Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

As Bethnal has said, every week that goes by, Sheffield Weds are paying him another 40k. They will get more desperate to get him off their books the closer it gets to the transfer deadline. I think we’ll now sign him for a minimal fee

Could well be that they are letting the story out to test the reaction of other sides (and supporters), if nothing doing surely a move is the best option.

40 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Pretty sure we gave them a massive discount on Hooper, a player we wanted off our wage bill.

"We gave them a massive discount on Hooper" is one way of looking at it. We sold at a loss to free up his wages is another. I doubt there was any discussion along the lines of "buy now and get 30% off".

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

"We gave them a massive discount on Hooper" is one way of looking at it. We sold at a loss to free up his wages is another. I doubt there was any discussion along the lines of "buy now and get 30% off".

reckon it was more than 30%.

Juve have Kean, Mandzukic, Higuain and Dybala and don’t really want any of them. They change strikeforce compulsively in any case and Sarri wants to base the attack this year around Ronaldo, with Lukaku suitable as a weekly flat-track bully.

Kean they weren’t desperate to move, but he has a good plusvalenza (paper profit on what they paid = nothing) and Kean wants to now play every week, which Juve couldn’t and wouldn’t offer him and he knew it. He was also low paid by Juve standards and his agent -  Mino Raiola - is an informed and ruthless operator. Everton is seen as a good stepping stone. 

Kean is well suited to the Premier and Everton may - for once as Bethnal says - have done good business here. Raiola certainly has (again).

Parma

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been mentioned, McBurnie is on the verge of a £20 million move to Sheff Utd! Taking the money to one side, he's a good signing for them. 

9 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, McBurnie is on the verge of a £20 million move to Sheff Utd! Taking the money to one side, he's a good signing for them. 

Is he though at £20m?

I’d argue that there were a lot better centre forwards in the championship last season who would be better spending £20m on, that’s assuming they are for sale of course and that Sheff Utd haven’t already tried them.

Shows how crazy transfers have got though as ordinary players are now going for many millions!?

Mind you that makes the resale value on some of ours look very healthy 👍🏻

12 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Missed the bit about money aside 🤦🏻‍♂️

The value of any player is clearly whatever the market decides - there’s an obvious premium to being in the PL.  

With the transfer window closing in one week we seem to be starting to see things ratcheting up a bit, if with very little (apparently) involving us.

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

The value of any player is clearly whatever the market decides - there’s an obvious premium to being in the PL.  

With the transfer window closing in one week we seem to be starting to see things ratcheting up a bit, if with very little (apparently) involving us.

Agree but it's mad to think that a player like McBurnie can command that kind of fee. 

It will be interesting to see whether our philosophy of harmony in the camp and no big players coming in on big wages fairs against what Sheff Utd and in particular Villa are doing. 

Villa will be putting out a whole new team soon of players they didn't own last season 🤷‍♂️

With less than a week to go with the transfer window, I am sure I am like many and scouring for anything about a new DM.

I think earlier in this window many highlighted the need for another wide player, a second striker, cover for RB and competition for Krul. In fact I would even say before our promotion in the last month many would see this is the key position.

You would have to say for the outlay to bring in a fantastic prospect from Man City, an international striker, a young RB still to show his promise and a keeper with champions League experience is fantastic.

Let alone some of the great work with the U23 team, fantastic recruitment.

But....

I also recall that probably 80% of us saw the need for the defensive midfielder as the number priority. It seems there may have been the German midfielder that had played with Vrancic. But apart from that nothing, one rumour of Mikel which seemed like agent talk.

Now I find myself concerned as this really is an Achilles heel to our season. 

Now I am not a Ripping Yarns football fan, Michael Palin returning home to smash up the house after a heavy loss. But I am a positive nervous fan who worries that the Achilles heel is more than just a concentration error it is that we are missing a highly important position on the field who can break up breaking plays and bring calm when others break on us.

It can be an expensive signing but I do hope that with a few days to go that we push all we can, as I think we are all aware this position is light in our squad.

• Like 1

Sorry what I mean by a concentration error is that it can happen. I expect it to happen but it is usually rare and if persistent the player can be dropped.

We just don't have the player for this position.

Tom Trybull is very good at what he does, I think again he is very capable but I do feel we need a step up if we are to compete in those games with the West Ham's, Burnley's, Wolves etc.

The top 6 are just 'free hits' that hopefully don't see us concede too many. The relegation mini league I think we have enough.

But it is that next level up the mid table teams, we have enough to compete but with a new DM, physical, athletic, great reader, persistent, a nuisance etc I think we stand an even better chance against those teams.

So hopefully this thread stays near the top from now.

The Daily Fail did a transfer business review of all prem league clubs yesterday. The only name linked again with us was 19 year old Bolton midfielder, Dennis Politic. Don't know if he's a CDM or whether he's good, or experienced, enough to go straight into the first team squad.

I feel there will one or two more additions before the window shuts. Farke's comment post Atalanta along the lines of we'll see what happens over the next ten 10 days when asked about the starting line up for Liverpool hinted, to me, something may be in the pipeline.

