Jump to content
Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

Recommended Posts

Onel Hernandez is a better player than either of the Murphy twins, especially within the team. 

What no one ever mentions is his strength. He is a winger who can play with his back to goal because of his physicality. 

In the EPL his biggest challenge will be to cut out errors where he loses the ball when we have players committed. In other words his game management. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Bowen is the right player at the wrong time, he plays on the right and cuts in on his left foot and is devastating. Trouble is, Emi starts there and Roberts, being on loan, will also expect gametime. 

If you buy him to compete with Onel, where does that leave Todd? unless he goes out on loan. 

Someone is going to say we need backup for Marco and I agree with that, I'm not sure that Roberts, Bowen or Todd fit the bill.

However, and I know this won't be popular, if Bowen comes in, does that allow us to cash in on Emi in January?

Tin hat on.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Just seems a rather  uncompromising statement to make."

Not really, and I did just say the opening game.By all accounts we stand very little chance of getting a result at Anfield whatever. In this respect I feel that it would be for the better to resort to our known strengths of team spirit and player cohesion in order to give us the best chance. What we know as opposed to the unknown.

"By that kind of logic, if Ngolo  Kante decided that he wanted to play for us, the Tom Trybulls place would be secure.":classic_biggrin:

That's a bit unfair Wcc. We can all quote multi-million pound players with bags of top level experience in this context. Bowen has only played a handful of PL games and is virtually as unproven at that level as any of our squad. At least you didn't cite Lionel Messi.

By all accounts Bowen would be a good signing for City, along with Drmic and the other two, but I wouldn't be against them all starting from the bench against Liverpool .... as things stand at the moment.

 
Edited by BroadstairsR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd imagine if we are indeed looking seriously at a move for Bowen then one of the first questions DF will ask him would be something along the lines of "You would be competing mainly with Onel Hernandez for a starting spot; if he gets into the team and we go on a 10-game streak of good form that keeps you on the bench through no fault of your own, would you be OK with that?" - If that team-before-player ethic is not something he could deal with, as the likes of Klose, Hanley and Rhodes proved admirably last season, then I can't see him being signed. 

Assuming he passes the character test, the fact that Bowen can fill in as a striker if needed makes him a very attractive proposition - We really need three good options up there, Pukki and Drmic are fine but Srbeny clearly wasn't signed with the Premier League in mind and isn't on that level. Bowen as a third option further forward if needed would fill that gap nicely with Idah hopefully getting some chances to come off the bench in the first half of the season and maybe a loan in January. Also I actually think a season in the Championship would be the best thing for Cantwell, at his stage of development he needs regular games in a way the more experienced players don't, so a signing that gives us options in that position and potentially allows him to go out and get the experience he needs would be good news in my book. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

"Just seems a rather  uncompromising statement to make."

Not really, and I did just say the opening game.By all accounts we stand very little chance of getting a result at Anfield whatever. In this respect I feel that it would be for the better to resort to our known strengths of team spirit and player cohesion in order to give us the best chance. What we know as opposed to the unknown.

Broado, i wasnt having a go, just offering up the scenario that if Bowen IS an improvement on Argos in every way(including buying into the Club Ethos) then it would be daft not to play him....as often as possible. Personally i like Onel, he is breath of fresh air in the world of millionaire players who wouldnt be seen dead in Argos....unless they were paid.

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

"By that kind of logic, if Ngolo  Kante decided that he wanted to play for us, the Tom Trybulls place would be secure.":classic_biggrin:

That's a bit unfair Wcc. We can all quote multi-million pound players with bags of top level experience in this context. Bowen has only played a handful of PL games and is virtually as unproven at that level as any of our squad. At least you didn't cite Lionel Messi.

Not unfair at all Broado,  i just gave a player for player example to demonstrate the silliness of not recognising that our team COULD be improved, and any improvements to be utilised  from the start of the season. 

To back up my opinion, i will donate £ 10 to the (bona fide) Charity of your choice if DF picks the same team as v Villa last season BECAUSE ' they got us here'....or words to that effect. Promise not to try to wriggle out of my pledge if DF does in fact take a sentimental view on team selection. Willing to exclude Zimbo from this as he seems that he might be a little late returning due to an operation. i cant be fairer than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair enough.

I do feel that there's every chance of Farke picking that same team. It's the way he works.

I do not really see this as a decision based upon sentiment though but more one relying on the tried and tested and cashing in on the great team spirit that served us so well last season. I feel that one thing is for certain though and that is that there will be more chopping and changing this coming season than the last.

Of course pre-season is important and of course we could sign a superstar but I would be unhappy if DF wields the axe overmuch so early in the proceedings. 

From the above discussion Onel might seem vulnerable then, although some would eject Krul at the drop of a hat it seems. I do not really know enough of Bowen to assume he would be an instant improvement upon Hernadez but he would need to be hot property enough to demand a somewhat bigger fee than that mentioned.

Team selection for the opener will be a hot topic on this forum in about a couple of weeks time. It will be interesting to find out what others think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to agree with Broadstairs on this one, not for sentimental reasons, but for continuity. Buendia and Aarons didn't come straight into the line-up last season, in spite of the previous poor finish. Our strength last season was the instinctive understanding between players and that takes time to establish. Pre-season will help, but I expect us to start with players already ingrained into Farkeball. New players are likely to get their chances from the bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

I tend to agree with Broadstairs on this one, not for sentimental reasons, but for continuity. Buendia and Aarons didn't come straight into the line-up last season, in spite of the previous poor finish. Our strength last season was the instinctive understanding between players and that takes time to establish. Pre-season will help, but I expect us to start with players already ingrained into Farkeball. New players are likely to get their chances from the bench.

