Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Jed Steer

Personally, I think we should bring him home if Villa fail in the Playoffs. Would be excellent competition for Krul, who I think has been excellent for us, but we need to build a squad as strongĀ as possible for obvious reasons. Thoughts on Jed Steer - would you bring him back here? Always rated him myself, and he is starting to look like a top keeper...

Decent keeper, good age too. Suspect Villa maybe the ones going up though.

8 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Decent keeper, good age too. Suspect Villa maybe the ones going up though.

I said some months ago that Villa would get it together and get promoted via the playoffs and most people on here laughed. Dean Smith has done a great job so far, but from a selfish point of view, we probably want Derby to come up with us, as I think theyā€™d be good candidates to come straight back down as things stand. I would expect Villa to stay up should they return to the Premier League.

As for Jed Steer, I think heā€™d be a great signing should Villa miss out in the autos, exactly the type of keeper we need to offer Krul that much needed competition. But I canā€™t see anyone but Villa winning the playoffs myself so unfortunately itā€™s not looking an option.

Can't see Villa letting him go cheaply though, that's the issue. I don't think we need to be spending several million for "competition for Krul" If we are buying a keeper, it's a smart buy for a free, loan or a couple of mill or we go for a proper standout keeper and spend some Ā£Ā£Ā£

I don't get all this hoping for a team to come up to fill one of the relegation spots. None of the 4 playoff teams are going to be worrying us for a Europa spot, so it doesn't really matter who comes up - we need to be more worried about Arsenal etc šŸ˜‰

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I don't get all this hoping for a team to come up to fill one of the relegation spots. None of the 4 playoff teams are going to be worrying us for a Europa spot, so it doesn't really matter who comes up - we need to be more worried about Arsenal etc šŸ˜‰

If we do as well in the transfer window assembly we did last summer and we keep Buendia on the pitch all season I think you may be right. This is definitely the best team we've had going up and probably the best ever to be promoted from the Championship. Provided that Emi is playing of courseĀ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watching the Villa v WBA game, the difference in the way we builds attackā€™s - quick passes, overloading one of the wings, incisive runsĀ - is night and day more advanced than the way Villa played. Iā€™m confident we can successfullyĀ bring that style of play to the PL, but we are going to have to have a pacyĀ ā€œdestroyerā€Ā in defensive midfield to break up counter attackā€™s when we lose the ball.Ā 

• Like 1

Steer was always considered the better of the two when he and Rudd were coming through the academy. Unfortunately we moved up the leagues too quickly to keep him and play him regularly. Good to see heā€™s living up to that potential.

Is he Villaā€™s first choice or covering for an injury?Ā 

If heā€™s their first choice he wonā€™t come here, and I doubt Farke would want an ex-Norwich player in the squad unless heā€™s super sure there wonā€™t be any issues - SteedĀ did leave for Lambert.Ā 

46 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Why would he leave Villa for a place on our bench?

Why does anyone even bother being transferred?

Keeper, the most crucial position we need to sort out for the Prem.Ā  Ā  Ā There's a love in on Krul and rightly he should be given a chance to claim the shirt but there is evidence to suggest he's going to struggle and we will need someone in reserve that can do the business if and or when that happens.....

His contribution this season has clearly been significant, no doubt he's helped the young lads out and been influential in the changing room,Ā he's made some great savesĀ (Wigan and QPR spring to mind) but apart from making too many mistakes (most of which he gets away with) he's not a ball player,Ā is slow on the ball and there are too many shots he should save but doesn't (recently Stoke's headerĀ andĀ Blackburn's soft effort) are just examples.Ā  Ā  It might be the injuries he's had, but he's simply not as sharp as he'll need to be.Ā  Ā Ā  Ā 

The window closes early August, we need a high quality cover that can take over, its just to much a gamble to ignore.Ā  Ā  Would be very surprised if we aren't working to get someone in.Ā  Ā 

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Why does anyone even bother being transferred?

Is this a serious question?

Money and/or career progression. That's my point - we offer him neither.

13 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Is this a serious question?

Money and/or career progression. That's my point - we offer him neither.

Bingo! Youā€™ve worked it out šŸ‘

On 11/05/2019 at 16:40, Fiery Zac said:

Steer was always considered the better of the two when he and Rudd were coming through the academy. Unfortunately we moved up the leagues too quickly to keep him and play him regularly. Good to see heā€™s living up to that potential.

It wasn't about moving through the leagues too quickly- it was that we employed a manager who refused to ever take risks so wouldn't give youth a chance. Rudd and Steer were both given small amounts of first team football by Lambert, when he left Hughton bought in Bunn and Camp and loaned Steer out to a conference team- I'd have left in his position.

I think Villa will be promoted...and Steer might be first choice there...no way we will be able to sign him.

1 hour ago, Ekoku: The Ambassador Of The People said:

Having a bit of a mare today

I wouldn't exactly say that!