doing the job of both of them and has the joint owners of the club in the middle of taking legal action against each other. That certainly adds an element of difficulty that Farke just doesn’t have to worry about. 

46 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think the fact Farke has Webber will mean that he may get a little less recognition.

Wilder has been doing the job of both of them and has the joint owners of the club in the middle of taking legal action against each other. That certainly adds an element of difficulty that Farke just doesn’t have to worry about. 

If its a 'Manager of everything' versus 'Director of Football and Head Coach', does that suggest the LMA is still coming to terms with the DoF approach?

Don't have any issue with this. Wilder's players are not technically as good as ours and the way he made them relentless at the end of the season completely messed with Leeds players heads, in particular. He has improved his team by more from their base ability level, and whilst Farke has done a fantastic job in terms of coaching and improving, I believe that Wilder has effectively run the whole club  almost single handedly, as an old style English manager, in charge of everything.

I like him. I like his passion and his belief in his club and I don't see Sheff Utd rolling over for anyone in the PL. He is the kind of manager any supporter would love to have - as a minimum, he will make every player sweat blood for the shirt. I think they'll be OK if he buys or loans a couple of decent players to supplement what they have.

6 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Paul Lambert proclaimed SUFC as the "best team they had played all season" . That's good enough for me.

Farke and Wilder proclaimed Ipswich we’re by far the worst team they played all season

• Haha 1

It's an absolute nonsense, don't really understand this whole "I can see why he was awarded it". 

The teams started the season having last time finished 10th and 14th with a 9 point gap. In between that finish and the start of this season Norwich saw, in financial terms, significantly more talent walk out the door than Sheff Utd. And Norwich spent less on incoming talent. Yes, our wage budget was higher, but it dropped significantly whilst theirs almost certainly rose and a lot of our wage budget was going to players Farke had no access to for various reasons. 

The result against that backdrop when looking at the two in isolation? A massive 14 point swing in Norwich's favour. 

This is a manager of the season award, not a manager of the last three years, which undoubtedly belongs to Wilder and Wilder alone. He has done a remarkable, unbelievable job in those three seasons. But in the last season he has been utterly eclipsed by Farke, by any rational, objective measure. 

Jingoistic blinkers has won Wilder the award, not merit or worthiness. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Jingoistic blinkers has won Wilder the award. 

Our scouting team looked a Blinkers but were wary of signing another Dutch striker with a silly name. 😀

I doubt Farke gives a shi* about the award. 

I wouldn't either. The achievement  this season cannot be denied or ignored. 

I expect it to be confirmed next season who the best is and I’ve no doubt it won’t be a gritty Englishman.

• Like 1