Sign in to follow this  
It's Character Forming

Liverpool or Man City

Not watching, but with the sunny weather I can tell when something has happened in these games from sudden random cheering in nearby houses - clearly there are a few Liverpool fans living nearby!

for me I’d marginally prefer Liverpool to purely for a bit of variety but it’s not really a big deal for me.

what do others think? 

Citeh, I was the same as you thinking it would be nice for someone else to win it, then the scousers started getting all cocky and arrogant so they can get stuffed now.

So MannC then - crazy that Liverpool are 2nd with 97 points and only 1 defeat and would have won the Prem with that total in every other season bar one. But in the end it’s a contest with the other teams in the league and they’ve ended up second best so that’s just the way it goes.

also shows the lack of competitiveness in the Prem as a league that both the top 2 have won c80% of their games, that can’t be a good thing

I'm happy that Man City have won it, scousers are some of the most arrogant entitled supporters on the planet.

• Like 1

That's pretty unlucky to be fair. We've had what has felt like a fantastic season, I can scarcely remember what losing feels like and we've picked up 94 from 46, they've picked up 97 from 38 while also competing well in the Champions League. Shows what we're up against next season though. They're a much better side than the one that used to regularly maul us with Suarez

2 hours ago, Daz Sparks said:

I'm happy that Man City have won it, scousers are some of the most arrogant entitled supporters on the planet.

At least they’ve got fans-I think I have only ever met 1 Man City fan in my life!

20 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

At least they’ve got fans-I think I have only ever met 1 Man City fan in my life!

Man City are a new ‘big’ club so are only now gathering their ‘glory hunting’ supporters. Unfortunately because of Liverpool’s history, their fans are everywhere

• Like 2

How do people feel about City really? Go back to 1999 and their demise to the third Division, then getting rich owners a free stadium built for the commonwealth games? Their fans now consist of ex United glory hunters and plastics with a few old fans from when they were crap!

At least Liverpool won the league and cups during a period where it was harder to win as squads were smaller and the league was more even.

I dislike Man City, as much as Chelsea, both plastic clubs run by plastic owners for corporate pleasure.

• Like 2

I've no love for either of them but I do seem to have found myself pleased that Liverpool haven't done it (again!)

Man United & Chelsea I can't stand. I love when Man U get beaten and I take pleasure in any struggles that come their way. Chelsea are rotten to the core and deserve misery piled upon them. While extremely unlikely, it would be hilarious & supremely satisfying to see either relegated. 

I can be a bitter little man when I want to be!

• Like 1

It's been an interesting watch, particularly the last few weeks. I'm not an avid Premier league watcher, but what I have seen is that the two clubs with the best work ethic and caring managers have been at the top.  You can add Spurs too who seem to have echoes of that caring approach. 

It all compares very nicely with the way we have evolved over the last two seasons - and our approach is going to help us greatly next season, as it does those top teams.  We may not win the league or even be in the top six, but I really think we will be pleasantly surprised next season - as we were this season. 

My order of preference for the top clubs:

Spurs - Not spent a fortune and are by far the most likeable from the top 6

Man City - Decent fans and owners have invested heavily in the surrounding area and Guardiola is class

Liverpool - Great club, great manager, unbearable fans

Arsenal - Not a lot to like but my dad supports and I remember the invincibles under Wenger from when I was young so I have a small soft spot

Man Utd - club stuck in the past, unlikeable team, plastic fans and have been poor to watch considering how much they've spent the last decade or so. 

Chelsea - Vile, repulsive club, hate everything about them. Every facet of their club rubs me the wrong way.  I so hope we beat them next year! 

It's probably been exhilarating and exhausting being a Liverpool or Man City fan this year but for a neutral it's been kinda dull. Plus the race for the top 4 is always dull, it's an achievement invented by the media and incentivised purely by money. Good for the teams involved, a total yawnfest for the rest of us. Hopefully another team can do a Leicester again soon to spice thing up a bit!

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 1

Glad Man City won - I have no great love for them but don't ever want to see Liverpool win anything.

I've got nothing against Jürgen Klopp and his team but Liverpool are the club that turns my stomach.

If people don't remember the reason, I'll remind you - Heysel - the atrocities by Liverpool fans resulted in our club being banned from European competition.  

Interesting that, in the last 5 years, the Top six places, 30 in total have seen Leicester win it and Everton finish 5th.

Boring boring boring, it's not as bad as Scotland, Germany or Spain but I can't see the interest. 

