Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Welcome  to here from Bilious!!! Though if you've read here before you'll know his schtick.  He is bonkers. So best ignored untill you need a laugh....a  bit  like soggy bog roll , If you get my drift.... it's hilarious but then you've got shoite on your hands.  If you're are in fact as accused, well done for getting under the Bilious radar for a while anyway. He turns on everyone  eventually  , maybe he lacks true self worth. 

As this you wcorkio or RTB ?

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

Until a transfer is complete then it is meaningless.

If some of the better players will move on this summer then better we sign players now, than when we are seen as 'awash' with money.

Now, this I actually agree with you on, it's always preferable to bed players in earlier in the window anyway, but like you say if we are to sell Aarons, Godfrey etc for £20million plus this will then have a knock on effect of clubs wanting higher fees from us, and agents wanting more in the way of fees too.

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Assists is one of the more meaningless stats going.

Player X could play his striker in one on one 5 times in a game but the striker misses all 5 chances, while player Y could do a 5 yard lay off to a midfielder who bangs a worldy into the top corner from 25 yards. Player Y is the one who comes out of the game with an assist.

That’s pretty far fetched-even Drmic couldn’t miss 5 one on ones 🤣🤣🤣

"Assists is one of the more meaningless stats going.

Player X could play his striker in one on one 5 times in a game but the striker misses all 5 chances, while player Y could do a 5 yard lay off to a midfielder who bangs a worldy into the top corner from 25 yards. Player Y is the one who comes out of the game with an assist."

that is over complicating it

An 'assist; in all of its stupidity is merely the last player to touch the ball before someone else scores.

No account of the former players intent or any measurable contribution.

How does this clearance merit anything other than as an accurate pass ?

Edited by Bill

2 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Advice I most definitely won't be taking from a fully paid up member of the board grisly *** club.

You make me look cheery.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Wouldn’t be that strange really. King Canary brought up the good example of Burnley getting promoted and only spending a few million on a player and then spending over £10m on Andre Gray on relegation.  

Norwich spent a lot on renewing contracts last summer as well as the £6m on repaying the Canary Bond. The club are considerably richer now than they were this time last year. 

Who was it who spent millions on Benik Afobe only to sell him days later for £3m profit? They were both relegated clubs weren't they?

Edited by Terminally Yellow

Anyway back on topic, Dennis Man a goer or what? Attacking midfielder as well as a winger and 7 goals this season. 6ft so obviously the club taking this physicality thing quite seriously as that Danish DM we are allegedly interested in is a bit of a unit.

Man U and Spurs interested in him a couple of years ago.

3 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Who was it who spent millions on Benik Afobe only to sell him days later for £3m profit? They were both relegated clubs weren't they?

Wolves had him on loan from Bournemouth when they were in the Championship with an option/obligation to buy for £10m. When they went up, they obviously deemed him not good enough for the Premier League so bought him for £10m and instantly shipped him out to Stoke for £12m.

40 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

You literally have a picture of Vladimir Putin winking. 

I misread that, wasn’t an image I wanted in my head

9 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I misread that, wasn’t an image I wanted in my head

Hilarious Spidy 

14 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Anyway back on topic, Dennis Man a goer or what? Attacking midfielder as well as a winger and 7 goals this season. 6ft so obviously the club taking this physicality thing quite seriously as that Danish DM we are allegedly interested in is a bit of a unit.

Man U and Spurs interested in him a couple of years ago.

I think the club has recognised that the PL is just as robust' as the Championship - maybe not so clumsy though as getting past both Lewis for the first and McLean for the second demonstrated

I would expect Pukki to move on this summer, if Man is signed

1 hour ago, Bill said:

that is over complicating it

An 'assist; in all of its stupidity is merely the last player to touch the ball before someone else scores.

No account of the former players intent or any measurable contribution.

How does this clearance merit anything other than as an accurate pass ?

That's not accurate. An assist has to be a direct contribution to the goal. Huckerby's goal would not have registered as any player making an assist. 

