Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

Surely our biggest trump card with regards a mutual swap/dosh deal is Nelson O?

I take it the big Nellie is still on our books. Seems a good fit for Hull.

Wages though? However, Marshall must have had a bit of a windfall following our promotion as well.

Oh Betty!

35 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Would he oust anyone from our starting eleven in your opinion folks?

If so - who?

This is Farke's big dilemna for the opener at Anfield, imo.

Does he stick with those who have done us so proud and who have built up this wonderful team spirit and togetherness OR does everybody start from scratch again and have to prove themselves in training before selection.

My feeling is start with the same eleven and reward them with the honour of playing in that prestigious game at Anfield in front of a 'billion' worldwide, with each of the new boys on the bench.

I'm not the manager though. Even a manager might deduce that our best chance of getting something from Liverpool is to stick with the successful formula from last season so I wouldn't be surprised if Farke takes my advice .... again.

Edit: Wrong tack.

Discussions re: the starting eleven for Liverpool are best left for later.

Bowen would seem to be a 'bench buy' initially surely. As CC pointed out, 'who would he replace?' and he won't come cheap.

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Apparently Nelson will be telling AEK Athens if he will accept their offer at some point today. 

Would be great to get the majority of his wages off the club’s books. 

That would be absolutely awesome. Did they make a loan or permanent deal? Presuming loan if you're saying 'majority' of his wages?

I really like Bowen, but can't see us spending this sort of money on him when we're so well stocked in the forward areas. But I think he's a really good young player.

28 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

That would be absolutely awesome. Did they make a loan or permanent deal? Presuming loan if you're saying 'majority' of his wages?

Permanent (but as he has one year left on his contract it doesn’t make a huge difference). 

Norwich will still have to subsidise his wages to an extent as no one is going to take the full cost on - especially with the promotion increase. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

I really like Bowen, but can't see us spending this sort of money on him when we're so well stocked in the forward areas. But I think he's a really good young player.

He’d been an improvement on Hernandez and as a home grown player I can see that being attractive. He has a very similar skill set to Buendia. 

If he’s available for under £12m then it is a really good value deal. Norwich have money to spend on one or two players and getting Bowen could be of real benefit. 

• Like 1

Not the most exciting of transfer rumours, but SSN are reporting that Diallang Jaiyesimi will be leaving on a season-long loan, with Portsmouth, Wycombe and Cambridge all interested in him. As he's 20 now and hasn't come close to the first team, I wouldn't imagine he'll be staying with us beyond the end of this season (his contract expires next summer according to Transfermarkt).

Bethnal, would he be an improvement on Onel? I may be a bit biased but on his day, Argos is a superb player and his improvement from first signing to last season was phenomenal. Do you not think he can still progress? Bowen isn’t proven at the top level and a completely different type of player IMHO.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Clint said:

Bethnal, would he be an improvement on Onel? I may be a bit biased but on his day, Argos is a superb player and his improvement from first signing to last season was phenomenal. Do you not think he can still progress? Bowen isn’t proven at the top level and a completely different type of player IMHO.

Yes I was a bit set a back by that.

Who makes such judgements? What is the criteria? How can it possibly be deduced once the yellow shirt is on?

Onel played his part on the field of play and is very much part of the team ethos. To dismiss him so lightly reeks of a need to be too clever by half. Onel has been a success at Norwich City, with knobs on.

Who knows? Bowen would cost £10m and he would need to be worth every penny of that in order to discard little old Onel.

This blanket summarising of players would seem to ignore the obvious, ie. if players fit into a system or club they thrive beyond 'League Management' (is that what it is?) expectations.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Thanks 1

No idea about the validity of the rumour but as I understand it Bowen is a kind of wing-striker, or a winger who can play as a striker. I have always thought of that kind of player as being doubly useful in what is very much a squad game.

As it stands we have only two strikers - Pukki and Drmic - who can be assumed to be Premier League quality. If Bowen can sort of play as a striker, or just be a goal threat from the wing, that would seem to fill the third-striker hole we still have, while providing more cover/competition out wide.

• Like 1

Ironically, Onel was terrible at Hull last time - he never tracked back at all....think Farke must have had a word his work rate since has been so much better and consequently, so has he.   Another one getting better and better.   He'll step up!     

Edited by ged in the onion bag
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Yes I was a bit set a back by that.

Who makes such judgements? What is the criteria? How can it possibly be deduced once the yellow shirt is on?

Onel played his part on the field of play and is very much part of the team ethos. To dismiss him so lightly reeks of a need to be too clever by half. Onel has been a success at Norwich City, with knobs on.

Who knows? Bowen would cost £10m and he would need to be worth every penny of that in order to discard little old Onel.

