Sign in to follow this  
Nuff Said

Who tried to poach Webber?

In Paddy Davitt’s latest article he says:

Another Premier League club went further [than Southampton], since he moved to Norwich in 2017, but Webber rejected the opportunity.

Did I miss this or is this new? Who was it?

One thing we have in our favour is that he's in complete control here, he chooses to share duties with staff he trusts but essentially he can do whatever he likes here. The roles may have roughly the same name but the job here is different to at most other British clubs.

He doesn't have to answer to anyone above him, next to him and can set the club up to run exactly how he wants it to. He won't get that at pretty much any other club. The lure of working in a more limited role at a massive club would appeal to him obviously, but he's not going to swap total control here to be a smaller cog at a Burnley or Southampton. 

32 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think he would be better sauteed

I also think he would be better sauteed to staying here for the foreseeable future.

Unfortunately he won’t be here much longer hate to say but let’s thank him he saved city big time. Let’s enjoy him while he’s here

11 minutes ago, Hucks6 said:

Unfortunately he won’t be here much longer hate to say but let’s thank him he saved city big time. Let’s enjoy him while he’s here

How much longer is much longer?

If it was Burnley then it makes sense that he said no. Not a bigger club than Norwich, much more competition for players at academy level and they would need a pretty significant change in playing squad to play the way he likes football to be played.

I wonder what he'd see as a step up- for instance if we stayed up and a West Ham or Watford type club came in for him would that be enough to tempt him?

4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:
42 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

How much longer is much longer?

I reckon end of next season is the longest he’ll be around. 

It would be surprise if he doesn't stay for a while imo.  He has everything he needs here to develop a football club to it's maximum potential. Everything is in place to improve/develop the club, with Farke and eveyone in position for the next few years. 

People might scoff, but there is every possibility that we are on the road to real success at the top level, even with our relatively small resources - and who is to say we couldn't get to near the top of the PL over the next three or four years?  I wouldn't discount it. I accept the likelihood is that we will do well to be around mid-table, but never say never. 

We appear to have the dream set up and as has been said Webber has almost complete control.  He may just want to see how far we can go - and that could mean to the top.  I mean, in less than two seasons we have gone from nowhere to playing what many people describe as PL football....the sky is the limit! 

• Like 3

Webber is a difficult person to read, doesn't take fools gladly, says it as it is and wasn't exactly doing cart wheels after our promotion. If he's happy to be with a yo-yo club then Norwich might be for him for a few years. If we get relegated next season and he feels he's done as much as he can with us, it wouldn't surprise me if he goes for a new challenge. Same for Farke too.

Just depends what happens around other clubs both this country and abroad but youd imagine even if we did retain our premier league place, anyone West Ham / Everton onwards would be good progression for him.

32 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It would be surprise if he doesn't stay for a while imo.  He has everything he needs here to develop a football club to it's maximum potential. Everything is in place to improve/develop the club, with Farke and eveyone in position for the next few years. 

People might scoff, but there is every possibility that we are on the road to real success at the top level, even with our relatively small resources - and who is to say we couldn't get to near the top of the PL over the next three or four years?  I wouldn't discount it. I accept the likelihood is that we will do well to be around mid-table, but never say never. 

We appear to have the dream set up and as has been said Webber has almost complete control.  He may just want to see how far we can go - and that could mean to the top.  I mean, in less than two seasons we have gone from nowhere to playing what many people describe as PL football....the sky is the limit! 

Unfortunately there’s far bigger clubs than Norwich that will be looking at Webber you would expect - just like Huddersfield to Norwich was a step up. I get the feeling he is a VERY ambitious man.

40 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I’d kind of agree with you if it wasn’t for the fact he has said himself he won’t be around for the long-term. While I think he’d struggle to get employed in Spain as he has stated numerous times is his ambition - he’d probably need to be fluent in Spanish to do that. He will certainly be a man in demand already. I could see him landing in Germany while he is already well known by clubs  

If Norwich stay up then larger domestic clubs will be interested, if Norwich go down then you can see him wanting to remain in the Prem - and unless Norwich have a horrific transfer window of Fulham proportions - then you doubt he’d be short of suitors. 