The OPTA definition isn't written very clearly but there has to be an element of immediacy and direct contribution to the goal. I'm fairly confident that if a scorer takes 3 or more touches then no assist is awarded.

https://www.optasports.com/news/opta-s-event-definitions/

Goal Assist
The final touch (pass, pass-****-shot or any other touch) leading to the recipient of the ball scoring a goal. If the final touch (as defined in bold) is deflected by an opposition player, the initiator is only given a goal assist if the receiving player was likely to receive the ball without the deflection having taken place. Own goals, directly taken free kicks, direct corner goals and penalties do not get an assist awarded.

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Wouldn’t be that strange really. King Canary brought up the good example of Burnley getting promoted and only spending a few million on a player and then spending over £10m on Andre Gray on relegation.  

Norwich spent a lot on renewing contracts last summer as well as the £6m on repaying the Canary Bond. The club are considerably richer now than they were this time last year. 

Yep, very succinctly put.

Plus we have a lot of money to come in during the summer. Aarons, probably Cantwell, maybe Godfrey, maybe Lewis, maybe Buendia - there's an awful lot of cash there to put a pot together and have a real go at getting back up.

Man signing would probably signal Buendia being on his way - Don't see us spending that amount of money regularly so you'd think if we are going to do it then he would be the centrepiece to build around. Would be good business for the club as he could well be worth an awful lot more in a few years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

No clubs have used it for a long while now. It’s use was always a little over stated by SI who used it for good publicity.

Wasn't it the case that clubs used to use Prozone Recruit to assist with scouting and it had some sort of tie up with FM. 

But now Wyscout is the software/platform of choice for scouts? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

You literally have a picture of Vladimir Putin winking. 

I literally do, yes. 

And I'm assuming your username is a little nod to Alexander Litvinenko? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

18 minutes ago, kick it off said:

That's not accurate. An assist has to be a direct contribution to the goal. Huckerby's goal would not have registered as any player making an assist. 

The OPTA definition isn't written very clearly but there has to be an element of immediacy and direct contribution to the goal. I'm fairly confident that if a scorer takes 3 or more touches then no assist is awarded.

https://www.optasports.com/news/opta-s-event-definitions/

Goal Assist
The final touch (pass, pass-****-shot or any other touch) leading to the recipient of the ball scoring a goal. If the final touch (as defined in bold) is deflected by an opposition player, the initiator is only given a goal assist if the receiving player was likely to receive the ball without the deflection having taken place. Own goals, directly taken free kicks, direct corner goals and penalties do not get an assist awarded.

27 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think the club has recognised that the PL is just as robust' as the Championship - maybe not so clumsy though as getting past both Lewis for the first and McLean for the second demonstrated

I would expect Pukki to move on this summer, if Man is signed

Hope not. I wonder if he's more of a replacement for Cantwell, although Man is listed as a forward rather than a midfielder on the site I was looking at.

https://www.tablesleague.com/teams/steaua_bucuresti1/dennis_man/

Edited by Capt. Pants
link added

Perfectly accurate as it suggests the player knew in advance what the scorer was going to do. He didn't,

A judgement that is dependent on what the scorer (or not) does with the ball

So as said by KC it is not the quality of that pass, but that the recipient scored

Like accrediting a bingo caller with an 'assist' when ever someone wins - utter nonsense.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Perfectly accurate as it suggests the player knew in advance what the scorer was going to do. He didn't,

A judgement that is dependent on what the scorer (or not) does with the ball

So as said by KC it is not the quality of that pass, but that the recipient scored

Like accrediting a bingo caller with an 'assist' when ever someone wins - utter nonsense.

Totally agree with your point as to the illegitimacy of assists as a comparison metric - my point was more that the example you used of Huckerby would not have registered an assist 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I literally do, yes. 

And I'm assuming your username is a little nod to Alexander Litvinenko? 

You literally have a picture of a Russian dictator and bring up an assassination and you say I make you look cheery?

That’s almost as deluded as some of your football opinions.

Almost.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Good to see @Bethnal Yellow and Green and @BobLoz3 posting again, welcome back guys!

Would have posted way more had the forum not somehow kicked me out! As I said to ya elsewhere... Kept getting this weird nginx message! Wouldn't let me in. Anyhow. Good to be back! 

2 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

I'm  not sure, but is that DF tattooed on his left arm?

Can't be. He isn't on a horse.