Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I see no reason for him to make such a definitive statement unless he believed it to be true. 

Obviously things could change between now and the close of the window, but as things stand, it seems Norwich are done in the market.

It doesn't sound completely definitive- he said he 'expects' no signings. That doesn't mean it won't happen. 

On another note, I see the much-discussed Bielik has gone to Derby for £7.5m, rising to £10m. Would he have been worth it?

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It doesn't sound completely definitive- he said he 'expects' no signings. That doesn't mean it won't happen. 

On another note, I see the much-discussed Bielik has gone to Derby for £7.5m, rising to £10m. Would he have been worth it?

I think that is just semantics. 

Bielik is primarily a centre back who can play in midfield. Not really suited to what Norwich need,  

Certainly we know players need to understand our ethos and team conhesion and I hope we have spoken to DM.

It could be they have not fitted but I do think that this is a glaring miss and was the one position that all of us felt a new starter was definitely needed.

Or Bethnal as you say £££ went elsewhere, but I hope we still do have a look until the window shuts for this position.

If as the window shuts we don't have a DM it does put us in a much more precarious position for the season and my hopes of giving us a chance of survival are lessened.

5 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I see no reason for him to make such a definitive statement unless he believed it to be true. 

Obviously things could change between now and the close of the window, but as things stand, it seems Norwich are done in the market.

Farke has never rocked the boat and is always praising Webber “for giving him these wonderful players”. This is par for the course.

Webber and his head of recruitment will keep going until 11:59 next Thursday evening.

Darren Bent made the point about expecting Kalvin Phillips to move. It looks like Villa and perhaps Sheff U (if they get McBurnie) have shot their wad, which could leave us the only promoted club in the race for him... that’s would be ideal. 

1 minute ago, WD40 said:

Farke has never rocked the boat and is always praising Webber “for giving him these wonderful players”. This is par for the course.

Webber and his head of recruitment will keep going until 11:59 next Thursday evening.

Darren Bent made the point about expecting Kalvin Phillips to move. It looks like Villa and perhaps Sheff U (if they get McBurnie) have shot their wad, which could leave us the only promoted club in the race for him... that’s would be ideal. 

Even if Villa and Sheff U have moved on, he is still going to cost the £20m Leeds want for him - which Norwich can't afford.

I am not sure Phillips is worth 20m. He is a great player who I would love to have, but I think we could find a similar caliber player for half the price and wages abroad.

Also, his price has most likely gone up in recent weeks following the sales of players like McBurnie & Mings etc - Leeds will want a bite of the 'rip off the prem teams' cherry.

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Even if Villa and Sheff U have moved on, he is still going to cost the £20m Leeds want for him - which Norwich can't afford.

Probably more precisely Norwich don’t want to pay, agreed. 

Phillips is the type of CM I feel our midfield is currently lacking - a player who is not only good in possession but can cover ground quickly. Kante didn't cost a fortune, does he have a younger brother?

3 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Phillips is the type of CM I feel our midfield is currently lacking - a player who is not only good in possession but can cover ground quickly. Kante didn't cost a fortune, does he have a younger brother?

Agreed. Young, talented, tenacious and in home grown quota. Fits the mould in all ways other than costing a fortune!

I would like to see an extra CDM come in, but we do have some versatile players who can also play there. I’m happy with the squad. My big thing is injuries to key men, we will need some luck on that front - it’s the difference to a good season and one that could be disappointing. But we showed in the first half against Champions League Atalanta, that playing a strong 11, we can more than compete. Let’s hope we come through against Toulouse unscathed - that’s my last wish for pre season.

26 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

I am not sure Phillips is worth 20m. He is a great player who I would love to have, but I think we could find a similar caliber player for half the price and wages abroad.

Also, his price has most likely gone up in recent weeks following the sales of players like McBurnie & Mings etc - Leeds will want a bite of the 'rip off the prem teams' cherry.

