Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

36 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

He can also play at CM according to TransferMarkt.

Can he score a hat trick against Liverpool on Friday as well :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

1 minute ago, Dogbo Daggins said:

Why do you think Leitner over McLean or Vrancic?

I think his quality on the ball and ability to dictate tempo will be crucial this season. However I can totally see an argument for either of the others and the strength in depth is a great thing to have. I wonder if we might see more of McLean in the role Stieperman plays or even in one of the wide positions this season.

7 minutes ago, Dogbo Daggins said:

I wonder who the right Midfield partner would be with him?

An interesting one to ponder & a nice problem! Assuming a favoured 4-2-3-1 formation for the vast majority of games, you'd have to fancy Leitner. But McLean has earned a shot and Vrancic could be ideal alongside him. What about Trybull? Even Tettey might have something to offer over the season. The unfortunate Thompson needs to go out on loan. If this signing comes off, it creates lots of new options, e.g. McLean or Vrancic further up the pitch for the last 20/30 minutes. Trybull will probably hold the position while Amadou 'acclimatises' but for me, this is the most exciting signing of the summer. It will probably signify the end of senior incomings this window, leaving the domestic loan option free for January. 

• Like 2

Anyone know what this would mean for home grown quota? Seem to recall we’re bang up against it and it might mean one foreign player has to got out on loan / sold?

Edited by WD40

I think this would leave us with six players for the three midfield positions (DM/CM/AM): Amadou (DM), Trybull (DM), Leitner (CM), Vrancic (CM/AM), McLean (CM/AM) and Stiepermann (AM). Then we have Tettey as an emergency backup for DM and Cantwell who can challenge for AM as well as a wide position.

We're looking strong with lots of competition and lots of options, particularly in midfield and on the flanks. In terms of ability, it's hard to decide who is better than who in those positions (aside from maybe Buendia) and it's going to be difficult to leave several players out each game, as we'll end up with four or five players out of the team who are no worse than the ones playing.

Also, with this signing, it will give us two players for every position plus Tettey, Srbeny and Idah as backup options (although someone may leave nearer the end of August). I think at first team level, we're now done, and we have lots of exciting options.

• Like 1

Just now, WD40 said:

Anyone know what this would mean for home grown quota? Seem to recall we’re bang up against it and it might mean one foreign player has to got out on loan / sold?

We've got space for one more- Amadou would be that man. If Rhodes replaces Srbeny, that would free up another slot, or alternatively I can see Tettey leaving in January if his gametime is limited.

Well Amadou is heading somewhere, according to his instagram story. He is currently on a jet, hopefully not to Newcastle airport lol

32 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think his quality on the ball and ability to dictate tempo will be crucial this season. However I can totally see an argument for either of the others and the strength in depth is a great thing to have. I wonder if we might see more of McLean in the role Stieperman plays or even in one of the wide positions this season.

Agreed on Leitner. I always thought we'd see more of him this season (probably would have done last season if it wasn't for his injury). The style of football in the Prem suits his playing style. He'll likely get more time on the ball and will be able to dictate play, like we saw at the start of the Championship campaign last season.

Edited by BobLoz3

4 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Agreed on Leitner. I always thought we'd see more of him this season (probably would have done last season if it wasn't for his injury). The style of football in the Prem suits his playing style. He'll likely get more time on the ball and will be able to dictate play, like we saw at the start of the Championship campaign last season.

Agreed, I've put my neck out with my mates and said that I think he's our class player and will impress this season. 

I hope we get this guy in though, with him added we'll surprise a few this season. 

2 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Agreed, I've put my neck out with my mates and said that I think he's our class player and will impress this season. 

I hope we get this guy in though, with him added we'll surprise a few this season. 

Fingers crossed!

Yes, we do have a helluva lot of options now- especially in midfield. Getting the balance right will be key, I think. As we saw last season, if the team is doing well Farke is always reluctant to change it. I hope we can get a settled first 11 and have certain players come on (a bit earlier this season please Herr Farke!) to make an impact in the last half an hour or so.

18 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

The one advantage I'd give Vrancic is his range of passing is superior to Leitner- in games where we don't have much of the ball and want to counter then his ability to hit longer balls over the top may come in very useful.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Well Amadou is heading somewhere, according to his instagram story. He is currently on a jet, hopefully not to Newcastle airport lol

Yep, his agent is with him and he has posted very similar photos. So Amadou is certainly on the verge of signing something...

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

The one advantage I'd give Vrancic is his range of passing is superior to Leitner- in games where we don't have much of the ball and want to counter then his ability to hit longer balls over the top may come in very useful.

Another advantage I can think of is his freekick ability.

It will be a difficult choice! I'm glad it's Farke's to make and not mine! Clearly, though, Vrancy is just coming back to fitness so can't see that many starts at the beginning of the season.

