Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

If this elusit DCM does appear, happy days, if not, play on. I get whoever's point it was that we bought Hanley, but wasn't that through exceptional circumstances. ( TKs injury).  There is no way Stuart Webber or DF are going to announce in a presser that 'we  are looking at  such and such player' they're way too smart for that........unless they are trying too unsettle  a player, who would probably be at a smaller club, as I doubt we'd have the clout to unsettle any one from a bigger club, most would be on more money than we can offer. That's ok with me. Maybe our wages/ club/ prem football would attract someone decent from abroad, but my knowledge of foreign players is minimal so who it would be,no idea.

Personally I think that when we took the title last season, so early after rebooting the Club, The Board realised that SW/DF know what they're doing.....and have given them assurances, not guarantees of course, that they will be backed in their decisions, Webber has made it clear that he thinks many players are overpriced and we just can't play that game. The interview with Delia and hubby gave me the impression that the  relief was tangible that money worries were not still top of the agenda at board  meetings, as they and others have said , we have no external debt, a great squad, cat 1 academy ,we've been promoted and are in great shape.  That's enough for me, for now. If the right player comes along then great stuff. Most importantly our Club is in a good place and being built for the future , whatever that brings. 

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 2

Just read that through, apologies to all for the Lakeyo  ( especially lakey himself)impersonation, but it's how I feel, don't think we'll win the PL title though. Not this season anyway. But I won't mind if we do.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Something is not right with the money situation in my eyes. The owners seem to be happy yo yo’ing between the leagues, whilst not heavily investing. Look at the transfers since 2012, there is profit, numerous prem seasons, parachute payments etc. I’m worried, I’m not going to lie

My belief is the board got burned by what happened previously and the financial issues we got into after the last couple of cracks at the Premier League and I wonder if the pendulum has swung too far the other way in terms of caution.

£20m for McBurnie (Sheff) and £20m for Webster (Brighton).

£20m is the new £5m!

Will be very interesting battle near the bottom between us and Sheff.

£20m for decent but not brilliant players. How much would it cost to get a significantly better defensive midfielder than Trybull? With no guarantees of performance or staying injury free.

Yep, this is real, proper ' prudence with ambition'. I like it.  Let these guys take the Club as far as they can before someone makes them an offer they can't refuse. My only caveat would be that once the Club is really financially stable with money behind us, not just in front, that they back off on squeezing every spare quid out of the fans. Bayern home  ticket around €20. Benfica , walk up Prema League ticket at the gate 20 mins before ko @€17.  Good seats too.

9 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I said in another post that I do respect Norwich's approach to not just bringing in anyone. However, I do wonder if too much money was used on other things and maybe the squad should have been the priority. 

I don't mean that we should just bring in anybody, but was there really nobody available that fit the bill?

22 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

This one just won’t go away, I think he’ll be here come 11pm Thursday night...

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/norwich-city-continue-to-pursue-sheffield-wednesday-man-ahead-of-transfer-deadline/

I hope not, having seen Idah highlights and his hat-trick yesterday, looking a big quick and very good player, he’s got far more potential to get us goals than Rhodes.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

I hope not, having seen Idah highlights and his hat-trick yesterday, looking a big quick and very good player, he’s got far more potential to get us goals than Rhodes.

There's always (understandably) a tendency formula to overrate our own account academy products. Rudd, Martin, Spillane, Henderson and so on. If Webber and Farke think we need Jordan over Idah, I think we trust their judgement, nuff said.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

There's always (understandably) a tendency formula to overrate our own account academy products. Rudd, Martin, Spillane, Henderson and so on. If Webber and Farke think we need Jordan over Idah, I think we trust their judgement, nuff said.

Well we shall see, come Friday, but I’m begging to hope they don’t, we don’t need a championship striker on £20k he’s never been good enough at this level and past his best now, it’ll just be an expensive bench sitter, we can have a cheaper option and develop Idah, but like you say let’s see what Farke & Webber do.

12 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I don't think I'd ever describe our fans as overrating Chris Martin. 

On 02/08/2019 at 14:43, Dogbo Daggins said:

I wonder if they tried to sign someone but couldn't. Is it better to buy no one than the player you really want?

No deal is better than a bad deal......

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’d much prefer the elusive DM, but I do think there’s a role that Rhodes can play, too.

I agree if we're having to spend money. I was a big fan of Rhodes but if there is money in the kitty to add then it has to be cover/competition for Trybull. 

It’s interesting how we’ve so readily taken up the assumption that we don’t have any ££ - given we had £3.5m to buy the lad from Motherwell(?).  

Yes we have certainly had some large cash outflows, including the bond buy-back, but the point is that transfers aren’t usually about having cash upfront, it’s all about staged/payments (eg Emi et al).  And any signing would also be a saleable asset should it be required.

I’m definitely not opposed to giving the promoted squad a chance - if nothing else that is only fair - but I’m still sure there’s areas where improvements would be obviously beneficial.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Only 4 days now until the window “SLAMS” shut. This things not just closing, mind your fingers people.