If Tyrone Mings is 'worth' £26.5 million then Phillips is certainly worth £20 million.

We won't be signing him.

I wouldn't be surprised if we are pubicly feigning our willingness to walk away from negotiations for players in order to get the best price / deal ... sounds like Brexit!

I would be very surprised if we spent under £2M on improving our squad ... however, if we do I don't think we're doomed.

47 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I said in another post that I do respect Norwich's approach to not just bringing in anyone. However, I do wonder if too much money was used on other things and maybe the squad should have been the priority. 

I respect the club's approach but I think there's a paradox that we conceded a lot of goals last season yet it is our three young defenders who are probably the ones who have been most linked with being snapped up by some of the bigger Prem teams.  And upgrading at DM would be a big help in cutting out the unnecessary goals we've been conceding and helping us to survive.

But all the promotion money spending that I'm aware of has gone on the squad (aside from the Bond being repaid).  We've upgraded a lot of contracts and the remainder probably have promotion increases build in, we've paid promotion bonuses, we've brought in players with various costs involved, we've had to pay out on the likes of Buendia.  All of that seems squad related to me.

Has there been any major spending announced on other areas ?

30 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

If Tyrone Mings is 'worth' £26.5 million then Phillips is certainly worth £20 million.

We won't be signing him.

But Mings is not worth 26.5m. 

He is not even worth half of that.

1 minute ago, HertsCanary93 said:

But Mings is not worth 26.5m. 

He is not even worth half of that.

Hence the use of these things '        '

13 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I respect the club's approach but I think there's a paradox that we conceded a lot of goals last season yet it is our three young defenders who are probably the ones who have been most linked with being snapped up by some of the bigger Prem teams.  And upgrading at DM would be a big help in cutting out the unnecessary goals we've been conceding and helping us to survive.

But all the promotion money spending that I'm aware of has gone on the squad (aside from the Bond being repaid).  We've upgraded a lot of contracts and the remainder probably have promotion increases build in, we've paid promotion bonuses, we've brought in players with various costs involved, we've had to pay out on the likes of Buendia.  All of that seems squad related to me.

Has there been any major spending announced on other areas ?

Fair points, and to have retained all of our squad from last season without any sales at all, is in itself an achievement.  We knew last year that Maddison would be going, then the money we received for the Murphys was an unexpected bonus.

That said, the gulf between the Championship and the Premier League is huge, so it does feel like a bit of a gamble to go into the new season with 4 new players and none in positions to address the number of goals conceded as replacements/upgrades on the incumbent players.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I said in another post that I do respect Norwich's approach to not just bringing in anyone. However, I do wonder if too much money was used on other things and maybe the squad should have been the priority. 

Short-term, possibly yes. Long-term, no. And I think we saw in his first season here that Webber has his eyes fixed firmly on the horizon, not next week.

Although we did buy Hanley fairly quickly, so...?

2 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

But where else is the money being used, except on the squad ?

When I said squad, I meant squad additions. Even if the Canary Bond repayment had been delayed a year that would have given the club an extra £5m to use this summer.

30 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

When I said squad, I meant squad additions. Even if the Canary Bond repayment had been delayed a year that would have given the club an extra £5m to use this summer.

I think like most people I'd like another 1 or 2 additions to come in but I actually like the common sense approach from Webber. 

Look at that lot down the road, look at Bolton, look at others that are on the brink, I for one don't want us back there and I suspect when we were close last time we were really close. 

We have our own stadium, our own training ground that has been developed to be up to date, we have a cat 1 status academy, we have bought some really great young talent, we have secured the contracts of our first team to make them worth more when clubs come calling and mroe importantly if we get relegated we won't 'need' to sell all of our talent as we're financially in a secure place. 

The value of what we have now on the pitch is provably over £100m and as someone put, Webber is about the horizon not tomorrow. 

We have some players that will shine this season and we'll give 90% of the teams a test and pick up some unexpected results I'm sure. 

