Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

41 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

There is a little struggle for Norwich that with the European market closing a month after the domestic one, teams in Germany etc aren't as close to finalising their squads as they are in England and thus players who Norwich might be interested in haven't become available yet. Things here will inevitably 'heat up' over the next 2 weeks and players who weren't available suddenly will be, Aleix Garcia being a prime example of a player Man City wouldn't have let go a couple of weeks ago, but might be minded to now.

As an aside, I hope FIFA/UEFA look into this in the future. I'm personally a fan of closing the window before the season starts, but it does put the leagues who close theirs early at a disadvantage. 

Maybe there could be a European-wide rule within a few years to close all windows simultaneously in mid-August, or possibly the second week. This would be a nice middle ground as some leagues start their seasons at the beginning of August and some nearer the end.

25 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Just thrown in Danny Drinkwater on another thread.    Seems of good personality, has proved himself, has experience.    Is surplus at Chelsea and can leave!   Worth an enquiry???  

His wages would be far beyond our ceiling.

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

As an aside, I hope FIFA/UEFA look into this in the future. I'm personally a fan of closing the window before the season starts, but it does put the leagues who close theirs early at a disadvantage. 

Maybe there could be a European-wide rule within a few years to close all windows simultaneously in mid-August, or possibly the second week. This would be a nice middle ground as some leagues start their seasons at the beginning of August and some nearer the end.

Well, all the leagues did used to finished at roughly the same time - it was England that decided to break away from that. Most leagues don't really feel it is a priority or an issue and if England want to do different then that is fine by them, but they have to deal with the negative (and positive) consequences. 

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Well, all the leagues did used to finished at roughly the same time - it was England that decided to break away from that. Most leagues don't really feel it is a priority or an issue and if England want to do different then that is fine by them, but they have to deal with the negative (and positive) consequences.

Yeah, Italy tried it last year by closing mid-August, the day before the Serie A season began. This year though they've reverted back to the European standard, which hints that they think it's a good idea but places them at a disadvantage. Maybe if the other big leagues all think likewise, then we could see them change together.

Just been reading the MEN reckons they will listen to offers for him, has just had 2 seasons out on loan in Spain; I don’t know a great deal about the lad but imagine most Man City cast-offs would be pretty decent!

Fair do's Bethnal, he's an excellent shout. Assuming it was a loan shows how much buying a player from Man City comes to registering as a possibility in my mind!!

Ahmed El Messaoudi.  Defensive midfielder.  Was on loan at Fortuna Sittard last season.  Webber will definitely be aware of him. Registered to KV Mechelen who have been a bit naughty recently.  The sort of realistic signing we should be looking at.  Relatively speaking, he wouldn't cost the earth.  He looks good in green and yellow too, which is a bonus 😉

idfs180622_for_0012_w.jpg

Messaoudi_IdlH.jpg?maxheight=460&maxwidt

I wonder what sort of fee Man City would be looking at for Garcia? Although only a year left on his contract (at present), surely they’d still ask for a figure that we’d simply not pay under this current (excellent) regime?

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I wonder what sort of fee Man City would be looking at for Garcia? Although only a year left on his contract (at present), surely they’d still ask for a figure that we’d simply not pay under this current (excellent) regime?

Hard to know really, I would expect something less than £10m, which should be achievable - especially if Man City are flexible on the structuring of the deal. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Hard to know really, I would expect something less than £10m, which should be achievable - especially if Man City are flexible on the structuring of the deal. 

That’s what I was thinking, Bethnal, but I wonder if we’d be prepared to even shell out as much as near £10mil on one player? (Though more likely if structured, I totally agree). I knew we were likely to spend little this particular window, but even I have been very very surprised with exactly ‘how little’ to date. Farke, Webber and the scouts have done, in my eyes, another summer of phenomenal business thus far, all for reportedly under €5mil. Given we’re likely only looking for one more player now, the infamous CDM, it’s looking quite likely our entire outlay this summer on the first team will be for perhaps as little as €10mil?

9 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

That’s what I was thinking, Bethnal, but I wonder if we’d be prepared to even shell out as much as near £10mil on one player? (Though more likely if structured, I totally agree). I knew we were likely to spend little this particular window, but even I have been very very surprised with exactly ‘how little’ to date. Farke, Webber and the scouts have done, in my eyes, another summer of phenomenal business thus far, all for reportedly under €5mil. Given we’re likely only looking for one more player now, the infamous CDM, it’s looking quite likely our entire outlay this summer on the first team will be for perhaps as little as €10mil?