On 02/08/2019 at 20:22, wcorkcanary said:

Yep, this is real, proper ' prudence with ambition'. I like it.  Let these guys take the Club as far as they can before someone makes them an offer they can't refuse. My only caveat would be that once the Club is really financially stable with money behind us, not just in front, that they back off on squeezing every spare quid out of the fans. Bayern home  ticket around €20. Benfica , walk up Prema League ticket at the gate 20 mins before ko @€17.  Good seats too.

Typical Norwich fan. Wants the best but doesn't want to pay for it😂

Rhodes is the type of player who will be in the right place, he has the instincts and experience in the box and reminds me of Murray at Brighton. If the ball is dropping to someone you want it to be a player like Rhodes (or Pukki) in the dieing moments.

If we had Pukki, Drmic, Rhodes and Idah I think that looks better than Pukki, Drmic, Srbeny and Idah. I do think Srbeny has a place in the squad maybe as a 10 but on paper I think the first list looks stronger.

I also think this season we are going to need the big characters in the dressing room. We have a fair few, but we are going to have some dark times and some players are suited to helping many see the big picture.

It would not surprise me if a deal was or wasn't made. I see this as a 50:50. I am happy either way.

As many though I think if 11pm passes on Thursday and no DM many will be wondering why.

10 minutes ago, smooth said:

As many though I think if 11pm passes on Thursday and no DM many will be wondering why.

or even 5pm

Looks like we're really pushing for Rhodes. Idah played (well) for the U23s which he may have to suffice with barring injury and loss of form.

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 14.02.27.png

2 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Looks like we're really pushing for Rhodes. Idah played (well) for the U23s which he may have to suffice with barring injury and loss of form.

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 14.02.27.png

I would be amazed if we spent that much on Rhodes as a basic fee. I could see a deal in which we paid, for the sake of argument, one million as the basic fee, with another million or two or even three as an add-on if we stayed up.

Surely Rhodes has more chance of playing for Wednesday than he does us.  Whats his ambition?  Why come to Norwich knowing there's unlikely to be any football when he could fight for a place at Wednesday.    If he gets regular football for us then it's likely we'll be struggling.    He's not got the pace or the strength to be an EPL striker.   If money is so tight, do we really need a Championship level striker on contract this season when we have Drmic and Idah in reserve.     Surely if we get relegated, (we won't), we will have Idah, Pukki, Drmic and other U23s coming through.  Any deal for Rhodes just doesn't make sense.

Edited by ged in the onion bag

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Typical Norwich fan. Wants the best but doesn't want to pay for it😂

Don't mind paying, getting stung to be 'in with a chance' of maybe getting a ticket...no thanks.

27 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Surely Rhodes has more chance of playing for Wednesday than he does us.  Whats his ambition?  Why come to Norwich knowing there's unlikely to be any football when he could fight for a place at Wednesday.    If he gets regular football for us then it's likely we'll be struggling.    He's not got the pace or the strength to be an EPL striker.   If money is so tight, do we really need a Championship level striker on contract this season when we have Drmic and Idah in reserve.     Surely if we get relegated, (we won't), we will have Idah, Pukki, Drmic and other U23s coming through.  Any deal for Rhodes just doesn't make sense.

I agree that accepting a bit part role in a team when one is supposed to be in the prime of their career does appear as a lack of ambition. We’ve been told on a few occasions his family are settled here, so he must be factoring in their needs too.

If we do go down we have an integrated player ready, willing, and somewhat proven to go again in the champ should our brighter lights leave. We hear he’s good in the dressing room, a professional, and think I’m right in saying he was on the pitch playing an important role in all of our late comebacks last season.

Saying “any deal for Rhodes doesn’t make sense” is a slight overstatement, I think.

Edited by WD40

I think also he is a great player to have to teach to Idah and other young forwards.

We now have Drmic and Pukki, international strikers, who can help Idah and other forwards development. The great thing is Rhodes is a different style and he has bought into our set up.

But it has been talked about so much, which says it is a decent enough conversation.

It's a big few days coming up, certainly key to our season and playing personnel.

On 02/08/2019 at 19:09, king canary said:

My belief is the board got burned by what happened previously and the financial issues we got into after the last couple of cracks at the Premier League and I wonder if the pendulum has swung too far the other way in terms of caution.

I'm fairly sure if Webber had a primary target for a sensible amount of money he wouldnt have too much trouble convincing the board considering what hes achieved so far.

Pukki, Drmic, Idah and Rhodes seem a good combination to me. I know some think three is enough, but Rhodes has a great attitude and could help Idah along too.  I can see Pukki and Drmic getting on the pitch every week, one as a sub of course.

Idah and Rhodes would be good for cup games - which there could be a few - and wait their chance in the first team.  Who knows, Drmic or Pukki may both be injured or off form and that is when the other two would come into their own. 

Also, Rhodes seems the ideal extra man to have, loves Norwich, can help the dynamic of the squad which he knows well and still have goals in him when required. There is not another forward player out there that ticks as many boxes as he does for those criteria.

• Like 1