Were we tracking this player - if we were I can see why we didn't bite at that price...

Derby have signed Poland Under-21 international Krystian Bielik from Arsenal.

The reported £9.5m sum paid for the versatile defensive player, including add-ons in the deal, would become a club record for the Rams, to eclipse the £8m spent on signing striker Matej Vydra from Watford in 2016.

I think the board are setting themselves up for some difficult questions further down the road.

We're a debt free club with a not huge wage bill and £50m profit in transfers over the last couple of season, coupled with a promotion windfall yet we're being told that we just can't compete at even the £10m level. 

If we go back down there will be questions about how we thought we could survive with such little spent.

If we stay up there will be questions around what then? Do we still try and work such a low budget. 

Whichever result though I'm concerned at how long ambitious folks like Webber and Farke will want to work under such budget constraints.

6 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Were we tracking this player - if we were I can see why we didn't bite at that price...

Derby have signed Poland Under-21 international Krystian Bielik from Arsenal.

The reported £9.5m sum paid for the versatile defensive player, including add-ons in the deal, would become a club record for the Rams, to eclipse the £8m spent on signing striker Matej Vydra from Watford in 2016.

Wow I agree he looked a player but that’s a hell of a fee for someone that has played most of their football in League 1.

On the one hand I can why we aren’t interested at that price. But the market is only going one way surely?

Reckon we could have competed at 10m if we actually rated him at that. Remember we're willing to spend 3m on somebody that was going to go into the under 23s or get loaned straight out.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think the board are setting themselves up for some difficult questions further down the road.

We're a debt free club with a not huge wage bill and £50m profit in transfers over the last couple of season, coupled with a promotion windfall yet we're being told that we just can't compete at even the £10m level. 

If we go back down there will be questions about how we thought we could survive with such little spent.

If we stay up there will be questions around what then? Do we still try and work such a low budget. 

Whichever result though I'm concerned at how long ambitious folks like Webber and Farke will want to work under such budget constraints.

Something is not right with the money situation in my eyes. The owners seem to be happy yo yo’ing between the leagues, whilst not heavily investing. Look at the transfers since 2012, there is profit, numerous prem seasons, parachute payments etc. I’m worried, I’m not going to lie

1 hour ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we are pubicly feigning our willingness to walk away from negotiations for players in order to get the best price / deal ... sounds like Brexit!

I would be very surprised if we spent under £2M on improving our squad ... however, if we do I don't think we're doomed.

Surely a recipe for disaster. We should simply pay up whatever the asking price.  :classic_rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Surely a recipe for disaster. We should simply pay up whatever the asking price.  :classic_rolleyes:

I might be wrong but I thought our finances were in a real mess when Webber got her 2 years ago as he commented on how badly things had been done under previous people. 

A lot of the money received from player sales went towards re-balancing the books and he doesn't want to overspend again. 

We have an owner worth a few mill, Villa as an example have owners who are allegedly the richest person in Egypt and a super rich American who make Delia look poor. 

We have to be sensible, they can throw many millions at it without worrying. 

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Ah, I'm with you.  Yes, I agree, I can't ever remember a promotion when we were so focused on getting new deals signed with our existing squad.  Have we actually brought in anyone who's expected to be the starter in his position ?  Possibly Roberts, and at GK I suspect Fahrmann will be our starter even if not on day 1.  But it's brave to be starting with very much the same starting lineup as we finished last season. 

Looking at the numbers, I'm guessing we do have the money available for at lease one impact signing, and I have to be honest I'll be disappointed if this is it.

Also people really shouldn't be so focused on transfer fees nowadays - if you're lucky enough to get a player who's out of contract, it just means your money goes to the player rather than to the completition. 

3 hours ago, Excited Canary said:

And with that quote, my hopes for survival have diminished hugely. Genuinely shocked we aren’t spending big (by our standards) on a CDM. Can we really not afford £10m?

Maybe ask SDP for a name change 🤔?