On 31/07/2019 at 19:28, FenwayFrank said:

As Bethnal has said, every week that goes by, Sheffield Weds are paying him another 40k. They will get more desperate to get him off their books the closer it gets to the transfer deadline. I think we’ll now sign him for a minimal fee

so who will pay the £40k per week remaining on his contract ?

Yes true, with our team preparing for Liverpool as soon as Saturday is over, in regard to watching tape and scheming for them, it is getting tight.

Think we all know the Newcastle game is highly important due to their internal wranglings. Time to take advantage with those new players in and have them a bit more settled.

Politic would be for the u23 I recall from the reports and so unlikely a player to come into the first team.

9 minutes ago, Bill said:

so who will pay the £40k per week remaining on his contract ?

He will have a new, different, contract.

2 hours ago, smooth said:

With less than a week to go with the transfer window, I am sure I am like many and scouring for anything about a new DM.

I know I am. Less than a week to go and we haven’t had a sniff of any transfer rumours. Earlier in the window it was nice to at least be included in the rumour mill! Seems the papers have cottoned onto the fact we aren’t flush.

Then again Sam Byram largely came out of nowhere and I do expect a late surprise. Let’s hope that it isn’t the equivalent of the deadline day Bradley Johnson move...

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Looks like the Dennis Politic situation at Bolton has been resolved...

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/08/02/tt-potential-bargain-deal-eludes-norwich-as-bolton-reportedly-se/

As Bolton are still under administration I believe they would still have to accept any reasonable fee for Politic. So a couple of 100 thousand would probably get him if Norwich really wanted him.

4 hours ago, smooth said:

I think earlier in this window many highlighted the need for another wide player, a second striker, cover for RB and competition for Krul. In fact I would even say before our promotion in the last month many would see this is the key position.

You would have to say for the outlay to bring in a fantastic prospect from Man City, an international striker, a young RB still to show his promise and a keeper with champions League experience is fantastic.

Let alone some of the great work with the U23 team, fantastic recruitment.

But....

I also recall that probably 80% of us saw the need for the defensive midfielder as the number priority. It seems there may have been the German midfielder that had played with Vrancic. But apart from that nothing, one rumour of Mikel which seemed like agent talk.

Now I find myself concerned as this really is an Achilles heel to our season. 

Now I am not a Ripping Yarns football fan, Michael Palin returning home to smash up the house after a heavy loss. But I am a positive nervous fan who worries that the Achilles heel is more than just a concentration error it is that we are missing a highly important position on the field who can break up breaking plays and bring calm when others break on us.

It can be an expensive signing but I do hope that with a few days to go that we push all we can, as I think we are all aware this position is light in our squad.

This exactly. IMO we’ve got players in to strengthen the squad in all areas where it’s needed - except DM, but unfortunately DM was top of my list for where I want to see a quality addition in this transfer window.

a lot of our business has been done out of the blue with no leaks, so I’m still hopeful, but time is getting short.

4 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

This exactly. IMO we’ve got players in to strengthen the squad in all areas where it’s needed - except DM, but unfortunately DM was top of my list for where I want to see a quality addition in this transfer window.

a lot of our business has been done out of the blue with no leaks, so I’m still hopeful, but time is getting short.

Farke has said today he expects no new signings. 

Big risk in my opinion, but Farke has proven me wrong on a few occasions up to now.

And with that quote, my hopes for survival have diminished hugely. Genuinely shocked we aren’t spending big (by our standards) on a CDM. Can we really not afford £10m?

Edited by Excited Canary

I know we all desperately would like to see someone come in with 'Premiership class'. However, as has been said multiple times, I can't remember a time I felt so confident about having players in the squad already who can make the step up. In previous years I haven't felt this way and I guess the powers that be must have felt the same too back then, as we made multiple signings.

I really hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the **** if we don't sign any additional players. For now, we're all just going to have to get used to this I suppose.

When you look at the money that very ordinary players have been signed for in this window, I am not sure I'd want us to go that way anyhow. Let's see how our boys do, hey?

Edited by BobLoz3
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Big risk in my opinion, but Farke has proven me wrong on a few occasions up to now.

What managers say to the press and what they really think are often two different things. I'm sure he's in Webber's ear asking for reinforcements. He'd be mad/naive not to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

What managers say to the press and what they really think are often two different things. I'm sure he's in Webber's ear asking for reinforcements. He'd be mad/naive not to.

I see no reason for him to make such a definitive statement unless he believed it to be true. 

Obviously things could change between now and the close of the window, but as things stand, it seems Norwich are done in the market.

26 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I wonder if they tried to sign someone but couldn't. Is it better to buy no one than the player you really want?

1 minute ago, Dogbo Daggins said:

I wonder if they tried to sign someone but couldn't. Is it better to buy no one than the player you really want?

I said in another post that I do respect Norwich's approach to not just bringing in anyone. However, I do wonder if too much money was used on other things and maybe the squad should have been the priority.