It's actually crazy how many good options we have now, when just a year and a half ago people were writing some of these players off!

As much as a settled side is great, we may rotate and look at how we can take advantage of some sides.

One of the obvious things earlier last season was that vrancic had an ability to change a game from the bench. He would come on for Leitner and offer that little more precise passing and vision which helped win games pre Christmas.

I think both are very good players and I do think Vrancic is going to be a miss from set pieces during some games. So be good to see how he is rotated in.

2 minutes ago, smooth said:

As much as a settled side is great, we may rotate and look at how we can take advantage of some sides.

One of the obvious things earlier last season was that vrancic had an ability to change a game from the bench. He would come on for Leitner and offer that little more precise passing and vision which helped win games pre Christmas.

I think both are very good players and I do think Vrancic is going to be a miss from set pieces during some games. So be good to see how he is rotated in.

We're in good shape though if we get this guy. 

2 top class keepers, both full back positions covered, 4 good centre half's, wide options in Buendia, Roberts, Onel, centre mid quality of Leitner, Trybull, McLean and Vrancic, No.10's in Stiepi and Cantwell and forward line of Pukki and Drmic. 

And then add to this others like Tettey, Thompson, Srbeny and Idah. 

Think this might be the last piece of the puzzle. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

We're in good shape though if we get this guy. 

2 top class keepers, both full back positions covered, 4 good centre half's, wide options in Buendia, Roberts, Onel, centre mid quality of Leitner, Trybull, McLean and Vrancic, No.10's in Stiepi and Cantwell and forward line of Pukki and Drmic. 

And then add to this others like Tettey, Thompson, Srbeny and Idah. 

Think this might be the last piece of the puzzle. 

I agree, we needed this one to finish it off . Now we will have to see how he fits in. 

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Can he score a hat trick against Liverpool on Friday as well :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Nothing's impossible. Even better if the 3 goals come from a different position each time!

This was the signing that we needed, it was the key area of our team that needed the recruitment of a starter.

Yes TT will get his chance and we will have two combative players who may well sit alongside each other. But we are looking for that dominance that we hope we are getting.

The group looks set, if this comes off. If other champ clubs are going to come in for Rhodes then I think we will walk away. Srbeny could even move abroad after our window closes, if that were to happen.

Still a very exciting end to this window all in preparation for this new season.

Hope he settles well, certainly nobody can walk in as a prima Donna with the players we have, 3 of our back line are likely £20million+ players, Buendia and Pukki similar values.

He will be coming into a dressing room which is tight so it is time to be truly on board for the whole season.

If it comes through, this looks really promising.

Exactly the kind of out-of-the-blue thing i was hoping for - and to be honest, given the Webber effect, pretty much expecting.

(although - the football pessimist’s doubts and fears  are hard to keep entirely at bay during the long summer days!)

I think I’ll wait and see if it’s us that indeed sign him before getting too excited, as far as I can see there’s nothing remotely concrete yet but my fingers are crossed.

Apparently he is insisting on a release clause if he hears or reads anything even remotely related to that Black Lace song. 

It'll be like trying to suck a fruit pastille 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

You sound pretty  certain  Bethno, more so than the Dozzell debacle? I'd  prefer Amadou over pretty much anyone else  mentioned  in this entire thread, we can afford him, I presume?

Dozzell was hardly a debacle. That lot down the road smelt Premier league money and quoted a stupid price, allegedly £5m. It beggars belief that a player who struggles to get in the Ipswich team is worth any where near that amount and we said no thanks. To be fair to Ipswich, it wouldn't be very good publicity for them if their younger players jumped ship and signed for us. It's unlikely to happen again as Dozzell is the only one they've got who can run in a straight line without falling over. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I think I’ll wait and see if it’s us that indeed sign him before getting too excited, as far as I can see there’s nothing remotely concrete yet but my fingers are crossed.

Once or twice this summer the club has gone out of its way to dismiss a particular rumour, and that hasn't happened this time. A negative indication!

If he is good enough then I really do see this Amadou chap as the missing piece of the jigsaw because how open we are when we lose the ball attacking has been my biggest worry and I am hopeful that he will have the athleticism to provide suitable cover in front of the defence. Trybull is good when he's on it but at times he lack the athleticism to cover the sort of ground that Tettey did when in his prime. 

Its a shame he probably won't be up to speed for the first few games. 

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Once or twice this summer the club has gone out of its way to dismiss a particular rumour, and that hasn't happened this time. A negative indication!

They have been denials on a couple of occasions, yes, but I’d say that’s the exception to the rule - we’ve been heavily linked with plenty more players during the summer that the club didn’t deny, plus this rumour only surfaced a day or 2 ago so there’s still time yet. I’m just tempering my own personal expectation after getting perhaps carried away initially, that’s all - of course, I hope it happens!