Better put than me that man.

One thing in Stuart Webber's last interview stood out for me and it was to do with signing players and the spiraling cost whereby even ordinary performers can fetch multi-millions.

He said, to effect, that you can indeed spend millions on "upgrading," but the difference in ability that you get compared with what we have is not worth the enormous outlay.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another link to a Belgian youngster, Dylan Mbayo:

https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nieuws/2019-07-10/reznicek-en-terki-moeten-lokeren-verlaten

Translates as follows:

During the preparation, especially Dylan Mbayo (17) stands out at Lokeren. The youngster leaves an excellent impression and that already generated interest. Wolverhampton, Hanover and Norwich City would like to get him, but Lokeren will not cooperate in a transfer.

Looking at him on Transfermarkt, he's a 17-year-old left winger who can also play right wing or up front. Obviously it could be complete conjecture, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

I'd rather have Jim Bowen...

(Can't believe three pages of this and not one of you did it 🙂)

You mean this guy?

image.png.700ffbbf7627858fcb826698b5adfcd7.png

"Yer BASTURDS yer"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Another link to a Belgian youngster, Dylan Mbayo:

https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nieuws/2019-07-10/reznicek-en-terki-moeten-lokeren-verlaten

Translates as follows:

During the preparation, especially Dylan Mbayo (17) stands out at Lokeren. The youngster leaves an excellent impression and that already generated interest. Wolverhampton, Hanover and Norwich City would like to get him, but Lokeren will not cooperate in a transfer.

Looking at him on Transfermarkt, he's a 17-year-old left winger who can also play right wing or up front. Obviously it could be complete conjecture, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

Think this one was reported a while back too so could be some legs in it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

I'd rather have Jim Bowen...

(Can't believe three pages of this and not one of you did it 🙂)

Here's what I think of that:

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

How does any read websites like that? 

Two pop up video adverts, a banner ad pinned to the bottom of the page, a massive thing for their instagram, all for about 4 sentences of actual 'content.'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

If we do sign Ontiveros, it would point towards Cantwell being loaned out to the Championship... or Ontiveros himself being loaned back to Malaga for a year. Still think any significant outlay is likely to be on a new DM and/or RB cover, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I know, the User Interface is dire but it's a slow news day. And this is the transfer rumour thread so some might have missed it and it's something to do whilst we... wait ✌️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

If we do sign Ontiveros, it would point towards Cantwell being loaned out to the Championship... or Ontiveros himself being loaned back to Malaga for a year. Still think any significant outlay is likely to be on a new DM and/or RB cover, though.

I don't know mate. We've been linked with 'The Vaccine' and now Bowen. Both wingers.

So, perhaps that is indeed an area we're looking at? Both could play on the left, so I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility. A few think we still have cash to splash on two fairly big money signings. Could be another decent winger and a DM. It's anyone's guess really!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expecting some more good news for 5pm. Lets see if the trend of releasing good news continues today...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jaberry2 said:

Expecting some more good news for 5pm. Lets see if the trend of releasing good news continues today...

Max?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See...told you all...exciting news. Pre season tickets on sale for game at Schalke. Not the exciting news I was expecting.

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, king canary said:

How does any read websites like that? 

Two pop up video adverts, a banner ad pinned to the bottom of the page, a massive thing for their instagram, all for about 4 sentences of actual 'content.'

I would guess many of us use Adblock so only see the 4 lines of content

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

I tend to agree with Broadstairs on this one, not for sentimental reasons, but for continuity. Buendia and Aarons didn't come straight into the line-up last season, in spite of the previous poor finish. Our strength last season was the instinctive understanding between players and that takes time to establish. Pre-season will help, but I expect us to start with players already ingrained into Farkeball. New players are likely to get their chances from the bench.

Not sure this comparison really works- Farke started Krul, Marshall, Pukki and Rhodes all of whom were new signings on the first day of last season. 

 

11 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

I do feel that there's every chance of Farke picking that same team. It's the way he works.

 

I think it is worth remembering that we're in virgin territory here with Farke. The last two off-seasons have seen a large scale overhaul of the squad. This is the first time we'll really see how Farke works when it comes to bringing new signings into a settled squad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Not sure this comparison really works- Farke started Krul, Marshall, Pukki and Rhodes all of whom were new signings on the first day of last season."

 

His first season was a failure though, some call it a transition period but the end result was. somewhat of an humiliation.

We finished below Ipswich Town in the  league standings for goodness sake.

Changes needed making and we lost Maddison as well, and Gunn was just a season's loan..

This last season's team has been so successful that any changes in it's make up need evaluating with the utmost scrutiny.

Besides,  Farke is everything in our eyes but he's not a tinkerman. He follows a winning formula.

 

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Besides,  Farke is everything in our eyes but he's not a tinkerman. He follows a winning formula.

 

He’s also not naive enough to think what was a winning formula in the Championship will necessarily work in the Premier League. If he believes based on what he sees in pre-season that we will be better with new players, I would expect him to pick them. Sentiment is all very well but it won’t beat Liverpool, only our very best team has a chance of doing that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...