New contracts can be very expensive, so to do 13 in one summer is a significant financial undertaking, and one that is hard to really get a good estimate of how much it is costing Norwich. 

I suspect that should the club really want to, they could spend quite a big chunk on Aleix Garcia, safe in the knowledge that he is 22 and would retain some resale value should the club get relegated. Will be interesting to watch the last 10 days or so of the window - Dave Freezer in the Q&A today seemed pretty convinced that Norwich would use the last domestic loan spot to get someone (obviously that can't be Garcia). 

• Like 2

I’m guessing we’re 100% out of the equation for our former loanee, as given that Sheff Wed were or are apparently interested in Ben Marshall, it’s a wonder we didn’t do some sort of swap deal for Jordan Rhodes should he still be in Webber and Farke’s thoughts? I’m guessing that they’ve seen enough of Adam Idah already in preseason to make that not the case...

There's still time for more Norwich business.

Kalvin Phillips, Maupay and McBurnie haven't moved yet, and I'd expect Villa/Sheff United to be picking them all up.

Just now, Icecream Snow said:

There's still time for more Norwich business.

Kalvin Phillips, Maupay and McBurnie haven't moved yet, and I'd expect Villa/Sheff United to be picking them all up.

At over £20m each, I wouldn't be so sure.

Villa have signed two new central midfielders, so think their pursuit of Phillips is dead. Sheff U have always wanted one of either McBurnie or Maupay - but seems they can't afford either. Things might change as the deadline approaches and buying and selling clubs start to panic a little. Brentford have decided to not sell so easily this summer, and to really push on for a play-off place. If that doesn't look likely in January, then is when they will decide to cash in on Maupay.

20 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

New contracts can be very expensive, so to do 13 in one summer is a significant financial undertaking, and one that is hard to really get a good estimate of how much it is costing Norwich. 

I suspect that should the club really want to, they could spend quite a big chunk on Aleix Garcia, safe in the knowledge that he is 22 and would retain some resale value should the club get relegated. Will be interesting to watch the last 10 days or so of the window - Dave Freezer in the Q&A today seemed pretty convinced that Norwich would use the last domestic loan spot to get someone (obviously that can't be Garcia). 

Where have you heard about the interest in Garcia? I have seen only supporter chat on him rather than any further credible source

7 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Can't believe Phillips hasn't been picked up...... there's still hope 🤞

He's meant to be trying to push through a deal with Villa for £15million. Cant see us being in for him.

6 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

He's meant to be trying to push through a deal with Villa for £15million. Cant see us being in for him.

That was before Villa signed two other players, and Leeds saying they wanted closer to £25m. Bournemouth were also interested but signed Billing instead - expect Phillips will remain at Leeds this season. Latest news is that he isn't actively pushing for a move anymore.

With Leicester wanting £90m for Maguire, and Dunk being rumoured at £45m makes me wonder how much Godfrey would be worth (especially with a good Premiership season under his belt)

Just seen that Everton are about to buy Moise Kean from Juventus-fee reported to be ‘up to £36 million’. That seems cheap for a 19 year old with that amount of talent.

5 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Just seen that Everton are about to buy Moise Kean from Juventus-fee reported to be ‘up to £36 million’. That seems cheap for a 19 year old with that amount of talent.

Emi Buendía 👍

25 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Think the view at Juventus is that he has reached his peak and won’t go on to deliver the huge promise he had. 

Will be interesting to see who is right. Everton don’t tend to do good transfer business though. 

16 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Think the view at Juventus is that he has reached his peak and won’t go on to deliver the huge promise he had. 

Will be interesting to see who is right. Everton don’t tend to do good transfer business though. 

Bethnal, has the racism row, in which Juve didn't exactly back Kean to the hilt, at least not straight away, played a part here?

4 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I agree. Juventus have apparently insisted on a buy-back clause though, which may have reduced the fee.

Just saw that - I guess we may have made a cheeky offer to effectively take over his contract, which must be a pretty big drain on the Sheff Weds resources.  Tbh the fee they paid for him is somewhat irrelevant.

6 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

No idea if it's true but the rumour that we tried to sign Rhodes on a free transfer is pretty funny.

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich-city-transfer-rumours-jordan-rhodes-1-6192537

How many players have we let go in this nature during recent years? We wanted them off the wages, like sheffs do. Their owner is so crazy, he probs wants 9mil!!