Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

It sounds pretty certain that we had a bid accepted for the french winger, but I trust Bailey that we could not agree terms and the deal is dead. I suspect that the links to teams like Arsenal have convinced him to bide his time to get a bigger move.

2 hours ago, smooth said:

Just that DM we have been needing and wanting. Great work if all is completed and roll on.

The sooner he can be up to speed the better, if not against Liverpool then certainly building towards a starting place against Newcastle.

Farke's not going to drop anyone after getting 3 pts at Anfield.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Halesworth Canary said:

You still think ACM is still a possibility then BYG? Even after MB and pinkun denial of the intial story.  

The pink 'un, presumably tipped the wink by the club, was only denying that we had had a bid accepted. It wasn't saying we had not made a bid. But I guess Bailey would hardly be so definite right at the start of his new career unless he was certain!😜

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

The pink 'un, presumably tipped the wink by the club, was only denying that we had had a bid accepted. It wasn't saying we had not made a bid. But I guess Bailey would hardly be so definite right at the start of his new career unless he was certain!😜

I'm 99% certain Norwich made a bid in the last day or two. Unclear whether the bid was unacceptable or the player wasn't interested. However, it is hard to see Norwich going in so late if the player hadn't given them some sign of interest. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I'm 99% certain Norwich made a bid in the last day or two. Unclear whether the bid was unacceptable or the player wasn't interested. However, it is hard to see Norwich going in so late if the player hadn't given them some sign of interest. 

Apparently Norwich made a bid, Lorient liked the amount but the clubs couldn't agree the structure of the bid - Lorient wanting more upfront and in guaranteed payments. The offer is still on the table and ACM is prepared to move to Norwich - if his agent can put some pressure on Lorient they might accept before the deadline closes.

Looks very unlikely and Norwich aren't expecting it to happen.

7 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Apparently Norwich made a bid, Lorient liked the amount but the clubs couldn't agree the structure of the bid - Lorient wanting more upfront and in guaranteed payments. The offer is still on the table and ACM is prepared to move to Norwich - if his agent can put some pressure on Lorient they might accept before the deadline closes.

If he’s prepared to move here, we must make it happen - coupled with the Amadou signing, this could be the difference between a good season and a great season.

13 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

That actually sounds quite promising

4 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

If he’s prepared to move here, we must make it happen - coupled with the Amadou signing, this could be the difference between a good season and a great season.

Surely the risk is worth it, we have an abundance of talent that we can sell in the summer if we don't stay up and if he comes and performs his value will go up after a season in the Premier League so we probably wouldn't lose any money. 

Sounds to me like it's all done bar the haggling and now we'll see how good at poker Webber is. 

17 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Doesn’t sound like the accurate reading of the tea leaves given what’s been put out by people close to our club. But I’m secretly (desperately) hoping. He’s a Maddison type where a €7m investment turns into €40m

Just checking - has there been any reference on this thread so far to cars parked at a jaunty angle? 

Cone on people! Where’s your sense of tradition? 😡

13 minutes ago, Darth Vadis said:

That actually sounds quite promising

I don't think it is.

Lorient would have to shift their position and they aren't under any real pressure to do that - they can still sell ACM to the rest of Europe after tomorrow and clubs in France and Germany have been interested already this summer. 

This ACM saga is about "put your money where your mouth is"... Lorient want the dough and we are not prepared to pay... at least that is what I make of it.

Apparently we've lodged another bid for Vida. Doesnt want to leave Turkey apparently. Some random turkish news reports on twitter. Guessing we're low balling a few people with some potential late additions, whether this one is true is most likely doubtful.

Edited by jaberry2

Just had a thought with these loans with options to buy. With the £ as weak as it is this window, it’s clever to structure a deal to wait and pay a deal in € later in the hope it recovers. More shrewd business from the club. 

13 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I don't think it is.

Lorient would have to shift their position and they aren't under any real pressure to do that - they can still sell ACM to the rest of Europe after tomorrow and clubs in France and Germany have been interested already this summer. 

From what you’ve said it sounds as if it’s in our hands, with ACM being interested in moving here. I’m assuming there is no chance of Webber compromising on the offer and if so, no - not so promising.

Edited by Darth Vadis

2 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Just had a thought with these loans with options to buy. With the £ as weak as it is this window, it’s clever to structure a deal to wait and pay a deal in € later in the hope it recovers. More shrewd business from the club. 

Yeah, but (without wanting to start a second Brexit thread) you could make a pretty convincing argument that the pound won’t recover any time soon. 

3 minutes ago, WD40 said:

And then we leave with no deal and Amadou costs us £35m.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Yeah, but (without wanting to start a second Brexit thread) you could make a pretty convincing argument that the pound won’t recover any time soon. 

Yeah let’s not get into it but...depends on your perspective. Mine is it can’t get much worse!!

23 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

This is wild speculation on my part but I wonder if we wanted a deal tied into retaining premiership status or on appearances as we did with Amadou? 

If so we might have stretched it too far for Lorient to live with. Unlike Amadou, who wasn't going to be playing much this lad is a regular starter for his club and he's contracted till June 2021. They can just sit it out it if they want to plus they'd need to replace him. 

The other issue is that we have is we have Hernandez and potentially Cantwell or even Phillips who can play right side AM.

Maybe neither club is desperate enough to make this happen even though our analysis says he's the right player.

My own view is that if he's the right player then a guarantee isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference.

He either is or he isn't the right player and if we have agreed the price then he's worth the money. 

Its easy to think that every deal is the same but the reality is that they are all different and there is a need to remain flexible.

We can't expect every selling club to take the risks that are inherent in our purchase just because Sevilla accommodated us in this way on Amadou. 

A bank wouldn't make a bad loan just because it had a good guarantee. It either stacks up or it doesn't. The guarantee is nice to have and asking for one makes sense but you make the call on its merits.

If this is a no go we should just withdraw the offer. If we think this guy really is good then we should change our offer. 

15 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Yeah let’s not get into it but...depends on your perspective. Mine is it can’t get much worse!!

We’re going to Crete at the end of September - I hope you’re right!

14 minutes ago, Bonzo said:

The other issue is that we have is we have Hernandez and potentially Cantwell or even Phillips who can play right side AM.

I'm guessing you mean Roberts?

We've fallen into the trap of betting the house before. If the deal's not right for us in that it in any way over-commits, then we walk away. Simple!

Remember how we were sweating over Maddison's knee injury and the implications of not being able to sell him in that summer? We do not want to over-expose ourselves again, regardless of how alluring the YouTube video is.

Just now, Fuzzar said:

We've fallen into the trap of betting the house before. If the deal's not right for us in that it in any way over-commits, then we walk away. Simple!

Remember how we were sweating over Maddison's knee injury and the implications of not being able to sell him in that summer? We do not want to over-expose ourselves again, regardless of how alluring the YouTube video is.

I'm not sure there would be the kind of money that could be considered 'betting the house' involved in this sort of deal, especially as he's a young up and comer with plenty of resale value.

Just now, Fuzzar said:

Agree but we're in a completely different space now. 

Maddison was really the only player we had who was guaranteed to get us a load of millions, somehow Webber pulled off the mugging of Newcastle and Cardiff for the Murphy twins, our financial position it different to then and we have enough worth in the squad cover this move should it happen.