This blanket summarising of players would seem to ignore the obvious, ie. if players fit into a system or club they thrive beyond 'League Management' (is that what it is?) expectations.

I think we all need to acknowledge that we love the current Norwich team and the players, but also be open to the idea that there are better players out there who could go on to do even more with the club. 

I like Onel a lot, I’ve always been one for a pacy, tricky winger and Onel has been that guy for Norwich. Bowen isn’t that type of player, but he’s someone who scored 22 goals, from the wing, for a mid-table team and on top of that, he’s 22 and English. If it wasn’t for Hull’s mismanaged at owner level, he’d be a £20m+ player. If Norwich can get him, using Marshall as a makeweight, then it would be a great deal and an improvement to the starting XI. Last season Norwich lacked options from the bench in wide areas and Onel did have ups and downs over the season. 

I’m not suggesting Onel is cast aside but Norwich have to assess EVERY player in the first team and see if there is an improvement that can be made - that is how you progress. 

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Not the most exciting of transfer rumours, but SSN are reporting that Diallang Jaiyesimi will be leaving on a season-long loan, with Portsmouth, Wycombe and Cambridge all interested in him. As he's 20 now and hasn't come close to the first team, I wouldn't imagine he'll be staying with us beyond the end of this season (his contract expires next summer according to Transfermarkt).

Think he's in Carlton Morris territory as ultimately a Championship/League 1 guy.  Arguably the only player we managed to get playing regularly for a English league team last season, started really well at Yeovil, but suffered a horrible injury in October which finished his season.

BYG: 

"I think we all need to acknowledge that we love the current Norwich team and the players, but also be open to the idea that there are better players out there who could go on to do even more with the club."

Yes, I fully agree and am not being critical of you and it would surely be a very good move for City to buy this player but statistics do not score goals.

It's not just "love" with Argos it's the fact that at times he has been superb for us, scored some amazing goals and been 100%part of our success.

Why, at this moment in time threaten this success story with a £10m investment when Onel could only get better?

He needs that chance, along with so many of the others.

The PL is not just the top six clubs after all.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I think Daniel is going to have to make more use of squad rotation/subs this season. We're certainly getting in more good options to enable him to do this. It's going to be interesting!

1 minute ago, ron obvious said:

I think Daniel is going to have to make more use of squad rotation/subs this season. We're certainly getting in more good options to enable him to do this. It's going to be interesting!

It's almost bound to happen. To be fair, we had a very strong squad right through last season - the bench was often awesome - and the only reason we didn't rotate that much is because the team kept winning or at least kept picking up points.  This season, we are almost bound to have mixed results and that will test the squad and the head coach much more...unless of course we carry on the form of last season and keep winning/drawing and avoiding defeats. Now wouldn't that be nice!

Agree LDC, but it's something he hasn't done thus far & I reckon he'll have to tweak his approach - & (obviously) we don't know how successful he'll be at doing so. But he's a smart guy so my money's on his getting it right PDQ (fingers crossed!).

Bowen would be a great addition to the squad but unless we've got a defensive midfield equivalent of a Pukki or Zimmermann lined up I just can't see us spending that sort of premium on a position where we're already pretty strong.

57 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think we all need to acknowledge that we love the current Norwich team and the players, but also be open to the idea that there are better players out there who could go on to do even more with the club. 

I like Onel a lot, I’ve always been one for a pacy, tricky winger and Onel has been that guy for Norwich. Bowen isn’t that type of player, but he’s someone who scored 22 goals, from the wing, for a mid-table team and on top of that, he’s 22 and English. If it wasn’t for Hull’s mismanaged at owner level, he’d be a £20m+ player. If Norwich can get him, using Marshall as a makeweight, then it would be a great deal and an improvement to the starting XI. Last season Norwich lacked options from the bench in wide areas and Onel did have ups and downs over the season. 

I’m not suggesting Onel is cast aside but Norwich have to assess EVERY player in the first team and see if there is an improvement that can be made - that is how you progress. 

Agreed.

Onel is pacey, tricky and talented but also inconsistent and has questionable decision making. He can be improved on and Bowen would potentially do that while also giving us further striker options.

Bowen was one of the better non premier League owned players in the Championship last season, along with James.,..and he went to Man u for how much? £15 M! So given that although a little premier League tax applies, the Man u tax  doesn't. Bethno is right, 10-14M£ , with or without makeweight player (s) would be decent business.  All our players are in for a very hard working season, we need cover in all positions  ,JB would be a very useful signing. 

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

No idea about the validity of the rumour but as I understand it Bowen is a kind of wing-striker, or a winger who can play as a striker. I have always thought of that kind of player as being doubly useful in what is very much a squad game.

