Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

30 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

Sevilla FC has valued at ten million and between six and eight kilos, respectively.  🤣

You don't get many of them to the pound.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

....Is Drinkwater at Chelsea out of the question, lets face it if he doesnt move by Thursday, he wont kick a ball again until at least January.

Yes! Definitely out of the question.

Edited by Grando

Seems like things are heating up as we enter the last few days. The CDM option Amadou is interesting for obvious reasons, if he has the versatility to drop into CB as well all the better.

Gets me to thinking about Farkes comments about being happy with 'the size of the group'. We'll have cup competitions, but its a lot of mouths to feed with game time even now tbh. The window to loan out players closes at the end of the month so I would expect one or two to head out (Srbeny?) if someone comes in.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I wouldn't fancy Gnagnon after the Liverpool incident a few weeks back. It wasn't a tackle as the Pinkun article claims; it was an assault, simple as that. I'd be disgusted and embarrassed if a player ever did something like that in a Norwich shirt.

Just took a look at that incident; ruthless & very stupid. A player who can't control himself is a huge liability... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

Just took a look at that incident; ruthless & very stupid. A player who can't control himself is a huge liability... 

Yeah I agree and many pundits, journalists and players took swipes at Gnagnon after he did that. It was a pretty heinous thing to do.

• Like 1

Webber did speak on players becoming 'cheaper' the nearer the deadline came, and City would look again at players who would likely cost less ie those that for whatever reason are not in a club's future plans as so can move on.

With around 20% less league games this season I believe that we are covered suad wise, but long term planning and devlopment is an ongoing process so any 'try before you buy' loan is to be welcomed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

Webber did speak on players becoming 'cheaper' the nearer the deadline came, and City would look again at players who would likely cost less ie those that for whatever reason are not in a club's future plans as so can move on.

Gareth Bale? 😂

19 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

You could say the same about Sergio Ramos on an almost weekly basis, however he remains one of the best defenders in the world. I am not defending the guy, but someone shouldnt be written off based upon one poor decision.

Edited by jaberry2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

He would certainly add another 'spark' to our game on Friday night !

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

You could say the same about Sergio Ramos on an almost weekly basis, however he remains one of the best defenders in the world. I am not defending the guy, but someone shouldnt be written off based upon one poor decision.

Sergio Ramos can be a dirty player at times but I can't recall anything on the level of what Gnagnon did.

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

He would certainly add another 'spark' to our game on Friday night !

Arguably worth it just for this!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Sergio Ramos can be a dirty player at times but I can't recall anything on the level of what Gnagnon did.

Arguably worth it just for this!

The Gnagnon thing was a trip gone wrong. It was nasty, but I don't think it is as bad as people are saying. 

Emi's scissor tackle against QPR was more dangerous and likely to injure a player.

I have not seen the challenge and as said, in preseason no need for crazy challenges. But I do remember Gary O'Neill getting a straight red for a rash challenge. In fact I think it was his first ever red card in front of the dugouts at CR.

Now I am not comparing challenges, I am just noting that the challenge did not stop the reputation of O'Neill being that of an exemplary player and got his move to Bristol, if I recall rightly. He will have been reprimanded by the club and he will be moving on, this may be seen as a blip that fortunately did not leave the Liverpool player with a long standing injury.

Now I am delighted to see us finally linked to a DM, so trying to find some good videos, but a few bits look like the type of player we would like at the DM position, simple passing, strong on the ball in tight spaces and physical presence.

So at least we have something to ponder in these 2 players. May lead to nothing but at least with a few days to go I hope we are being very active

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The Gnagnon thing was a trip gone wrong. It was nasty, but I don't think it is as bad as people are saying. 

Emi's scissor tackle against QPR was more dangerous and likely to injure a player.

I disagree entirely. It wasn't an attempted trip; it was just an attempt to kick the Liverpool player as hard as he possibly could in the ankle. It was an assault and it was more dangerous than Buendia's tackle.

