Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

17 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

Oh absolutely, even though we got our transfers in the past horribly horribly wrong, one thing I did like about those windows was the amount of speculation and angst - recall the McCormack fiasco or when we chased a number of wingers only to end up with Wildschutt.

Was a lot of fun I can't deny.

These days the transfers have been good just a shame we hear nothing until it lands!

I'm not going to complain though, the business last few years has been.. well we all know how it's panned out 🙂

Ah yes, the Ross McCormack rumours, I remember that. Whatever happened to him? Is he still at Villa?

• Like 1

McCormack was more than rumours, we almost spent a lot of money on him. Think the last thing I heard about him was being loaned out to an Australian team and playing up front with Usain Bolt.

Edited by KeiranShikari
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

McCormack was more than rumours, we almost spent a lot of money on him. Think the last thing I heard about him was being loaned out to an Australian team and playing up front with Usain Bolt.

I was horrified with how much was being asked for a player of his age, fortunately we missed out and likely dodged a massive bullet. Funny how things change because he couldn’t be less of a 2019 Norwich City signing now.

4 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

Last thing I heard was he couldn't leave his house in Oz as he couldn't find his door keys...

I just looked it up on Wikipedia - he’s at Motherwell with a massive 3 appearances and 0 goals to his name!

• Haha 1

There's also a story about him that came out recently and, should Villa gain promotion to the Premier League, his wages will rise to a massive £70,000 a week 😮

Not bad for a chubby funster who has done absolutely bullocks all for that club... Especially this season.

Just goes to show the dangers of getting an older player signed up on lengthy, expensive contracts with various clauses.

Must have had a bloody good agent!

1 minute ago, BobLoz3 said:

There's also a story about him that came out recently and, should Villa gain promotion to the Premier League, his wages will rise to a massive £70,000 a week 😮

Not bad for a chubby funster who has done absolutely bullocks all for that club... Especially this season.

Just goes to show the dangers of getting an older player signed up on lengthy, expensive contracts with various clauses.

Same agent as Naismith’s I reckon, Bob!

• Haha 1

Rhodes wants to Play here Next season , He loves the area , so it will just be a game of chess of how and what Sheff weds will do with his contract , 

Also about Rumours they are very hit and miss at the moment 

I have heard at least one player has had a medical here that was a week or so ago , maybe waiting for his contract runs out to Announce ? 

12 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj6q7Wi37DiAhWRxoUKHSDHDtwQzPwBegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hitc.com%2Fen-gb%2F2019%2F05%2F19%2Freport-ross-mccormack-to-earn-70000-a-week-if-aston-villa-win-pr%2F&psig=AOvVaw1fuMzCARsReaO-9tCrHLeL&ust=1558669705928189

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

As soon as I read other PL clubs are interested in a player, I think “That’s us outbid then”. Am I being unnecessarily pessimistic? 

Edited by Nuff Said
Speelibg

6 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

As soon as I read other PL clubs are interested in a player, I think “That’s is outbid then”. Am I being unnecessarily pessimistic? 

I think you may be!

From the club’s listed within the article only Sheffield United is a Premier League club. I am not convinced we would be outbid by them. Moreover, their internal wrangling over club ownership may well prevent early activity in the transfer market.

More than that, I suspect that our brilliant scouting team, along with Stuart Webber at the helm, will announce a few surprise captures well before other clubs can get near them.

OTBC

I can see Will Vaulks (CM for Rotherham) coming here, especially as we've given Carlton Morris on loan to Rotherham recently. Highly regarded Central Midfielder who's attracting a bit of attention from Norwich & Sheffield UTD, amongst a few other champ teams.

Some good points here. Am I right in thinking that Webber said he likes to get transfer business done as early as possible? I wouldn’t be surprised to see a signing announced very soon.

21 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I can see Will Vaulks (CM for Rotherham) coming here, especially as we've given Carlton Morris on loan to Rotherham recently. Highly regarded Central Midfielder who's attracting a bit of attention from Norwich & Sheffield UTD, amongst a few other champ teams.

I remember this being touted a while back now - anyone heard anything more? Am I right in thinking he's a DM? I just saw Cardiff are after him so is he any better than we already have, i.e. Tettey, Thompson and Trybull?

Yes your right. His name has cropped up previously. I wonder whether we're first in line for an option on it due to our continued links with Rotherham. A player probably capable at playing in the Prem and would provide good competition at a relatively small cost. Could see this being a Norwich signing. Time will tell. I see the Pinkun have picked up on it now

The Vaulks story sounds like the agent or the club trying to start an auction. Would expect him to end up at a midtable or playoff level Championship club.

Certainly an easy link, seeing as we sent scouts to watch him in January. Would fit the mold, but obviously a question mark whether he can make the step up. The Ajayi link disappeared reasonably quickly as well. He might of been a good fit and is a versatile player. Arguably Rotherham's best two players right there.

Problem with Vaulks is, he isn’t a particularly good passer of the ball and doesn’t have good technique. Farke has always preferred midfielders who can maintain possession and receive the ball under pressure - neither are things Vaulks has ever shown he can do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

I remember this being touted a while back now - anyone heard anything more? Am I right in thinking he's a DM? I just saw Cardiff are after him so is he any better than we already have, i.e. Tettey, Thompson and Trybull?

I don’t know much about him to be honest, Hipster - admittedly my research was a bit half ar5ed but from what I can he’s not a defensive midfielder, he operates far more forward than that.

We’re certainly being linked with many young DM from the championship at the moment though. Phillips, Harper, etc.

Now watch us go and sign some young DM from Argentina’s second division!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Some good points here. Am I right in thinking that Webber said he likes to get transfer business done as early as possible? I wouldn’t be surprised to see a signing announced very soon.

Surely everyone would prefer to get things done sooner rather than later? Sadly the domino nature of things mean it rarely happens. I do think we have been quite cute where it’s possible to help things along, like with McLean’s loan back and getting Heise six months early but sometimes you just have to wait for the earlier links in the chain to complete.

I'm not sure how much of this is paper talk, if he was that good there would have been more interest and a deal sewn up by now. I might have been more enthusiastic about him if we were still in the Championship but from relegated to League One to the Premiership is a big jump. We might have been interested in January, hence the link but I think that ship has sailed. 

• Like 1

Secondary stories are catching my eye too - like Trippier rumours on leaving spurs and whether they could target enticing Aarons.   There are options out there to replace him (Justin James, the french youngster) but my preference would be to keep our starman.

However that may change if the deal is substantial enough - cashing in on one to fund other improvements is a tough but valid option if a difficult balancing act.

Say we got some mental offer like £50m for Max and off he went, makes me wonder if Rhys James would be available next season on loan to make up for that?

Personally I think Max is way too vital for the way we play in overloading the flanks to even consider letting him leave for any money when our prem status basically hinges on him being here but being realistic everyone has a price.

We thought Maddison leaving would spell trouble but it ended up quite the opposite!