As it stands we have only two strikers - Pukki and Drmic - who can be assumed to be Premier League quality. If Bowen can sort of play as a striker, or just be a goal threat from the wing, that would seem to fill the third-striker hole we still have, while providing more cover/competition out wide.

No idea where we stand in terms of money - how much we have spent of however much we have set aside. Purely on transfer fees we have shelled out next to nothing, but  it seems as if one year of Fahrmann is costing us the equivalent of a decent-sized fee. A pure guess is that we have enough still for one biggish transfer, but that money, if it exists, might well be earmarked for other positions.

Edited by PurpleCanary

Well it's  decision then it's it?

We love these players, we love their contribution to the cause, we love the team ethos and we love the fact that they re clearly totally NCFC in every conceivable way possible  .. including their shopping preferences.

Do we do a "Malky on them or do we stick with what has been of proven success?

Bowen might be the next thing since sliced bread but I, for one, would never wish the likes of him to be preferred in the line up that begins the Liverpool game.

16 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

We love these players, we love their contribution to the cause, we love the team ethos and we love the fact that they re clearly totally NCFC in every conceivable way possible  .. including their shopping preferences.

Bowen might be the next thing since sliced bread but I, for one, would never wish the likes of him to be preferred in the line up that begins the Liverpool game.

What!! ??Even if he proves to be a superior player in every aspect to Argos during preseason? 

I'm not saying he will be, even if he comes. 

Just seems a rather  uncompromising statement to make.

By that kind of logic, if Ngolo  Kante decided that he wanted to play for us, the Tom Trybulls place would be secure.:classic_biggrin:

31 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

A proven success in the championship might not be one in the prem, it’s about who does the best pre season 

51 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Malky wasn’t given a new contract and left the club, no one is suggesting that Onel, or anyone else who made a significant contribution to the promotion, should leave the club.

Your logic would mean players like Dean Ashton shouldn’t have been signed as it would displace Mattius Svensson. 

I don’t think there needs to be massive overhaul throughout the squad, just additional bits of quality added where it is available. That is the principle behind the Fahrmann signing. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Malky wasn’t given a new contract and left the club, no one is suggesting that Onel, or anyone else who made a significant contribution to the promotion, should leave the club.

Your logic would mean players like Dean Ashton shouldn’t have been signed as it would displace Mattius Svensson. 

I don’t think there needs to be massive overhaul throughout the squad, just additional bits of quality added where it is available. That is the principle behind the Fahrmann signing. 

"Malky wasn’t given a new contract and left the club ..."

You know what I mean.

It would break my heart to think that Hernandez would be dropped for the opening fixture at Anfield.

Of course we need to strengthen but any additions should bide their time, imo.

It's not just sentiment or loyalty it's a decision based upon a success that can already be chalked up.

Never invalidate a wonderful team cohesion is my mantra. Never desert the known for the unknown. It's fundamental in my book. The thin end of the wedge. If it's not broken don't fix it  ...if you want endless meaningful sayings. 

It's not as if the known product is that bad after all..

The Premier League is not just the big six.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I agree that the players who got us there deserve their chance and they will get it. It’s much more of a squad game at PL level and we will need competition for places, injures and rotation. Every player that deserves it will have plenty of minutes on the pitch but we do need added quality, but that doesn’t mean anyone is getting dropped. If this lad is available at the prices quoted on here then in today’s market it’s a no brainer

30 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

"Malky wasn’t given a new contract and left the club ..."

You know what I mean.

It would break my heart to think that Hernandez would be dropped for the opening fixture at Anfield.

Of course we need to strengthen but any additions should bide their time, imo.

It's not just sentiment or loyalty it's a decision based upon a success that can already be chalked up.

Never invalidate a wonderful team cohesion is my mantra. Never desert the known for the unknown. It's fundamental in my book. The thin end of the wedge. If it's not broken don't fix it  ...if you want endless meaningful sayings. 

It's not as if the known product is that bad after all..

The Premier League is not just the big six.

By that logic, we'd never have appointed Farke and Webber in the first place.

It wouldn't break my heart if Onel wasn't in the starting XI at Anfield; if we signed a better player who gave us a better chance of getting a result (in Farke's opinion), I'd take it.

We'll see more rotation, and more often (I expect) we'll see an attacking player sacrificed to give us more bite in midfield.

Nothing personal against Onel, I adore the fella. In the event that he (or any other key player) was dropped, I'd expect them to show the same attitude that's got us to where we are; knuckle down in training, give 100% every time you get on the pitch, and be proud and privileged to be a part of it.

Look at Jordan Rhodes; signed with much fanfare and was seen as a guaranteed goalscorer in the Championship. Never once threw his toys out the pram, and was great when he was called upon. Ditto Klose, ditto Tettey, ditto Cantwell... you get the picture.