Webber is very good at his job, but there are plenty others out there who could probably do as good a job if given the chance. He stands out as there are so few people doing what he does in the Championship. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

Is Hucks6 Hucks?  I remember he used to post on here when he hung up boots and moved.  Hope it it!

No. Different username and the Real Hucks only posted around his business ventures at the time 

I didn’t see this mentioned anywhere on here, but SSN did an article a week or so ago about Man Utd’s search for a director of football. They didn’t say that Man Utd were interested in Webber, but in their article they had a category of “experts in the field”. Webber was the first name mentioned. (There were other categories, with Ferdinand in particular mentioned as a result of him being a recent-ish ex-Utd player with some sort of football related business background from his recruitment agency.)

I think it’s perhaps too soon for the likes of ManUtd to be coming in for him, but if in two or three years time we are an “established” premier league club finishing mid table or above then it wouldn’t be surprising if that sort of club go after him.

Interestingly, another name mentioned for Man Utd was Paul Mitchell. He was at MK Dons, then Southampton, got them up, went to Spurs (now at Leipzig). Could see Webber making similar moves.

Edited by Aggy

I was surprised not to see him as the man rebuilding Man Utd. Guess he would have been to powerful a figure for Solskjaer at this moment in time but if this appointment fails then a powerful figure will be called for.

8 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I was surprised not to see him as the man rebuilding Man Utd. Guess he would have been to powerful a figure for Solskjaer at this moment in time but if this appointment fails then a powerful figure will be called for.

The people running Man U seem to be a complete joke- they seem to have zero interest in hiring anyone who didn't play for the club under Alex Ferguson.

IMO he will stay here for a while, needs to polish his resume for a bigger job.

Looking at the big picture he hasn't done anything that he has not already done at Huddersfield.

He's already preparing the story for this year, "we'll spend the least" and play exciting football.

If we have decent seasons next two years, then he'll be looking abroad - Germany, Italy, Spain. 

20 minutes ago, Well b back said:

The ‘sporting director’ role at Man U will be a mostly powerless figurehead. 

Ed Woodward will still have the club prioritise players with commercial strength over their footballing abilities. 

The fact they made Ole manager and then started to think about the director shows they are going about it the wrong way. Especially if they are genuinely considering Rio as the man to take the role. 

With Webber it might have been the club that approached him wanted him as a head of recruitment or to head their academy, jobs he’s previously had. 

I wouldn’t underestimate the value of a balance personal life. 

Husband and wife both working in good, important jobs in the same organisation, where they have significant influence and control, in a part of the world that is very conducive to good living and bringing up a family. A newborn child might be an influential factor for example. .

They are both valued, supported and have quite a free hand. However ambitious you are, that is a good set of pragmatic criteria to throw into the pot. 

Barcelona yes, Manchester United yes, Watford no, even Everton only maybe...

...so not such a large pool to drag you away....

Parma

5 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

I wouldn’t underestimate the value of a balance personal life. 

Husband and wife both working in good, important jobs in the same organisation, where they have significant influence and control, in a part of the world that is very conducive to good living and bringing up a family. A newborn child might be an influential factor for example. .

They are both valued, supported and have quite a free hand. However ambitious you are, that is a good set of pragmatic criteria to throw into the pot. 

Barcelona yes, Manchester United yes, Watford no, even Everton only maybe...

...so not such a large pool to drag you away....

Parma

In this instance I can’t agree Webber will do whatever it takes to get to the top. Unlike some however he will always be welcomed back.

• Like 1

I suspect that a good season in the PL with some more good buys would look very good on his CV and make him attractive to more elevated PL teams than Burnley and Southampton. Without "doing it" at PL level, there will be some that doubt his capacity for a senior PL role. Once he has that, if successful, I suspect he will move on. For his sake, I hope he chooses better than Lambert!

• Like 1

He's mentioned several times that he wants to work abroad and is ambitious so I doubt he'll be here long term, but you never know in football. I hope though that just like the club is looking for the next Buendia or the next Farke, they also have a list for the next Webber and that the philosophy that has been established off the pitch continues when he does leave.