I agree , top six ... same clubs ... and the 14 others battling relegation... I mean you could say that Leicester are a settled premier league side ... but remember the season after they won the league... This top six is so settled , that the Premier League isn't half as interesting to follow as the Championship.

I am happy that our club have reached the top division again and it will be good for the investment in our youth scheme and the club in general, but the season won't be half as thrilling as the last one...

The competition in France: people are talking about who will be finishing second as the champions are a foregone conclusion
Spain: top two are certain , before the season even begins
Germany: immer Bayern, jedes Jahr das gleiche
Scotland: well , I don't understand why you would even go to watch football there, it's decided before it's even started

Edited by ROBFLECK

The sooner the top 6 teams b*gger off to a European “super” league, the sooner the rest of us (rest of Europe really) can enjoy a competitive top league.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Interesting that, in the last 5 years, the Top six places, 30 in total have seen Leicester win it and Everton finish 5th.

Boring boring boring, it's not as bad as Scotland, Germany or Spain but I can't see the interest. 

It is frustrating but the Premier League is probably the most competitive of all of the top leagues.

Juventus have won every Serie A title since 10/11.

PSG have won 6 of the last 7 Ligue Un titles.

14 of the last 15 La Liga winners have been Barca or Real Madrid.

Bayern have won the last 6 Bundesliga titles.

The fact we've had 4 different winners in the last decade actually makes us pretty competitive. 

52 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

I agree , top six ... same clubs ... and the 14 others battling relegation... I mean you could say that Leicester are a settled premier league side ... but remember the season after they won the league... This top six is so settled , that the Premier League isn't half as interesting to follow as the Championship.

I am happy that our club have reached the top division again and it will be good for the investment in our youth scheme and the club in general, but the season won't be half as thrilling as the last one...

The competition in France: people are talking about who will be finishing second as the champions are a foregone conclusion
Spain: top two are certain , before the season even begins
Germany: immer Bayern, jedes Jahr das gleiche
Scotland: well , I don't understand why you would even go to watch football there, it's decided before it's even started

I wouldn't say the top two in Spain are certain before the season begins. This is the second year in a row that Barca and Atletico have been the top two but Real Madrid are pretty strong too.

Totally disagree with some earlier posters. When Man City went down to the 3rd tier their fans stuck with them. Ok some now are glory hunters but the core of long standing & suffering fans is still there. 

Could never support Liverpool for what they did to us in the 80s

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Year of the tiger said:

Totally disagree with some earlier posters. When Man City went down to the 3rd tier their fans stuck with them. Ok some now are glory hunters but the core of long standing & suffering fans is still there. 

Could never support Liverpool for what they did to us in the 80s

This. 

All the Man City fans I’ve ever spoken to are from Manchester, so it’s unsurprising you don’t see many around here.  Their present owners seem to stay out of the limelight and have contributed to developing young English players. 

I presume the glory hunters will arrive soon enough. 

2 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

This. 

All the Man City fans I’ve ever spoken to are from Manchester, so it’s unsurprising you don’t see many around here.  Their present owners seem to stay out of the limelight and have contributed to developing young English players. 

I presume the glory hunters will arrive soon enough. 

Their owners are, as far as I can tell, scumbags.

However you can level that accusation at about 90% of football team owners at the top level.

51 minutes ago, king canary said:

It is frustrating but the Premier League is probably the most competitive of all of the top leagues.

Juventus have won every Serie A title since 10/11.

PSG have won 6 of the last 7 Ligue Un titles.

14 of the last 15 La Liga winners have been Barca or Real Madrid.

Bayern have won the last 6 Bundesliga titles.

The fact we've had 4 different winners in the last decade actually makes us pretty competitive. 

Which makes what Nuff Said said (er,) correct in every way. 

5 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Which makes what Nuff Said said (er,) correct in every way. 

I wasn't disagreeing with him, just adding some context.

47 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I wouldn't say the top two in Spain are certain before the season begins. This is the second year in a row that Barca and Atletico have been the top two but Real Madrid are pretty strong too.

Got me there, but do you think it's a competitive league? I mean ... many results are so predictable! As soon as Real started losing a few the Spanish press went berserk...

17 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

Got me there, but do you think it's a competitive league? I mean ... many results are so predictable! As soon as Real started losing a few the Spanish press went berserk...

For what it's worth, I agree with you.

Of the big five leagues, the Premier League is the most competitive at the top end. Every season there are at least three or four realistic contenders; this season probably five at the start (I don't think Arsenal were, but all the other 'big six' could've challenged). 

The wheel always turns eventually, but with the money in the game now it turns very slowly indeed.