• Like 1

Sorry I did see the challenge the following morning and I do agree with Bethnal. I have seen much worse but I certainly would say it was a very bad choice, especially in a friendly.

But would not put me off if the other work was done behind the scenes

3 minutes ago, smooth said:

But I do remember Gary O'Neill getting a straight red for a rash challenge. In fact I think it was his first ever red card in front of the dugouts at CR.

Being pedantic, it was away at Stoke, he ran 50 yards to close down the ball then just clattered into and through the player - completely unnecessary.  I liked Gary O'Neil, very steady player.

Here's the video. I respect Bethnal a lot, he's certainly one of the best posters on here, but to describe that as a 'trip gone wrong' is ridiculous because nobody attempts a trip while swinging their leg at maximum force. It was an attempt to injure the opponent, plain and simple. 

It was similar to the infamous Francesco Totti kick on Mario Balotelli, which followed Totti around for the rest of his career:

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

" which followed Totti around for the rest of his career: "

there should not have been a career after that assault

59 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Here's the video. I respect Bethnal a lot, he's certainly one of the best posters on here, but to describe that as a 'trip gone wrong' is ridiculous because nobody attempts a trip while swinging their leg at maximum force. It was an attempt to injure the opponent, plain and simple. 

It was similar to the infamous Francesco Totti kick on Mario Balotelli, which followed Totti around for the rest of his career:

Let's be realistic, though.

Hasn't pretty much everyone wanted to kick Balotelli at one point or another?! 🤪

Maybe this is what prompted the "Why always me?" T-shirt.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/norwich-eye-sevilla-defender-loan-deal-option-buy-discussed/

Interesting as this article seems to suggest we are the preferred option. So could it be we have got in under Newcastle's interest, or is it that Newcastle cooled there interest, or is it paper talk.

Let's, if true, just hope if things are being discussed we are moving quickly and discreetly; let's get some business over the line.

A little OT but I see that Glen Middleton has been loaned out to Hibs.

He was very keen to go to Rangers and I think he intitially impressed. Seems a strange one, that, but I guess he is still pretty young and has time on his side.

I always thought he looked as though he could be a good player for us but I guess he wanted to be in Scotland and perhaps Farke didn't fancy him? Who knows.

Anyway, he'll link up with Whittaker at Hibs.

15 hours ago, Van wink said:

With the team back from Germany, having won all the friendlies played to date, still facing against Granada (Friday, August 9, 9:00 p.m.) and Extremadura (Saturday, August 10, 9:00 p.m.) before LaLiga starts, Monchi tries to lighten up in terms of discards, leaving some of the men who have been in the exit ramp for weeks without any of them having found accommodation.

They are the case, for example, of the four players who have stayed in Seville and have not traveled with the team to the 'pre-season' stage in German lands: Roque Mesa, Guilherme Arana, Joris Gnagnon and Ibrahim Amadou, once Aleix Vidal will leave on loan to Alavés. And for this, the San Fernando hurries the transfer window of the Premier, which closes on Thursday, August 8.

In these last hours the contacts by the French Amadou and Gnagnon have gained strength, to which Sevilla FC has valued at ten million and between six and eight kilos, respectively. Quotes that have significantly hindered their departures, opening now (after Monchi rejected it in early summer) the possibility of going on a loan, which would make everything easier.

Among those interested, highlights a Norwich, recently promoted to the Premier, who has been interested in both sevillistas, currently discussing the possibilities of closing an assignment in which there could be some type of purchase option or obligation based on the performance of the players .

The Burnley, which last year saved the category in 15th place in the table, is another club that has shown interest in both, advancing further by the defender Joris Gnagnon.

Some operations that, according to the sources consulted by ESTADIO Deportivo, very close to the negotiation, currently have too many fringes to be cut, although enough visas, too, to be able to close in these last days of the market.

It should be remembered that in the case of Amadou, who arrived in exchange for 15 million (five more than what Sevilla FC intends to recover now), has been linked this summer with Saint-Étienne (already discarded), Getafe, Newcastle and some Bundesliga team, while Gnagnon has been moved by the French Ligue 1, where he still has a cartel. Dijon, Rennes, Girondins, Marseille or Lyon are some of the clubs with which there has been some kind of contact."

The author uses some very poor Spanish😀

I’m going to call bullshiet on this one, just a gut feeling thing. It would be nice to bring in one or two more before the end of the window, but I’m keeping my expectations very low, especially in light of Daniel’s comments. 

26 minutes ago, smooth said:

http://sportwitness.co.uk/norwich-eye-sevilla-defender-loan-deal-option-buy-discussed/

Interesting as this article seems to suggest we are the preferred option. So could it be we have got in under Newcastle's interest, or is it that Newcastle cooled there interest, or is it paper talk.

Let's, if true, just hope if things are being discussed we are moving quickly and discreetly; let's get some business over the line.

A buy option if certain performance conditions were met (probably number of minutes played and Norwich stay up) seems sensible. Tettey will be out of contract next year so having another option already in the building learning the system and integrating with the team would be good.

2 minutes ago, WD40 said:

A buy option if certain performance conditions were met (probably number of minutes played and Norwich stay up) seems sensible. Tettey will be out of contract next year so having another option already in the building learning the system and integrating with the team would be good.

Loan with an option (or obligation) to buy is great for Norwich. I'm not sure Sevilla would agree though, as if Norwich are relegated - which is a real possibility - Sevilla might get very little for the player(s) and then have to try and sell them again next summer, when they have a relegation on their CVs. 

Sevilla may feel it is better to keep hold of the players and see if any interest from France arises, as they will have almost an extra month to their transfer window. They can also offer teams the same deal Norwich are looking for at the end of the European window if nothing better does materialise. 

Will keep an eye on this, but ultimately feel it would be a very hard deal to strike, should the rumour be true. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Loan with an option (or obligation) to buy is great for Norwich. I'm not sure Sevilla would agree though, as if Norwich are relegated - which is a real possibility - Sevilla might get very little for the player(s) and then have to try and sell them again next summer, when they have a relegation on their CVs. 

Sevilla may feel it is better to keep hold of the players and see if any interest from France arises, as they will have almost an extra month to their transfer window. They can also offer teams the same deal Norwich are looking for at the end of the European window if nothing better does materialise. 

Will keep an eye on this, but ultimately feel it would be a very hard deal to strike, should the rumour be true. 

I see your point, but if Norwich structure the deal by paying a large loan fee (£3m?) with the obligation to buy for about £7m (which meets the £10m asking price) in the event of survival and Amadou playing 20 games or whatever, then Sevilla could sell/loan him again next year whilst having already pocketed £3m. Norwich would be happy to pay £10m for a player who played regularly and would be able to cut their losses if he doesn't perform. It doesn't sound that dreadful for Sevilla.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I see your point, but if Norwich structure the deal by paying a large loan fee (£3m?) with the obligation to buy for about £7m (which meets the £10m asking price) in the event of survival and Amadou playing 20 games or whatever, then Sevilla could sell/loan him again next year whilst having already pocketed £3m. Norwich would be happy to pay £10m for a player who played regularly and would be able to cut their losses if he doesn't perform. It doesn't sound that dreadful for Sevilla.

Unless he comes to Norwich and bombs - then they have a player they might have got £10m for who they now can't shift for £3m or something. 

It also depends on how much Sevilla need the money now I guess - it looks like Monchi has gone back there and wants to do a big rebuilding job, clearing out a lot of players and bringing a load in.

It's an interesting situation, with a whole bunch of factors in play, I often feel if deals look too good to be true (and getting a highly rated midfielder on a try before you buy deal, does look very good) then it probably isn't true. I hope Norwich can get at least one, ideally both of these players though as they are a couple of talented players and would 'move the needle', so to speak, on Norwich's survival chances in my opinion.